Part of large natural foods supermarket chain. Has fresh fruits and vegetables including organic produce, deli, vitamins, supplements, personal care products, grocery, and more. more-less

First Review by SynthVegan
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Terribly Disappointing Whole Foods

1 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2011

Worst. Whole. Foods. Ever. I am a huge fan of Whole Foods stores, so this is saying a lot. This location has the worst selection of vegan options I've seen at a WF's. Those that exist are tucked away into remote corners of the store.

To be specific, I had to circle the store twice to even find the vegan section (vegan cheese, tofu, soy sausage, seitan, etc). It is buried back in a corner of the store that you'd never normally go to with the signage hardly visible. Meanwhile, the meat department is huge and can't be missed. The salad bar -- you'd think a vegan would do ok there, right? Even the tofu on the salad bar is made with dairy. Other than actual salad items like plain greens and raw vegetables, the only vegan item they had was a polenta lasagna (at least that was 5 stars good!).

I went to get a slice of vegan pizza at the pizza station which is a stalwart of every Whole Foods store I've been in. No vegan pizza! I'm sure I could have asked the guy to make me one, but I shouldn't have to....this is Whole Foods.

Technically, they carry Upton's Naturals and Soul Veg items. The Upton's items they had were close to expiration and they had *one* Soul Veg item on the shelf. This is the first time I've shopped at this location so it's possible I hit them on a bad day. I really hope that's the case but in any event, I won't be back.

Adding insult to injury, at check out I couldn't find a Veg News magazine. That should be front and center.

If all Whole Foods were like this one, I would not shop at Whole Foods. There's a better selection of vegan options that are more respectfully laid out at the little grocery store in my small town in Indiana.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Whole Foods

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

I was in a rush to get back to the city from the northern suburbs so that I could get to WFM before they closed (at 10PM) - on my way there I saw this one right off of I-94, convenient! I admit, I wasn't expecting much from this area, but I was pleasantly surprised with this location and the cute little neighborhood. They carry your typical vegan items, and I also noticed that they have bigger containers of certain items (e.g. salad dressings, vegenase, etc.), perhaps it's because there's more shelf space at this location. Overall, great neighborhood, great selection, nice employees. The only downside is the dark creepy parking lot, they should definitely invest in better lighting for the safety of shoppers.

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole Foods Market: