Part of large natural foods supermarket chain. Has fresh fruits and vegetables including organic produce, deli and hot food bars, vitamins, supplements, personal care products, grocery, and much more. Open daily. more-less

First Review by Island Hopper
Bella Bianca
Bella Bianca

Fine for shopping, horrible for meals

1 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Get yourself a can opener, or eat straight from the produce section, and you will be fine. The salad bar isn't bad if you can eat pasta. Avoid the buffet at all costs. When the store was Wild Oats, the hot buffet and the salad bar were pretty good. Since it was taken over by Whole Foods, the ready-made food is pretty bad.

1. Very little buffet food is vegan or vegetarian.
2. The buffet food is salted to the point of being inedible. I've tried the Indian dishes that they sometimes offer and have thrown it out after one bite -- and I *like* salt.
3. The buffet food is often swimming in fat. Make a dent in the mashed potatoes, and it fills up with the fat that weeps out of the potatoes. Take a scoop of the shepherd's pie, and the hole fills with fat.
4. The cashew noodles used to be quite good when the store was Wild Oats -- now that dish has at least twice the fat it used to have.

The store itself is so noisy that if I am on the phone -- if I have a bluetooth in my ear -- I can't hear the person on the other end of the line.

Pros: Fresh produce
Cons: Prices, Buffet, Noise level
KarenGrider
KarenGrider

Whole Foods Additional Store Needed

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

I am new to health foods and usually shop at Kroger. I shop at Whole Foods now and have to drive very far to get there. Memphis needs to have a Whole Foods location out east in Cordova, Germantown, or Collierville!

Pros: Excellent Selection, Friendly Staff, Vegan Selections
Cons: Location is inconvenient
Lindsey
Lindsey

One Place in Memphis Where Vegans Can Be Happy

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2009

It is true that not much on the buffet is marked as vegan, but they do list ingredients for nearly every dish, so you can determine if it is vegan or not. I've rarely found non-vegetarian dishes on one side of the bar. The quality and types of food vary from day to day at this location. Sometimes they have up to six vegan mock meat and/or tofu dishes on the hot bar at one time. There are many vegetables dishes suited for vegans as well. Sometimes the soups are vegan. It just all depends on the day you are there, but there is always SOMETHING. They have a great salad bar too, and oftentimes there is vegan chocolate mousse available (and it is marked vegan). There are also 4-6 types of vegan cookies and 2-3 types of vegan muffins (always marked vegan) in the self-serve bakery case. The deli ALSO has some AMAZING vegan options like mock chicken salad made with Gardein, vegan crab cakes (marked vegan), cashew noodle salad, and many other things. They have also begun carrying an excellent raw vegan product line made locally in Tennessee. You can find it across from the deli and sometimes certain products in the deli case. Finally, there's always vegan sushi available (not a lot of it but I've always seen at least one pack of it) All that aside, even if it's a bad day at the hot bar, there are plenty of vegan items in the grocery section of the store. Check out the freezer and refrigerated sections if you want something convenient to take with you. Tons of vegan dessert products are available too - including raw vegan and coconut milk ice cream! I feel like I could list so much more stuff available here. This place has made my and my husband's lives so easy as vegans in a city where there are very few of us.
I recently went to a bigger Whole Foods in a Chicago suburb, and they weren't nearly as good for vegans as this location is. They didn't even sell nutritional yeast in their large bulk bins!
The people who work here are always friendly too. Sometimes the deli people aren't in that great of a mood, but the cashiers are really great. I've rarely ever had to wait longer than a couple minutes in line too, and I go here several times a week.

Pros: great, filling food, huge selection, very quick
Cons: everything should be marked vegan, dumpsters out back smell terrible!, store could be bigger

Island Hopper
Island Hopper

The Truth

2 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

I recently spent a week in Memphis on business. Coming from California I knew finding vegan food would be problematic. Near the end of my trip I found this Whole Foods and I thought GREAT! now I can get some vegan food without concern about prep. I have been in many Whole Foods stores and they have all been good about marking food as Vegan when it is and having lots of options. However that is not the case here as I didn't see the word Vegan on anything in any display case or on any buffet item. On the buffet they had 2 tofu based dishes. One was the typical asian tofu dish I have found at all stores. The other was fried tofu. It was battered and fried! It sat next to a few non-meat fried chicken entrees. Somehow they've managed to make a "health" food store unhealthy. Anyway, I didn't starve but I sure felt like Vegan was a dirty word and didn't find the food to be particularly healty.

Pros: Some veg options
Cons: Fried, Fried, Very limited

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole Foods Market: