Wild Ginger - Carroll Garden

Quick service vegan pan-Asian food made to order. Includes Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai cuisines; western style vegan desserts including a peanut butter bomb chocolate cake. Natural and modern decor. April 2014 reported as all vegan menu. "Non-vegan" items listed on website menu are no longer available. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Pan Asian, Take-out
112 Smith St (btwn Dean and Pacific)
Brooklyn, New York 11201
718-858-3880

Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 12:30-10:30pm.

First Review by veganmarcy
slithers
slithers

Great Environment, Good Eats

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

This place happened to be near our hotel & I was expecting a hole in the wall, but was very pleasantly surprised. It has nice & interesting dark decor & ample seating for a small place.
The menu was extensive & we had trouble deciding what to get. I got a spinach salad which was simple but good & we got tofu skins to share, also good (though much less wholesome). For entree I got a coconut curry dish with soy medallions which was satisfying, but not spectacular. The pepper seitan dish my partner got was the same.

I stayed away from the few items with soy cheese due to other reviews (& other personal experiences in NYC) possibility of casein.

Pros: Atmosphere, Large Menu
Quinten84
Quinten84

good taste for high price

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

You'll have plenty of options here, stretching over various Asian cuisines. My bibimbap had a local twist, but tasty. Prices are too high for what you get.

Pros: tasty, nice decor
Cons: overpriced
u2nyr
u2nyr

Great vegetarian option in Brooklyn

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

Very good food. we got steamed vegetable dumplings, they're excellent, Basil Soy Protein is very good as well. Staff is freindly and helpful, prices are reasonable. the only downside is the terrible music that is played in the restaurant quite loudly.

Pros: Food, Service
Cons: Music

forestfairy
forestfairy

not good...

2 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Maybe we picked the wrong dishes to order, but our food was pretty bad.
The summer rolls were okay, but for my main I ordered a brothy noodle soup which I thought would be great on a cold day. It tasted like warm water with a dash of spice, and they added fake shrimp to it (which I wasn't prepared for). I tried the fake shrimp, even though I usually don't like processed faux meats, and it was pretty much inedible. My husband had a sweet and sour seitan dish, which was just okay - a lot of sauce and very few veggies.
Overall, not a place we'll eagerly return to.

Pros: nice vibe, good value
Cons: rubbery faux meats , tasteless food
saysuan
saysuan

Wild Ginger, Brooklyn

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

Wonderful restaurant with great food. Good decor. The staff were really friendly and explained menu items. We ate there a couple of times during our short visit. Every dish was delicious. Made me want to live in NYC.

Pros: Good prices, Nice decor, Delicious food
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Excellent Food

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

I had several items on the menu and all were great. The exception was the crumble dessert. It was way beyond great. It was worth the trip all by itself. This place and the Dao Palate have almost identical menus.

pradipd
pradipd

One of the best in NYC

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

Wild Ginger in Brooklyn, a branch of the namesake in Lower Manhattan is one of the best vegetarian restaurants in NYC. This one beats the one in Manhattan with its serene ambience, spacious room and wonderful service. The menu is quite identical, and the food in both places is just awesome. Plus, it is very reasonably priced for NYC. Go for it.

Pros: Flavors, Value, Ambience
Landry
Landry

AMAZING!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

This restaurant is one of the best vegan restaurants I have ever eaten at. The salads are top notch and well balanced. The food quality is great. They know how to cook! The other Wild Gingers in New York are great too but this one is definitely the best! Its the same menu at all of them by the way, they just cook and prepare everything perfectly. The waiter was incredibly and genuinely nice too!

Pros: Food Quality, Service, Superb Cooking
grassfield
grassfield

Solid vegan Asian cuisine

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2011

The food was delicious. We had the spring rolls, the mango soy protein and general tsao's soy protein. All were very nicely done. The service and surroundings were also nice.

Pros: good food, service, environment
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

tasty!

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2010

i really enjoyed eating at wild ginger. it was my first time there. we started with scallion pancakes which were delicious and we ended up ordering another cause they were so good. i also had a salad which was very good with a yummy dressing. for my main i had the general tso's chicken which was fantastic! i have been craving it from time to time since then. plan on going back very soon.

veganmarcy
veganmarcy

Great restaurant, although not really vegan

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2009

Yummy food, cozy and restful setting. Slip into one of their wooden booths and forget your daily cares... Their vegan Thai iced tea tasted a bit off, maybe just a personal preference. The Jap-Chae korean potato noodles were surprisingly filling and mixed with various tasty veggies and mushrooms. The coconut-rice with raisins was a little dry, but fine. What really knocked my socks off was the pumpkin soup - the chunks of hot pumpkin melt in your mouth, mixed with sweet potato, white beans & cilantro. PERFECT on a chilly day. And their peanut butter bomb is a tantalizing, albeit super filling, way to cap off a great meal.

FYI this applies to their Cobble Hill location, but seems like it could apply to all their locales - their soy cheese is NOT vegan, it has casein (milk product) in it. It's not marked on the menu as such, I had to ask for them to read their soy cheese label. They were happy to do so, but I just wanted to warn anyone having (for example) the soy cheese-stuffed wontons at a "vegan" restaurant. There was also an item marked as having whey (milk product) and you should specify whether your thai iced tea/coffee is made vegan or non-vegan. Hope this helps!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Cozy setting
Cons: Hidden non-vegan items
  • changoamable changoamable

wontons are now made with daiya cheese - but the teriyaki still contains whey (for what reason I still don't know._

• Wild GInger Wild GInger

Thanks for the lovely review. We do apologize for the wontons--we are now clearly marking the wontons, as well as the smoked teryiaki seitan, as--regrettably--non-vegan.

Dear Owner and Manager of Wild Ginger - Carroll Garden: