Woodlands

Vegetarian Indian restaurant offering lunch buffet daily. Main entrees usually served with rice, pickles, and raita. Try the rasam soup. Most of the items are vegan, and staff is knowledgeable regarding what's vegan and what contains dairy. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering
3415 W End Ave (I-440)
Nashville, Tennessee 37203
615-463-3005

Open Tue-Fri 11am-2:30pm, 5-10pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-2:45pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by maliciouskami
Docric
Docric

Great food, great service

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2014

I do not live in Nashville, but this is my "go to" place when visiting. Great food. Pleasant helpful staff. Although not entirely vegan, all the vegan items on the buffet are marked as well as the gluten free items, and there are plenty!

Last trip was on a Sunday morning for the buffet. We arrived at 11:30 when they opened and the place was full by 12:00! That says a lot.

Food is fabulous. Would eat there daily if I lived in town. There are many different choices on the buffet. All are great and I think authentic!

Pros: Great food, great service, great location
Cons: not entirely vegan
GigglingPixie
GigglingPixie

Yummy vegan food!

5 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2013

Nice selection of vegan food. We were vacationing in Nashville for one week and ate dinner here twice. The staff was very helpful in telling us what was vegan on the menu (large selection). The food was yummy & the servings were LARGE (arrive hungry). The restaurant was clean & service was fast. The prices are very reasonable. There is a vegan dessert, but we were too full to try it : (

Pros: large vegan selection, good value, clean & helpful staff
Raesock
Raesock

Wonderful for vegetarians

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

This is our favorite place to eat in Nashville. We probably go twice a month. The food is so good, I've never had anything bad. My favorites are the dosa, and the hakka noodles. I have not been back since we made the switch to veganism though, so it will be interesting to see how that goes based on some of the other reviews I've read. We take meat eating friends here all the time and they love it too. the food is so flavorful and the service has always been great.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 06, 2013
Since going vegan, this place has remained at the top of my list when eating out in Nashville! They have started labeling everything on the buffet and over half of the food on the buffet is vegan. If you go at night, just mention to the waiter that you are vegan and they can make lots of suggestions and make things vegan for you. I have never had a bad meal at Woodlands!

Pros: great good, nice staff, dosa
Cons: parking can be tough
Rick1976
Rick1976

Fantastic Food

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

I love Indian food, so I always enjoy a good Indian restaurant...but Woodlands is one of the best I've ever had. Their food is delicious and filling, and there are plenty of vegan options on their menu. I have not had their buffet so do not know how many vegan items there are on it. But the menu itself offers plenty of vegan options. I definitely recommend this fantastic restaurant. The service is very efficient and the staff are friendly and fast. My parents, who aren't even vegetarian, and one of whom has never even had Indian food before, went with me upon my recommendation and LOVED it! I cannot recommend this place enough!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Lots of vegan options
Cons: Not enough vegan desserts
Elizabeth Herman
Elizabeth Herman

humongous deliciousness

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

The buffet was fresh, varied and fantastic. Most dishes were vegan. A nice surprise was the dosa served at the table with the meal. Cauliflower fritters and saag paneer really stood out. Fast, attentive service and joyful family atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, family atmosphere, good service
Landen
Landen

Top Notch Cross-Cultural Vegan Dining Experience

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

This was by far the most vegan friendly Indian restaurant experience I have had thus far. The owner and staff have gone to great creative lengths to modify the ingredients of traditional South Indian fare, and render them friendly to the vegan lifestyle. They sacrificed nothing in quality to accomplish this. The food was incredible, and the staff were very friendly and helpful in pointing out what options are vegan. Most options are vegan friendly, but do note that there are selections that may not be vegan. Be sure to ask the staff for assistance in identifying items privy to your particular vegan/vegetarian lifestyle.
I highly recommend their lunch buffet!

Pros: AMAZING food!, friendly, helpful staff, reasonably priced
Rayelle
Rayelle

• non-vegetarian

Very Tasty

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

Because it sits under a high rise off of West End, it could be easy to miss. But Woodlands is the type of gem you discover..and find it hard to forget. IF you're accustomed to Indian cuisine or like to try new things, the food is delicious. The place is family owned, clean and peaceful. The set up is casual and dark. I recommend the dosa(very thin, crispy type bread)filled with curried potatoes, and comes with little silver dishes of varied lentil, rasam and other curries.

Pros: everything
Cons: can get busy
tempest
tempest

Vegan friendly no more, avoid

2 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

While this restaurant was almost completely vegan back in 2007 and my absolute favorite Nashville restaurant, on my most recent visit I found that milk products were now in 90% of their buffet items. When I was being shown around the buffet, the employee (who was at a loss to find items that were vegan) suggested an item with butter in it because "some vegans eat butter."
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 18, 2007

Pros: Atmosphere
Cons: Milk is pervasive
Guest
Guest

Exquisite

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2009

Nashville, TN was a midway point for me on a drive from Orlando, Florida to Davenport, Iowa. I consulted Happy Cow's database for a place to eat dinner last night and decided on Woodlands not far from where I was staying. On my way into the restaurant from the car I saw an Indian family with doggy bags walking to their vehicle so the first impression was "if Indians enjoy this Indian restaurant, that's a good sign!". When I walked-in I was immediately greeted and sat and received a full glass of water and menu before I breathed a full breath. The service was amazing, knowledgeable, kind, quick, considerate and warm. The food (from the soup to the main course) hit all the right spots with delicate attention to the level of spiciness for which I was in the mood last night. Everything on their large menu sounded delicious and the Mushroom Masala I ordered was perfect with the plain Naan. I couldn't have been happier and more pleasantly surprised. The prices were extremely reasonable, I would certainly return if I ever find myself in Nashville again. Namaste.

Pros: Service, Food, Prices
KandE
KandE

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

I attend 3-4 conferences per year with another vegetarian and it is always a challenge for us to find something to eat. Not here. The only problem we had here was where to start. I don't remember what we ordered (we asked the waiter for guidance), but it was great. We both believe in asking for "Indian spicy" (i.e., really hot) and were not disappointed. The prices were reasonable for the amount of food we got.

Pros: Selection variety, portions, helpful staff
Cons: Location
vegan-nutritionista
vegan-nutritionista

Great Vegetarian Indian Food!

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

This is a great Indian restaurant, one of my favorite in Nashville. On the weekend they have a yummy, inexpensive buffet lunch with many chapati, salad, soup, desserts, and several main entrees.

During the week, we like to share one of the special dishes that has an assortment of different entrees and comes with a soup and drink.

If you are looking for vegan options, you do have to ask what is made with ghee, the clarified butter, and also if any cream or milk has been added to the dishes. They are very helpful with finding vegan options.

maliciouskami
maliciouskami

Overwhelmingly menu!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2007

My boyfriend and I visited Nashville and had to take a taxi to get to Woodlawns. It's kind of hidden. The menu was amazing--we had vada, idli, dosas, korma, fried bread--a massive feast all made vegan and for $25. We ate so much we made ourselves sick and there was still leftovers. A great value for your money. Also--my boyfriend is from South India and he gave it his seal of approval and authenticity!

Pros: Authentic, Way too many options, Affordable
Cons: way too much to pick from!, hidden location

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlands: