Wise Cicada Wholefood Cafe

A community cafe contained within a organic wholefoods store, bookstore, and naturopathic health clinic all under one roof. Serves plant based food; uses honey. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Juice bar, Western, Take-out

First Review by Naki Girl

Humungous breakfast for hungry tourists

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

One of the few Auckland veg restaurants that stays open in summer. What a find! The self serve breakfast buffet was great. I started with some delicious creamy porridge. Then had sausages, tofu scramble, mushrooms, baked beans and felafels. Also came with toasted sourdough walnut bread and hummus. Fantastic. We didn't need to eat again until dinner!

Handy having the shop there too. It is huge! We got everything we needed for our road trip down the island. Great service as well.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 07, 2014

Pros: Great vegan breakfast , Excellent coffee, Well stocked huge shop

100% Vegan Organic Breakfast Buffet? Yes, Please!

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

Wise Cicada never disappoints; whether you're after freshly made juices, wholesome salads, organic groceries, a plant based buffet or raw food, they can cater for you. Freshly made juice costs at NZD9.50, salads between NZD9.90 and NZD13.90, breakfast for around NZD15.00, and the buffet at NZD25.00. There is also a huge variety of fully raw desserts to choose from, typically around NZD6.00 a serving.

Thanks to its fairly central location, I've had the pleasure of dining here countless times. I vividly remember the first set of salads I had here, one of which was the massaged kale salad that introduced and turned me into a kale lover. Some of the other choices included roasted root vegetable salad, quinoa salad, tofu salad, and a raw beet and carrot salad, all of which were full of flavour and are of course healthy. Another bonus is that anyone who orders salads get free extras such as hummus and toasted nuts and seeds. On one occasion they had raw 'refried beans' as an extra, and it would be an understatement to say that it blew my mind. Absolutely amazing.

On another occasion, I had the luxury of trying out their breakfast buffet, which extends until 1pm on weekends. Here I was introduced to another amazing dish I'd never tried before: millet porridge. Yeah yeah bird food whatever, it was faaantastic with the cashew cream and fresh fruits. The buffet also offers tofu scramble, baked beans, sauteed mushrooms, veg falafels and sausages, wholegrain and gluten free breads, cereals, jams and nut butters. Although everything was delicious, if you aren't very hungry then I'd suggest going for salad instead; in my opinion, the price is a bit steep for the amount of choices available.

The ambiance of the cafe itself is lovely, filled with healthy happy people and friendly chatter. It is always clean, and the service is always top notch thanks to the helpful staff at hand.

Pros: Delicious, healthy, organic, Good ambiance , Friendly staff
Cons: Prices can be steep for some

Big vegan breakfast

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

Ordered the big breakfast - not as big as I expected, given the price. It came with vege sausage, tofu scramble, baked beans, sauteed mushrooms & toast. Also ordered a vegan brownie to go - not the best, but tasty enough! I wish I'd had more time, as Wise Cicada is also a lovely organic grocery store.

Pros: All vegan, Organic grocer
Cons: Price

Quest for a Vegetarian Lunch lead me here

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

Being new to Auckland, I am so grateful for this website and GPS. Anyhow that aside I walked from Parnell to this great store and cafe. I enjoyed a mixed salad. There were plenty of salads to choose from and yummy vegan dressings to top them off. The raw dessert I had was an Apricot and Coconut Cheesecake which I ended up eating later in the day as the salad was very filling. When I did enjoy the cheesecake, it was very fresh tasting, light and fresh. I would recommend this place for sure and would love to go back when I'm next in Auckland to taste more vegan delights.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 20, 2012

Pros: Healthy, Ample portions, Great Tasting
Cons: A little pricey, Only one in NZ! , No outside seating from what I could see

Great intro to vegan cafe food!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

As the first vegan cafe we visited, wise cicada had a lot to prove. It definately made the grade though. Being a cold and rainy day we both had the soup and bread which was delicious, lived up to the high praise from the entertaining chef! We also had THE most delicious hummus ever (we want the recipe!!) and took 2 sweet treats home with us (vegan "cheese"cake and chocolate biscotti which were both yummy). Its a lovely shop with plenty of wholefoods for sale and friendly, helpful staff. Also a loyalty system which is a bonus. Will definately be making a regular trip here.

Pros: Nice staff, Excellent food, Great selection of wholefoods

ORGANIC INTEGRITY QUESTIONABLE

2 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

The Wise Cicada is a nice place to hang out & I especially enjoy the raw juice extractions & smoothies, delicious! Its also the only place in town where you can get hemp milk smoothies & mochas, etc. I am disappointed in the change of ownership in the last wks, I loved the previous girl as she made us feel really welcome & had heaps of helpful advice & time to give. Also I have noticed the salads seem now to be laden with fruit syrups & I hear that the food being served now is largely not organic. I was particularly concerned to hear of a low quality palm oil being used in the choc drops, I was under the impression they were made using raw cacau & cacau butter, but found this not be the case. The palm oil isnt even organic & not from a sustainable resource. Also the staff are not informing customers that battery eggs have been used in the brioche being sold, when the customer is under the impression all is organic. This left me with a very sour taste in my mouth due to the integrity being questionable, the lines being blurred. Please keep it organic folks, or if it isnt please inform your customers, I was very unhappy to hear of this misrepresentation & would only go back to the juice bar because I trust the young guy in the juice bar........I definitely wouldnt go back for the food because I dont trust anymore what I am being served.......

Pros: friendly guy, organic juice, hemp milk mochas
Cons: misleading, unsustainable ingredients, deceptive practice

Excellent,

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2011

Entire menu is vegan and delicious. The cakes are amazing and everything is so healthy. I eat here regularly, there is a new chef now and set prices for food, which is better as the food is great and they use organic produce which isn't cheap, so I'm more comfortable with a set price. Staff are very friendly and they stock a huge range of organic produce. Highly recommend.

Pros: Amazing food, Great staff, Great product range
Cons: Can't think of any!

Nice food & cakes + organics shop

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

It's practically all vegan. I had a curry with 2 side salads, then another selection of 4, a smoothie, a pot of tea and 3(!) vegan cakes - all because I missed breakfast and rolled it into lunch. The staff are extremely friendly and the food was delicious. The place itself is inside a large organics and health store, and the ingredients are organic too - so both vegan and organic, what could be better. The gift payment system cited prior was not on when I was there, which is understandable with the crisis, cost of living going up and using organic ingredients - it may not be sustainable, and I was happy with what I paid. I also grabbed some delicious dark German bread with a bit of beet in it, and from the shop NZ organic hemp oil and unrefined organic sunflower oil which is a rarity here. Also, if you are after mock meaty things (like I am) there were quite a few in the shop's freezer to choose from.

Pros: Nice food, Great vegan cakes, Organics shop
Cons: It's not free?

Lovin it

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2010

Always smells divine when you walk in. Great food - haven't had a bad meal yet. Good range of fresh salads, beans & grain meals. Their smoothies are excellent. Has a relaxed feel and warm atmosphere with friendly staff. Like being able to pick up a few items for the household at the same time and browsing through the unique range of books at Goodeys (inside Wise Cicada). Took a bit of getting used to when asked what you want to pay (threw the other half into a spin lol!) but it feels good to be part of something unique which adds to the experience.

Dear Owner and Manager of Wise Cicada Wholefood Cafe: