CLOSED: Wisma Merdeka...

Small stall serving vegetarian buffet located at the Wisma Merdeka shopping complex. Egg is used in some dishes. Buffet from around 9am-4pm. MAR 2014 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by bianchina
eeyoresenigma
eeyoresenigma

Excellent surprise for vegan traveller

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

Food courts are usually not known for their excellent food. However, this is not the case for this food stall. I was not expecting great vegan food in a food court in fish heavy Malaysia. Admittedly, I am a sucker for vegan meats but this place has some of the best veggie dishes around. It was a welcome treat after traveling through Sabah and only sometimes being able to order tofu/tauhu.

My bf and I shared one plate which came with a large scoop of rice and we chose four dishes: BBQ pork, ginger fish, pork, and stir fry eggplant. All excellent! None of the flavors were overly salted or powerful but flavorful enough to stand alone. Each dish had its own sauce and flavor. The nice lady working the booth (I call her Mama, there are mamas serving food all over Asia in my book) also gave us some freshly made corn soup to clear the pallet. So good!

The day we went there was only one dish that was made with egg, which left us with a ton of choices. Mama kindly answered all our questions about the dishes and pointed out the dish that was made with egg without us even asking for it. So great! I highly recommend this place and only wish that I had more time in KK to eat here again.

Pros: Good value, Variety of dishes, Staff is kind
Cons: Hard to find/in a mall
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Great place!

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

Ate here twice (June 2012) both times the friendly owner did her best to describe everything to us which was sweet! We were veggie at the time, so I wasn't paying attention to dairy/egg content, but to be honest she has SO many options on her buffet cart I'd go here regardless as many of them will be vegan by default.

The food was lovely- a mixture of mock meat, veggies, tofu, curries, noodles, etc, definitely something for everyone. She just looks at what you've got and says a price- for us it was about £1 per full plate of buffet. An utter bargain, so we gave her more and let her keep the change, I was happy to pay more!

It's in a food court on the 2nd or 3rd floor where most the food is, so take your time to find it. I think there are TWO veggie stalls in here from memory, but we only ate at this one.
I think she did close at 4 or 5pm, so we came once for lunch and once at the end of her day as an early dinner and stuffed ourselves silly!

Pros: very cheap, lovely owner, good variety of food
Cons: can be hard to find, shuts around 4/5pm
GuamVegan
GuamVegan

Delicious & good value!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

I visited in Feb 2012, and I was addicted! I kept going back again and again and still dream about that food!

There are 2 vegetarian food stalls. Because I'm vegan, I ate mostly at the buffet. The chinese lady was so nice. The price was very good, and the food is chinese, malay, etc. It was so good!

Pros: Delicious, Good Value, Vegan
Cons: Closed for Dinner

leon48
leon48

Vegetarian oasis in Sabah

3 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

One of very few places in Kota Kinabalu who makes vegetarian food. A friendly lady from thailand runs the business. Buffet from around 9 am to 4 pm.

Pros: friendly staff, cheap
Cons: at the end of day, food are almost cold
Macbethedge
Macbethedge

Good enough!

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

The restaurant is call vege garden open from 9am to 5pm is on the food court. Is buffet style, cooked early but keep warm, or you can pick something from the menu which actually is a bigger portion, I got fried rice that came with pieces of ham, chicken and vegetables and a side of fried chicken for 8 ringgits, it was too much food for me. Eggs are served here. There is a juice place that is the one that carries the drinksof thefood court, all juices are mix with power milk so make sure to say no milk (if you are vegan)

Pros: Cheap, Easy to find
Cons: Eggs are served here, Not open at night
bianchina
bianchina

mixed feelings

3 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

there were some pluses and minuses - it was a great relief to have assuredly vegetarian food (well actually i'm vegan and they were able to provide that too), the woman running the place was very friendly and flavours were pretty good. the down side was it was pretty oily (some dishes - not all) , the food was not kept warm, not even the rice,and it did kind of look like it had been sitting there a long time - which i'm sure it had. they do definately use eggs i saw them on both occasions i visited. anyway i would still go there again, i'd rather eat there than in a restaurant that serves meat any day!!

Pros: friendly, central, easy to find, variety, flavours were good
Cons: quite oily, food not kept warm, they serve eggs to me is a con

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Wisma Merdeka Vegetarian Stall: