Whole World Natural Bakery...

Re-opened in June 2010 as reported to HappyCow. Originally opened in the mid 70s as a pizza place and bakery then expanded into a full menu. The funky wall mural from the 70s captures that early veg spirit. Offers vegetarian comfort food. Many options, daily specials, and vegan soups. Small place with around 10 tables. Gets crowded for Sunday brunch. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Western, Bakery
3269 N High St (Como Ave)
Columbus, Ohio 43202
614-268-5751

Open Tue-Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 10am-9pm, closed Mon.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by briank
Rifester
Rifester

Been a customer for a long time...

3 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

I have been eating at Whole World since the eighties. The food is very good. They offer many vegan options as well. The home made bread and fresh ingredients are what keep me coming back. That being said, there has always been a problem with service at this restaurant. The restaurant is very small and yet many of the servers can't seem to manage the basic skills necessary to perform their job. We still visit regularly and now I am bringing my children. Some of the servers are fantastic which is why it makes this review difficult for me. We really enjoy their Sunday brunch menu.

Pros: Fresh food, Great variet of meals, Healthy
Cons: Small, Sometimes poor service, Parking
rockcita
rockcita

disappointing

2 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

When our party ordered two pizzas, we were told it would take 50 minutes. At first, I thought the server said "15 minutes", which is about right for a place with a real pizza oven, but 50 minutes?? When the pizzas came, we were informed that one was made with real cheese, so they were remaking it. Oh joy! This after waiting for 50 minutes. The pizzas were okay, but nothing exceptional. The server never did bring an ordered salad and drink, but they were on the bill. We had a couple of desserts that were good. The restroom was down a narrow, dim stairway in the basement that, quite frankly, was majorly spooky. Other people may have had good experiences at this restaurant, but we certainly did not, and we will NOT ever be going back.

Pros: decent desserts
Cons: long, long wait for food, poor service
agp91
agp91

Great Spot

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2013

I've been here countless times over the last few years. In many ways, it's a community treasure.

If you go in for the brunch on a weekend, do yourself a favor and get the vegan big breakfast.

On a weekday, everything you really need to know is on the chalkboard. If you really must resort to the menu, I'd recommend the gyro or the BLT.

If you like southwestern flavors, go for those. They often have quesadillas, tacos, or other tex-mex-inspired dishes that can really measure up. My experience here with asian flavors has been my only disappointment.

The soup is almost always great. In the summertime, the gazpacho is particularly awesome.

Grab a coffee bite on your way out!

Pros: Menu changes often., Good food, especially for the price., Nice atmosphere; a good feel of C'ville.
Cons: Staff often overextended., Small space., Sometimes closes earlier than posted.
kerryannjeep
kerryannjeep

Great Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

We Are From Out Of State And Stopped In For Dinner. The Gyro And Eggplant Sub Were Delicious. I Wish This Place Was Closer To Home. We Got Some Cookies To Go.

Pros: friendly, delicious, variety
Cons: none
cookie1908
cookie1908

Excellent meal, small restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2012

We truly enjoyed our meal at Whole World Natural Bakery. My husband and I both ordered the daily special, which was a Jamaican Black Bean Burger (homemade) - absolutely delicious! It could have a bit a bit spicier, but we were still very pleased. The burger bun was OUTSTANDING, and made fresh in their bakery. When you go, please order something that includes their bread! We also purchased two vegan cookies - peanut butter/chocolate, which were extremely tasty. All said, we'll back back again when visiting Columbus.

Pros: Inexpensive, Homemade bread/cookies
Cons: Restaurant a bit small

masseynorton
masseynorton

really good food

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2012

I have had the vegan sloppy joe, eggplant meatball sub, and oregon apple pizza (all subbed with daiya cheese) and everything was incredibly delicious.
The bf has had the foccacia melt (real cheese) and he loved it.
Delicious "comfort food"

Pros: delicious!!!!
Cons: small dining area/limited seating
jaynamac
jaynamac

Where everything is done well!

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Whole World is a little corner of vegetarian and vegan paradise. I'm vegan, and had a hard time deciding what to order because there were so many delicious sounding options. The soups are all vegan and served with fantastic toasted bread. I really recommend ordering something with bread, toast, or a bun because they're all made on the premises and are just amazing. The wraps are big, hearty and delicious with fresh, well-seasoned fillings, and the veggie burgers are house-made and very, very good. The coffee is good, the cookies are terrific -- seriously, there are no bad items here. Go and order anything. You'll love it.

Pros: Fantastic baked goods , Great food, Reasonable prices
Cons: Limited seating
ramachandra
ramachandra

Veg comfort food

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2011

Comfort food is the perfect description for the menu of Whole World. You can get things like pizza, sandwiches, and soup. Tons of vegan choices. It was hard to decide what to get, but we chose a pizza that had guacamole and sprouts on top. While delicious in theory, we had to wait a long time and the guacamole quickly turned brown and make the pizza kind of soggy. I would totally give this place another try though. This would be a great place to take non-vegetarian friends and family.

I've been back one time since and got the meatball sub. It came with cheese and sprouts and was absolutely delicious. And only $6. The desserts are yummy and super cheap too, $1-2 each.

Pros: inexpensive
moorevegan
moorevegan

my favorite restaurant in Ohio

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

I've been in love with this place since I moved to Ohio in 2008. I nearly cried when they were closed for about 9 months due to a fire. They are great because they allow me to bring my own vegan cheese for my pizza! They use daiya, I'm not a fan.

Pros: good food, good value, nice location
Cons: small restaurant
briank
briank

Great little place for brunch

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2010

We managed to be driving through Columbus just in time to catch Sunday brunch. My wife had the (vegan) French Toast with fruit, and I got the Big Breakfast - complete with a tofu scramble, toast, faux sausage, and roasted potatoes.

The food was excellent, and served quickly despite how busy the little cafe was. I was intrigued by a couple of the advertised specials on the board, but I can't comment on the regular menu, since we only saw the brunch menu.

We also bought a couple of sweet treats to take with us on the road. Definitely would eat here again.

Pros: Good variety, Vegan baked goods
Cons: Only a few tables

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole World Natural Bakery and Restaurant: