Woodlands Pure Veg

Vegetarian Indian restaurant features South Indian food. Simple decor. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Indian, Buffet, Catering

First Review by MadP
niawilliams
niawilliams

Best vegetarian Indian restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

Boy was I happy when I went vegetarian and found this place. I just knew if I couldn't have lamb at an indian restaurant, there would be nothing left to enjoy. Lol. Great food! The vegetable vindaloo is great. Hot! But great! The bread is awesome too. I've been going to indian restaurants since I was a little girl and this place definitely isn't lacking.

Pros: great food, staff very helpful, quick service
Cons: location
osocurious
osocurious

• non-vegetarian

Great Indian food even for non-vegetarians

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2012

I'm an omnivore, but when I want really tasty Indian food I travel across town to Woodlands. The flavors are just so much more alive than other Indian restaurants. I need to keep a log of my visit times though, I've had one or two average visits (never a bad one though). I've also had a few transcendental experiences. I'm sure it has to do with who is in the kitchen, and there is probably a pattern. One of my favorites dishes here is Uppuma, a cream-of-wheat pilaf kind of thing that is just delicious. They are closed Tuesdays so plan accordingly.

Pros: delicious, all vegetarian, lots of vegan
Cons: location (for me anyway)
bduboff
bduboff

Yummy unique Indian

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Had a great meal here including the Pongal Avial, Mushroom Szechwan Noodles, Potato Bonda, Tomato Soup, and Chapathy. Everything was excellent. Loved that they had so many items that were unique (at least to me).

Pros: unique items, delicious
Cons: little shabby, light on fresh greens (like all Indian)
3dollarbill
3dollarbill

super tasty vegan offerings

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2012

i ate the weekend lunch buffet at this out of the way, small reaturant and i was VERY pleased. when i asked the hostess what was vegan on the buffet, she took me over and showed me before we were seated. out of 19 items on the buffet, 16 were vegan!! all was hot and fresh from the tomato soup, to the uthappam, several curries, a noodle dish, and fresh chapathy. each table was also served hot masala dosas. is the building small? yes. is the decor stale? yes. but, with a high quality of spicy, savory vegan food, all that fades into the background for me. i will most def make the 1.25 hr drive at least twice a month.

Pros: vegan , prices, selections
Cons: out of the way
westondrive
westondrive

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Need I say more.

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2011

I travel frequently and it is difficult to find nice family home style cooking. The food is awesome, prices great, service wonderful and the list goes on and on. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking out a Veg place to eat.

We drove from downtown charlotte and it was worth the drive. Just remember to leave a positive review afterwards. Next time I am in town I will come here and leave satisfied.

Mainer
Mainer

Great Sunday Buffet

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2010

My vegan husband and I met in Charlotte on short notice this weekend, and were happy to find this place on Happy Cow since we were not familiar with the area. The waitstaff were good and friendly, and pointed out the few non-vegan items on the buffet for him. We used the free Wi-Fi. The buffet was diverse and tasty, and the decor and bathrooms were nice. The only drawbacks were that someone used a noisy dustbuster to clean the diningroom floor during the peak of lunchtime hours, and my booth seat was lumpy- minor stuff. The price for the buffet was very reasonable, and one look at the diverse menu made us wish they were located closer to us in Knoxville.

hblake
hblake

Great Indian Food

4 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2010

I disagree with another poster about it being difficult for vegans - all you have to do is ask! We went on a slow Sunday afternoon and had great service and the food was fresh and wonderful. In fact, craving it right now!

Pros: all-veg, extensive menu
Cons: location, decor outdated
OceanDeep
OceanDeep

EXCELLENT FOOD but Difficult for Vegans

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

This place is not too far away from where I live. Its in a nook of a location that is small and quaint, don't expect a 5 star operation. The taste of the food really makes up for that though, its superb!

The menu could have more detail to help distinguish which meals contain dairy/egg and which don't but the staff was helpful and willing to recommend dishes to fit our tastes and needs.

Over all its a very pleasant dining experience for people who love their food full of flavor and free of meat, truly its bursting with flavor and great texture you will not miss meat even if you aren't veg/vegan.

Pros: Flavorful, Wide variety, No Meat
Cons: Difficult to find Vegan Options on menu
Epawe
Epawe

BEST Indian Vegetarian

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2008

What can I say, it is just the best. Flavor, recipes, experience, and friendliness make this "out-of-the-way" restaurant worth the trip.

Pros: Healthy, Excellent Food
Cons: location
hoffmans2
hoffmans2

Great Indian food

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2008

The food was excellent and the atmosphere was open and friendly. I would go back if they were closer to Lake Norman.

Cons: Location not for novice drivers
MadP
MadP

• raw

Absolutely Spectacular Food

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2008

This restaurant has, by far, the best Indian food I've ever tasted. It's just so well cooked and the flavors exceed other Indian restaurants I've tried. You can't really compare this restaurant with Udipi, because Udipi seems a little more traditional, vegetarian based, and surrounds curries.

So with that said, otherwise, it's good comparatively...as in, they have a lot of the same dishes that other Indian restaurants around Charlotte have, but theirs taste so much better.

I highly recommend this restaurant. Don't be put off by the decor, or lack there of, the real magic is what's going on in the kitchen.

Pros: Delicious Food, Nice and Helpful Staff, Excellent Prices
Cons: Outdated Decor
Guest
Guest

Best Indian restaurant ever!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

It is 100% vegetarian. And this place has the best tasting Indian food of any Indian restaurant I have tried. And I have tried many (at least 20).

Their dosais are great, especially the ones with hot peppers in them. The vegetable kormas have a super smooth and creamy sauce. I really recommend trying the appetizer sampler platter. One dish they have, gobi manchurian, is not exactly Indian (more like Chinese), but it is also one of my favorites.

They now have a buffet on the weekends before 3 pm.

Pros: incredible food, decent prices, very clean
Cons: bland atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlands Pure Veg: