Part of large natural foods supermarket chain. Stocks are wide range of natural and organic food products. Aug 2013 reported no longer hosting its "wellness club." Open daily. more-less
3495 Brunswick Pike (Rte 1)
Princeton, New Jersey 08540
609-799-2919

First Review by FUZZYGUY828
djspe
djspe

Vegans Rejoice, They Have a Wellness Club - CLOSED

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

After this review was written, the Wellness Club has closed. I will revise when/if the health starts here program gets going. For now, the prepared foods are quite lacking in healthy options and they got rid of many healthy store-made products altogether. :-(

The Whole Foods Market Princeton is the best Whole Foods I've been to outside of their flagship store in Austin, TX. Most people know what WF's is about so I'll focus on what makes this store unique: They have a Wellness Club. The Wellness Club is a plant-based cooking, health and wellness club -- almost like a mini-health club -- that resides in the center of the store. They offer amazing cooking classes that are 100% plant-based or vegan and focus on teaching people how to live and eat healthy whole foods. The foundation of the school stems from the "Health Stars Here" nutritional guidance of Esselstyn (Engine 2), Jeff Novick, Dr. Fuhrman. They teach the tremendous benefits of eating a balanced plent-strong, whole foods diet and cooking delicious food without any added oil or salt.
Additionally, they partner with dozens of local wellness businesses like yoga studios which offer fitness classes in-store. And members of the program get discounts on produce, healthy foods and partner programs.
Most importantly, the Wellness Club is truly a community of compassionate people who support one another on the journey to better health, plant-strong eating and healthy cooking. We are so lucky to have a Wellness Club in Princeton... to my knowledge it's one of the only programs like this in the country.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 24, 2013

Pros: Wellness Club (CLOSED), Still many vegan salad bar options
Cons: Can be expensive but you pay for quality, Store gets busy at peak times, Many of the best healthy foods are gone
  • Vegparty Vegparty

Sorry to see the Wellness Club close. The Health Starts Here program just started up again, will classes in the new Culinary Center.

• djspe djspe

Yes it is very unfortunate they decided to pull the plug. Many of the "Wellness Club" healthy whole food options are gone now too. I hope that they will soon bring back some of the healthy no-oil prepared foods. For weeks they've had very little or none. I was also sad that they stopped making the "Wellness Baguette" which was the only real whole grain sprouted wheat baguette they sold. The yummy store made no-oil hummus, gone. No-oil dressings, gone...I can't figure out what they are doing :-/ It's like they just left us in the dark. I still love the employees at Whole Foods but the store is quickly going downhill. I tend to shop there much less now. I sincerely hope they will bring back a lot more "Health Starts Here" options.

• Vegparty Vegparty

They opened 5 Wellness Clubs around the country. Each closed early in 2013, or late 2012. It was a great idea, just not profitable enough to justify the salaries of the teams or the amount of retail space in a busy store that it occupied. I hope they can bring their HSH program to a level comparable to the Lamar store in Austin. They had amazing food. Good luck in your travels...it is hard to find no oil food.

Vegparty
Vegparty

Mixed Bag

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Great place to shop, especially the produce area, their store brand products, and their frequent sales and promotions. Not always a great place to eat.

kindlizard
kindlizard

A GREAT whole foods

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

This is the best Whole foods I've been to. They do everything well here. They even listened to my complaint about stocking something gross in the otherwise magnificent produce section. The staff is usually very good, just keep an eye on the bagger if you don't do it yourself: I had some knucklehead put 28 oz cans of tomato sauce on top of fresh fragile berries, doh!

This is my favorite WF I have been to, and I have seen quite a few. There are back roads to it, so if you hate Rt 1 like I do, I can give you back road directions. They seem to try to do positive in a culture (central NJ) that strongly resists and almost resents it.

Those who know go here!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 09, 2008

Pros: produce, bakery , deli

FUZZYGUY828
FUZZYGUY828

NOT SO VEGAN

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2010

Whole Foods is a chain so, you get what you pay for.
Unfortunately, I find the knowledge of these people lacking. Most of them are not Vegans or Vegetarians. When asked recently if this product was 'VEGAN', I was told to read the label.
HOW RUDE!
Also, since when is MILK PRODUCTS VEGAN? I guess you have to watch out when you read the label.
The staff here was 'wet behind the ears' and the prices seemed quite expensive.

Pros: Variety, Ease of check out
Cons: Staff not up to par, Expensive
  • kindlizard kindlizard

why did you ask if you already knew? You can't expect any worker to know the vegan-ability of every product they sell, can you, even if they are new? I know you try to hype your friends' place, but be real...

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole Foods Market: