Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe with a light food menu of breakfast and lunch items in addition to drinks and baked goods. Hosts events and lectures on spiritual subjects. Open daily. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, Thai, Beer, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by kool_kitchen
happy_haarpist
happy_haarpist

Tasty and interesting drinks

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2014

I'm vegan and my girlfriend is omni - so it was great that we could both sit down and have something to eat.

Wonderful atmosphere, it was quite exciting just being here.

I was mainly interested in the "magic potions" that were being advertised here. Before I go on, I will emphasise that these are not "drug-drinks", they are delicious herbal drinks/tonics.

These drinks reportedly "help you to open your heart , bring vivid dreams , stimulate your vision , promote your psychic awareness and balance your energies."

I had the potion named Vision. It included but was not limited to bayleaf, mugwort, clove & cinnamon and was said to "stimulate the 3th eye & helps you see beyond the surface." Aside from being a quite a tasty and interesting drink, I will report I received no psychoactive or physiological reaction!

A warning to anyone consuming these drinks: even though they are merely herbs, one must be cautious if you are planning on consuming large amounts of the medicinal herbs in these drinks; mugwort can be dangerous in very large amounts and you should always check any contraindications between any herbs and any medication you are taking.

The meals cost a little more than many other places in Pai, which is something to keep in mind if you are on a strict budget.

Pros: Excellent range of interesting drinks, Caters for Vegans, Vegetarians and Omnis, Great atmosphere
claireabella
claireabella

Very overrated

2 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

We found this cafe on Happy Cow and it was rated highly on trip advisor, so we expected it to be above average.. The descriptions in the menu sounded pretty good, however as a vegan my choices were fairly limited.
I chose the tofu salad with peanut sauce. When it first came out, I was immediately disappointed and thought that my 6year old nephew would actually do a far better job in putting this salad on a plate. To call it a peanut sauce was a stretch. There was a faint peanut taste but I think the rest of the peanuts had gone on holiday or something. Luckily I really like iceberg lettuce, don't really remember there being much else apart from tomatoes and the fried tofu.
My partner had the veggie pasta option. I tried a mouthful without any cheese and it was pretty tasty. Portion size was very small for the price though.
The atmosphere wasn't anything to write home about, so all up, I'm surprised by the high rating on trip advisor.
There was also a very skinny dog sitting out the front that the staff kept moving away. She was a really lovely dog despite being homeless and looking like she had recently had pups. She wasn't annoying customers in any way so I wasn't too impressed with the staff.... It is Pai after all!! I got her a meal up the road and fed it to her away from the restaurants. If you see her, please do the same as her waist is tiny.
Won't be going back to this cafe but would love to return to Pai someday :) The desserts sounded great but I'm not sure if they were vegan friendly.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 17, 2012

Cons: Lackluster salads, Not really animal friendly
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

I should have gotten the crepes

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

The dish I had from here (cauliflower and garbanzo bean curry) was good and all but it didn't blow me away. The taste was subtle and the consistency balanced but...there was just something more substantial missing. Perhaps mushrooms, tofu, or seitan? My friends had two different types of crepes which looked INSANE. Everyone's food looked incredible and it seems to always be busy here. It's a bit pricier than other places but the portions are moderate to large and the food is quality. I'd have liked to given it another shot before i left. Great ambiance as well.

Pros: Quality food, Lovely ambiance, Large portions
Cons: Pricier than most places

kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

veggie friendly

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2010

Almost gourmet standards. It has a limited veggie options but they get vegan dishes. They have a nice pasta pesto vegan option. There is Tofu steak with veggies and creamy mushroom sauce not vegan a little sweet but very nice.

A vegan-virgin Strawberry Colada is just dishy. Also there deserts were nice there was a really gourmet style dark chocolate cake.

Lovely fushion teas

Not great seating think hard benches but the food is pretty good for veggies.

Prices are ok think 50 baht for the colada.

Pros: vegan options, refined tastyu food, european style cuisine
Cons: uncomfotable seating, not great on atmosphere, could use more veggie/vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Witching Well: