Serves meat, veg options available. Previously all vegetarian by same name. Indian restaurant specializing in South Indian food. Offers a lunch buffet daily, more extensive on the weekends. Try the dosas. Food can be made vegan upon request. Vegetarian food is cooked separately from meat. Price: Moderate more-less
Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg
4205 Hacks Cross Rd 101 (Highway 385)
Memphis, Tennessee 38125
901-737-9914

Open Mon-Fri 11am-2:30pm, 5-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10pm.

First Review by sunny
gmjohnso
gmjohnso

Inspired menu, mediocre Indian food

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2010

There are better Indian restaurants in the Memphis area. I have been to Woodlands twice. On the first occasion, we had the buffet which was all-vegetarian at the time. They had many options, including complimentary dosas, but the food was just not that good. On the second occasion, we ordered Vegetable Samosas, Gobi Manchurian, and Chole Bhature off the menu. And again, the food was not very good. I love the options and variety on the menu, but the food is not flavorful. The Manchurian is supposed to be a light meal, but the fritters were smothered in an overpowering, heavy green onion sauce. The Chana Masala (chole) was crusty and bland, like old leftovers. What's most befuddling is that we asked for spicy food, but there was no spice at all. (Very unusual for Indian cooking, no?) The only good food we had at Woodlands was the samosa and tamarind chutney. Both were excellent. But we will not return. I was disappointed that Woodlands added meat to their menu. I hear they did it because they wanted more customers. The problem was not the vegetarian menu; it was that the food is just not exciting.

If you're looking for truly exquisite Indian food, drive south to Oxford, MS, for Maharaja.

Pros: varied menu, lot of veg options, quick service
Cons: bland food, serves meat now
Lindsey
Lindsey

Positive experience!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2009

My husband and I are both vegans, and our waiter was very helpful when we asked him what menu items contained dairy. We asked about eggs too, and I believe he said that eggs are not even considered vegetarian for them so they weren't in any of the food.
The food was absolutely delicious. Seemed very fresh.
The ONLY thing that I can say would have made the experience more enjoyable is if the menu items were marked if they were vegan.
Good service, very extensive menu, highly recommended!

Pros: hot, fresh food, good service, extensive menu
Cons: menu items not marked if they are vegan
sunny
sunny

• non-vegetarian

hidden gem

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

i visited this place 6 times since they opened and its just simply great. i heard a lot things about this restaurant since they got a branch in nashville. its really amazing, they got vegan food on memu and buffet too, just ask the server whos a very freindly. the food was great and i loved it on all my visit though it was total different menu all the time.

Pros: healthy , freindly staff, excellennt
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlands: