Part of large natural foods supermarket chain. Has fresh fruits and vegetables including organic produce, deli and hot food bars, vitamins, supplements, personal care products, grocery, a wine & tapas bar, fresh baked breads, and more. Open daily. more-less

First Review by groovyvegan
MicheletheTrainer
MicheletheTrainer

The Vegan Section Smells Like Teen Spirit

2 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

The packaged food vegan section of this store, just past the produce section smells like bad fish. I often drive further to another store just to avoid the smell. It's really a tragedy for the high quality vegan snack foods that are stocked around this area. I will not pay the elite price for packaged raw vegan foods that smell like bad fish. I was not always vegetarian and when I was not, I would have never eaten from a fish counter that smelled like that. I don't know of any other Whole Foods that share this issue. I only share this because I think it would matter to HappyCow folks. It matters to me. Hope it helps. The Porter Ranch, Thousand Oaks and Tarzana stores are a higher experience. Cupertino's Whole Foods in northern CA is a really nice store, so improvement is possible!
Updated from previous review on Monday March 31, 2014

Pros: Variety
Cons: Smell
Chia
Chia

Whole Foods

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I've been here several times in the past and what is there to say except that it's very similar to all the other dozens of Whole Foods Markets that I've shopped at. You can expect all the usuals: good food, quality brands, premium prices. The stuff is not cheap, but it's good stuff. Better than the conventional markets anyway.

Pros: has parking
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

nice mid size store

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2011

Since I was in the area, I decided to check out this location. It's a mid size store with easy parking and friendly staff as everyone seemed to smile at me. It has the usual vegan items in stock and the deli area had a separate vegan area where they had salads and other items. I got the garlic rosemary Gardein cutlet and a hazelnut crusted seitan cutlet. Yum! Since it was a Wednesday, their regular salad bar/hot bar area was $5.99/lb, so rather than get salad from the vegan deli area (vegan chicken salad, curry chicken salad, etc), I went for the bar. I got a spectacular jasmine rice and barley salad. Overall, it was a nice experience, but my problem with all Whole Foods is all the meat, dairy and eggs they sell. I dream of a vegan Whole Foods.

Pros: easy parking, vegan deli area, friendly staff
Cons: sells meat, dairy and eggs

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Outstanding Chef in the Meals to Go section

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2010

I was quite surprised at the noticeable differences in the Meals To Go section vs the Whole Foods in Santa Monica/Brentwood. The chef here really knows what she's doing. The plantains were cooked to perfection and the dressing on a yam salad I had was out of this world. Its a typical Whole Foods, easy parking, medium sized, but clearly with talent.

Pros: prepared foods, meals to go chef
dancingvegan
dancingvegan

A Whole Lot 'O Love!!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2009

I go to the Woodland Hills' Whole Food location on a regular basis. Two thumbs WAY UP!! From the security guards that are either out in the parking lot or in the store to the supplement people to the cashiers there is just a whole lot 'o love like i said in my title!

They have tons of vegan options and most of their produce is organic.

The prices might be a bit high, but Whole Foods has their own affordable brand named '365' so check into that!!

Pros: variety of products, helpful staff, organic produce
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Worst service of any Whole Foods I've been to!

2 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2008

When you walk in this Whole Foods, it's full bright colors and fresh produce (some organic), just like any other Whole Foods. Nothing looks amiss.

However, I've been to Whole Foods Markets in at least 5 states (at least 13 stores). This store has the worst service of any Whole Foods I've ever been to (at least . I went to the bakery area to look for a vegan roll. There was a roll there that may have been vegan, and it was the only one without an ingredient label. The nearest employee was talking on the phone on what seemed to be a personal call. I stood there and looked at him, but he ignored me. I asked him if he could please help me, but he continued on with his personal call, ignoring me as if I wasn't there. What a "Team Member." I had to go hunting down another "Team Member" to help me.

Other observations about the store:
* The small roll costs 99 cents.
* The salad bar costs $7.99 a pound for non-organic produce. Not a lot of vegan options there.
* Not a lot of vegan options in their store-made prepared food section either.
* A particular type of supplement proclaimed a "sale" price of $29.99. (The regular price in most stores for this supplement is $26.99.)
* Attached to the shelf, they have $2.00 off coupons for another one of their supplements. These coupons expired 3 months ago.
* On one visit to this store, I bought one of their packaged raw foods dishes that wasn't even near its pull date. I opened it about 10 minutes later and it was rancid.

After my experiences at this Whole Foods, I prefer to shop at Follow Your Heart's natural grocer less than 3 miles away in Canoga Park. The aisles are more crowded, but the service is much better, they're not a chain, and have a decent restaurant.

Pros: The same pros of any other Whole Foods:, Some fresh organic produce, Some vegan options
Cons: TERRIBLE service, High prices, Lack of attention to detail

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole Foods Market: