Woodlands

Small vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring South Indian cuisine. Known for its South Indian thali which changes slightly each day. Vegans must specify to the waiter to take off the raita & any veg dishes containing yoghurt. Dairy milk in used in idli mix per Nov 2013 report. At Exit P1 of East TST & TST MTR Stations. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian
16-17 UG/F Wing On Plaza, 62 Mody Road, East Tsim Tsa Tsui
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Open Mon-Sun 12-3pm, 6:30-10:30pm.

First Review by vkapadia
Lanky
Lanky

Good if not great

4 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2012

Woodlands provided a decent thali tonight, I liked that they offered to top up each thing as i finished them. Usually they dont offer unless you ask. I didnt need any refills, because the serving was big enough, but its nice that they offered.
I must disagree with the previous reviewer, and say that the menu appears to me mostly southern Indian to me.
Staff was friendly for HK standards.

Pros: Decent food, Decent Value
Cons: Pretty lacto
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

It Was Satisfying

3 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2011

We had a little difficulty finding the place and it definitely seems like a cafeteria. The food was good; we had a modified South Indian Thali and the only other choice would have been a Dosa. The place was fairly busy but lacked atmosphere and had a worn look to it. We left full and happy.

Pros: Food tasted good
Cons: Lacked choice, A little shabby
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Vegan South Indian Thali - delicious

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

Have just finished a delicious lunch.

A South India Thali - papad - 2 rotis - plain rice - rasam - sambar - 2 chutneys - 3 vegetable oreparations - dahl - all for HK$ 77 / US$ 10 including tax.

Now feeling fully satisfied.

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 31, 2009

Ride up the escalator to the "Upper Ground Floor" - Woodlands is then on your right.

Open Midday to 15.30 & then 18.30 to 22.30 - every day.

Very "lacto-" & serving mostly north Indian food.

It is possible to "vegan-ize" some of the dishes if you discuss with the waiter - seriously.

I have been visitng the old location since the mid-90's & now the new location - several of my friends are hooked on the place.

The food is OK - good for the tongue.

The rice can be grim - I usually order a few veg dishes with dahl & the chapati's / roti's.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Glad they are back!

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

Came here for the first time for dinner since they reopened at this new location. Mostly South Indian cuisine with a couple of dishes from the North too. We ordered some idlis to start with, which were a nice alternative to the other deep fried snacks. For main courses we had a vegetable biryani, mashed eggplant with tomato, alu mutter (potatoes and peas curry), and some chapatis. The alu mutter was a mistake, I told them to cancel but they never did. It was mostly gravy with very few potatoes and peas. The biryani was tasty, came in a generous portion too. The eggplant dish was really yummy, good for the palate but very oily. Maybe better stick with their South Indian specialties. It was definitely a satiating meal though, pretty cheap too I thought. Will for sure come back and try their South Indian dishes instead.

PS. To get here, just walk out from MTR exit P1 and the mall is right in front of you.

Pros: good value, location
Cons: cheap, can be oily
Ashni
Ashni

yummy indian food

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

I really enjoyed our dinner here.

The restaurant is located in the shopping mall up a flight of escalators.

There is a huge range of dishes, they can be made vegan and there are also several jain dishes.

We had the north and south indian thalis. They are refillable which is mentioned on the menu but easy to miss so a good deal if you are feeling really hungry. We thought both thalis were really delicious. they were between $80-95 for thalis, and dosa were $48.

We got there early, around 7.30pm and it was quiet, however got quite busy by 9pm.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
vkapadia
vkapadia

Great Food, Mostly

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2009

Woodlands is a great place to eat. I do not live in Hong Kong, but my parents do, and they go here a couple times a month at least (for people who don't eat out often, thats a lot!) and I have been there 3 times.

Most of the food I have had at Woodlands has been superb. Their dosas are very well done, the vadas are amazing, and their paneer is very good. The only dish I have tried that wasn't great was the cholay. It was insanely oily, I could fry my rotis in the excess oil I could skim from the top. Could have been a one time mistake though, I haven't ordered it again. They also have almost every item available in "Jain" style (no onions or garlic). Prices are not exorbitant, but are not very cheap either. A fair price for great food.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. If you have any special requests, let them know, they will do whatever they can to help.

The location is prime, it is near a lot of interesting places. It is also a quick bus ride from where we are staying. It is in a building with many other shops, and the restaurant itself does seem a bit crowded, but they have done well arranging the room with the space they have available.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Staff, Location
Cons: Oily Cholay, Crowded Space

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlands: