Part of large natural foods supermarket chain. Offers deli foods, vitamins and supplements, natural care products, fresh produce including organic, foods, grocery, and more. more-less

First Review by YigalWeinstein
ChrisCollette
ChrisCollette

Good Vegan Deli Selection and Nice Salad Bar

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

My husband and I popped in here to get some vegan prepared food so we could have a picnic at Seal Beach. There was not a plethora of options, I'll concede, however, we had some roasted rosemary gardein chikun patties, corn and herb salad and some sesame tofu. We were able to sample them all before we purchased them, and the salad bar had some amazing organic offerings. We also hit the produce section and scored some organic nectarines, watermelon, and cherries and the quality was off the chart. Not cheap, but convenient and good food. We'll be going back on our next trip to the beach. Also, on Sunday's in the summer - there is a fabulous Farmer's Market directly across the street with many organic vendors. Needless to say, our picnic was awesome.

Pros: Vegan deli items, Great organic salad bar, Great organic produce section
Cons: Pricy
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

Cozy beachside Whole Foods

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

This isn't the biggest location of the chain, but it does its job. Located in a shopping plaza, the area gets a little cramped but I've only had positive experiences here. I drop in fairly often if I just want a Whole Foods fix or if there is something specific I want to pick up. The staff are friendly, and even though most HappyCow readers don't need to know this, they often grill outside and say hello to folks passing by. There is also a small seating area outside, and they've had little contests for shoppers (like a veggie quiz woot! got myself a nice basket of earth friendly goodies), so it seems to try to fit into the community, which I appreciate.
The vegan selection has grown, in my op. There's at least a section of the prepared foods that has both vegetarian and vegan options, and they're always willing to let you sample - and in fact I just had a "roast" that I got there for dinner :) There is vegan pizza, although not as readily available as larger places.
This location is cozier and not as awe-inspiring as some of its huge counterparts, but it's still a Whole Foods, so anything vegan or specialty that you're looking for will be there.

Pros: vegan needs all in one place, location, friendly community atmosphere
Cons: busy parking lot, small-ish
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Normal Whole Foods

3 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2011

I don't agree with the reviews below. We were helped by the ample staff to find items in the unfamiliar store. The only negative about the store is that its hard to find and I walked into a Pet Smart not noticing it wasn't the Whole Foods, lol. Next door down! Its an average sized Whole Foods, with a decent hot bar, salad bar.

rebeccaj
rebeccaj

disappointing

2 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

When traveling, it's nice to find a Whole Foods for some comforting vegan food. But this place is the worst Whole Foods I've been to, yet. Their selection of vegan items is relatively small.

I guess I'm spoiled by the Whole Foods' in the Bay Area, which all seem to have vegan doughnuts and lots of choices in the deli department. Not this place; they have a few things, but not a lot to delight.

Pros: better than Safeway
Cons: small vegan selection
YigalWeinstein
YigalWeinstein

wanting in a few places

2 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2008

As a vegan this place wasn't my home.

Now don't get me wrong a few years ago when Wild Oats stood in the place Whole Foods M. does now I had a similar assesment of this establishment. The fact is that many of the workers no nothing about what is sold in these places. Now I'm not pretentious enough to assume I am the fountain of knowledge when it comes to foods, but I know a few things, and so when the staff no virtually nothing it's unpleasant. Unlike Wild Oats they exchanged organic peanuts in the manual self grinder to non-organic - that made me sick, although all I can do is laugh about it.

However the knowledge of the staff pales in comparison to the lack of certain offerings. I want my organic produce, this is not always available there. I also would very much appreciate a nice vegan meal, but they cator to the "happy meat" crowd. So all I can say is thank you farmers markets and I am blessed with an ability to cook. If not for these two facts I would be in a rather unpleasant mood.

Pros: some organic stuff, some vegan deli options, some vegan stuff
Cons: $$$$$, meat centered market place, less and less organic, not enough local

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole Foods Market: