Woodlands - Leicester Square

Casual setting, featuring South Indian vegetarian cuisine. Confirmed open Nov 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine
37 Panton Street (Leicester Square station exit)
London, England SW1Y 4EA

zubora
zubora

Delicious!

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2015

I am very happy to have found Woodlands and will be sure to come back next time I'm in London. I was seated quickly and immediately got a vegan menu when I asked. Service was brisk yet friendly and the food had what was for me the perfect amount of spice. Just enough to tingle but not enough to burn. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and the experience.

kelwood13
kelwood13

Wonderful

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2015

I am slightly confused by the older reviews because my experience at Woodlands was fantastic. The food was very flavorful, and I had to order two glasses of juice to fight off the hot peppers that appeared in my masala, despite my past filled with spicy dishes. The staff was quiet, but efficient. My food came in little time and the server gave us menus as we sat down. My only qualm with the service is that the server forgot to give me a discount, which I gave him a voucher for. Nonetheless, the food was still very satisfying.

Pros: yummy food, quick service
Cons: Slightly cramped, forgetful waiter
Pamina
Pamina

Fantastic Indian food!

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2014

Woodlands is a restaurant with very friendly staff who explain all the dishes to you and also what is vegan and what is not. I had the Mysore Royal Thali, a recommendation of the waiter, which was huge and absolutely delicious. It was slightly expensive, but considering the location and the size of the meal I think that's ok. I also liked the calm and pleasant interior.

EDIT: Visited again and it was just as good!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 13, 2014

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff , Great location
Cons: Slightly expensive

henj
henj

For spicy lovers

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

The service was quite poor. we waited quite a long time for a menu, and then waited little longer for an explanations (most dishes bear an indian name), and ended up with a recommendation from the waiter for rise...it was weird
anyway, some dishes have a spicy-pepper sign, but any dish we ordered (without the spicy sign) was very spicy as well...it's important to know that
the food was nice, and the prices were ok

Pros: central, nice food
Cons: poor service
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Just as good this time

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

When we were last in London, we ate here and thought it very good. My wife and I enjoyed it just as much this time. The place is clean, the food is excellent, the staff was very helpful and it is quiet enough to have a conversation while you are eating. We order the Thali which we are unable to get in the Indian restaurants in our home city. It is all good.

Pros: Central, Excellent food, Bright and clean
wuthering
wuthering

Not as good as it should be

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

I've been to this particular Woodlands many years ago, and remember it being very good. We went again last night and were under-whelmed at pretty much everything. The service was surly, which is highly unusual in Indian restaurants. The food was 'good', but not very good - a little sloppy. I had a Dosa that was overhanging the plate, burnt in some places, soggy in others. We ordered a special type of salad and got just sliced onions and cucumbers, not what we ordered (my partner didn't want to say anything so we didn't). I really wish I had better things to say about this, but with the sheer number of other veg restaurants, including Indian, this doesn't cut it any more.

Pros: Central location, Ice cold beer
Cons: Unfriendly servers, Order messed up, 'Sloppy' food
dsc2078
dsc2078

Great Sunday Evening Dinner

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2011

Looking for a good vegetarian option for myself and two business collegues who are not vegetarians. Everyone was thrilled with the food (we were some of the few non-Indian folks in the restaurant) an indicated they would be more than happy to eat at this spot again during our week in London.

Pros: excellent food, variety, casual atmosphere
ANT33
ANT33

Unexciting but reliable

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2010

The food at this long-established restaurant is under-spiced for my palate - but some friends like it that way. Portions may seem small and not great value, but it is (almost) in Leicester Square.

Pros: Quick service, Reliable
Cons: Under-spiced
elisecroft
elisecroft

A bit tasteless.

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2009

Conveniently located behind the theatres on Haymarket the restaurant is nicely furnished and the service was very good. But the food was tasteless. I ordered the dal saag and it was quite a small portion as well. I also wasn't asked how hot I wanted it. I think more spice would have added a bit more flavour.

The restaurant isn't vegan but they were more than happy to comply with any requests and the food came very, very quickly (I was actually a bit concerned it may have be premade and reheated).

Juice was very nice, though.

khb
khb

Not the best

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

A little bit expensive for what you get, and some of the dishes didn't taste quite right. Still, even mediocre South Indian food is pretty good. But Sagar in Hammersmith is both better and cheaper.

Pros: a bit expensive, food doesn't taste right

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlands - Leicester Square: