Whole Earth Vegetarian

Peranakan-Thai vegetarian restaurant operating since 2003. Features an extensive menu, with no MSG. Ice cream is made with dairy; no soy or vegan ones. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Peranakan, Thai, Chinese, Asian, Take-out, Delivery, Catering

First Review by chanmeng

Not actually completely vegan

3 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2013

I think it is very important to note that this restaurant is NOT completely vegan.

There is ice cream on the menu and this is dairy ice cream, not soy or any type of vegan ice cream.

There is also some confusion about the meaning of 'vegan.' When we asked one of the staff what was vegan she said: "Everything is vegan except for milk." At least she was able to let us know about this and alert us that the ice cream was dairy.

There may be other non-vegan items, but we only stopped here briefly for drinks and dessert. I can't give an informed rating for this reason.

Pros: Attentive staff, Close to train station
Cons: Unclear about what is vegan

Highest Standards Of Vegetarian Cuisine

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

Don't expect the usual vegetarian type of dishes. This is truly something which will surprise. Depth of tastes, Rich flavours, Quality of Ingredients at a brilliant location. Will be good to have more of such places in other cities to benefit more people.

Pros: great tastes, friendly staff, variety
Cons: simple decor

Did not know what vegan means

2 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

was there a few days before. the stuff did not know, what vegan mean. i have to describe it and then i taked a easy meni, where i can be sure, that it was vegan. the food is nice, but location is very expensive

the location is not pure vegan! im not sure, but i think it is not even pure vegetarian

Pros: nice food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: expensive, not vegan and did not know what vegan is

dun like the staff there

2 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2011

I reach there 5.45pm. they are not open yet. I seen one staff cleaning the glass panel so i ask are you all open? He reply soon. I seen 3 staff standing inside doing nothing. and the door still close. I leave whole earth after 5min for waiting outside without any staff entertain me.

Cons: late opening, irresponsible staff

Good food but too expensive

3 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

I went to The Whole Eart a few times because it is conveniently located near Thiong Baru MRT station. The food is reasonably but there are better options in Singapore. It is overpiced. Also I find the noise level too high becasue there is no decoration at all to absorb the noise. It feels a little like being in a empty factory warehouse.

Cons: too noisy, too expensive

2010 Chinese New Year (CNY) Set Menu @ Whole Earth

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2010

Happen to get to know about CNY Set Menu at Whole Earth. There are about 5 CNY sets but we tried the 6-course CNY Set Menu - Joy Set @ S$188+ (LNY Special Menu) on 6 Feb 2010. Taking advantage of the early bird discount, we got a discount of 10% plus a complimentary dinning voucher.

Prosperity Abalone Fruit Enzyme YuSheng
This is well presented and looks so much better than the photo we got. Those few pea shoots on YuSheng look like fallen leaves lying on the ground, so natural and beautiful. There were many ingredients in this Yusheng, but I have no idea what there were and only know it tasted good. I guess the rest of us just find this dish delicious and really have no idea that it was healthier (using Fruit Enzyme) than the normal Yusheng which used plum sauce and oil.

Doubleboilded Golden Pumpkin Sharksfin Soup
LOVE it. It was real delicious, special, rich and my son kept asking for more. There were many different ingredients, yet balanced well and harmonize with the rest of the ingredients. Using pumpkin puree in the broth, make it looked like a pot of gold.

Nyonya Homemade Tofu Fish with Thai Dill Leaves
Appetizing and delectable! Something new to me - Thai Dill Leaves, still wondering what is that herb. The sauce of this dish came with the right thickness, sweet, sourly with bit spiciness. It was very appetizing and paired well with the Tofu Fish and steamed rice.

Monkeyhead Mushroom served on Asparagus
As usual, Monkeyhead Mushroom is our favourite. This dish was rather exceptional as it used Angelica Root which is full of goodness and yet not overpowering. Nicely presented. Asparagus is never my favourite but this dish was well done. The baby asparagus was fresh and not over cooked and soaking up the favour from the sauce nicely. Therefore, we could finish something which wasn't our favourite veggie.

Thai Vermicelli Tang Hoon
I like bean vermicelli (Tang Hoon) but not this combination. So, we requested the waitress to help us packed it as takeaway. Maybe, they should allow choices on noodle or vermicelli.

Homemade Lemongrass Jelly with Longan
For dessert, wobbly jelly full of lemongrass flavour was been served. Sweet (it tastes like there was honey) and refreshing!

Thai Battered Oyster Mushroom @ S$15
This dish was not in the CNY set menu. Whole Earth whips up this di

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy Cuisine, Friendly Staff
Guest
Guest

Where yummy food & great service meets

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

Yesterday my friends & I went to Whole Earth for lunch. It was my third time there and I just keep on coming back for their yummy & uber deliciously tasty sweet & sour delight. It has this sweet-tangy taste and soft meaty bite that I almost forgot it's vegetarian. Even though I'm a meat-eater, I just looove the food that they serve. Kudos to the chefs! :) The olive rice, too is very delicious. My friends ordered their assam pedas and sambal kangkong which they also found to be soooo yummy. It makes me go hungry now as I am writing this... All the staff too are pleasant and attentive, keep it up guys! Definitely i'll come back there soon with more friends! :)

Pros: delicious & healthy food, attentive staff, not oily

The Whole Earth

2 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2009

The bottom line is that the food is decent, but nothing spectacular. You can get the same thing elsewhere for much cheaper as this is insanely over-priced for what you actually receive. They also inexplicably charge you for the little snacks you receive prior to the meal. This seems incredibly cheap and underhanded, since one would logically expect this to be complimentary. The atmosphere also leaves a lot to be desired, and it reminds me of eating in a vacant warehouse. The service is quite poor too, and if you're not a 'local' they treat you like you don't matter and they don't care to hide this either.

Pros: decent food, ok location
Cons: really expensive, rude service, surprises on the bill

You wont believe it's vegetarian. Truly the Best!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

tasty, fresh, not oily and superb flavours! Location could be better but the trip is worth it! All my friends and family are impressed and they are not vegetarians. Price is reasonable considering the quality. So for all vegetarians and non-vegetarians, this is IT! MUST GO!

Pros: excellent food, fresh food, good value

Food So-so but price very expensive

3 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2009

Went there yesterday, not sure if they got change management, seems like more foreigners working there. Service is so-so, Food is also So-so, but price is very expensive!!

Pros: Good atmosphere
Cons: Very noisy, Very Expensive

As advertised - delicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

We visited Whole Earth yesterday, and I an still fantasizing about the meal. Let's get the (sligit) negative out of the way first. This is an expensive meal for Singapore, though hardly costly by U.S. or European standards. Our meal for two (including a voucher - see below) came to $80. Considering we could easily eat a very good meal in most of Singapore for $20-30, it's undoubtedly pricey.
And worth every penny. The food at Whole Earth was really special, and the service excellent. But let's talk first about the food! We ordered four dishes. One was off the charts amazing, two were great and one was above-average, dragged down only by the comparative excellence of the others, and we barely got into some of the amazingly varied menu items. Everything is very fresh, beautifully prepared and FULL of flavour. The Sweet and Sour Delight was the BEST mock meat dish I have ever tasted - and I've eaten at over 40 of these types of restaurants at least. We also enjoyed the Asparagus with Eel Mushrooms, and the Monkeyhead Mushroom Satay. Fresh coconut milk washed everything down beautifully. You can make your meal a bit cheaper by visiting the Whole Earth web site and downloading one of their vouchers. They don't seem to have any expiry date. Do yourself a favour and visit this place!

Pros: Amazing food, great staff, reasonable portions
Cons: expensive!

magic

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2008

Great food!!!!
As you come off the busy Geylang road, you enter Whole Earth, the complete opposite to the busy life outside.
Compared to the other veggie places in theis area, you have nice decor and a great atmosphere. Good variety of dishes, with many recommendations. Dishes cost from gbp5/usd10, and good selection of tea/fruit juices.
A must!!!

Pros: good food, nice staff

Best Vegeterian Food..

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2008

Whole earth serves the fresh and organic food.. Homemade tofu which is soft and smooth that melts in ur mouth (cold tofu and oat cereal tofu are the best).. deep fried mushroom taste fresh coz it's fried in a fresh new oil each time when they serve the dish.Love their soup, Olive fried rice, satay, sweet and sour "pork", Ah siam "fish" and etc... its a die die MUST MUST TRY! Best ever...

Superb Restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2008

The Whole Earth totally changed my perception of vegetarian food. Before, vegetarian food to me is mainly oily gluten mock food that tastes the same and have a rubbery texture.

The dishes at The Whole Earth are simply superb! The olive rice is the best I've ever eaten. The oatmeal tofu is done perfectly - crispy on the outside and yet soft inside. A surprisingly nice dish is the interesting combination of monkeyhead mushroom with aloe vera.

They've managed to bring out the natural goodness and taste of the fresh ingredients. And the best part of all, they did it without any added MSG! Brilliant! A definite must place to have a healthy wholesome meal !!

With food tasting so good, I do not mind being a vegetarian!

Pros: Natural Goodness, Yummy Food

Excellent food, nice venue.

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

I found The Whole Earth to be a a bit nicer than most of the Chinese Vegetarian eateries in Singapore. The venue is pleasant and modern if not special and the menu is more varied than other places. They specialize in Peranakan dishes as well as several Thai options. We had the Nonya curry, pretty good, pretty hot, the pad thai, simple but nice, the sambal brinjal (eggplant), very good, beatiful flavour and texture and the yam paste dessert which was lovely and very creamy. We also had the crispy fish/seaweed which is provided at the start of the meal- very interesting and unusual taste.

Prices are slightly higher than average but the quality of food justified it. We paid $48 for 3 dishes, 1 dessert and 2 drinks. I will definitely come here again.

Pros: Variety, Modern, Very tasty
Cons: Not most convenient location.

They've matured

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2006

Tried it a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking that it was no big deal. Went back recently again, and liked mostly what we had. They have a good selection on their menu, and we ordered mostly peranakan -- this is probably the only restaurant in Singapore serving vegetarian pernakan food, and they're good. The only dish I didn't enjoy was their curry lamb (?)... maybe because we ordered too much.

Pros: Peranakan options!, Wide variety., Tasty food
Cons: Parking hard to find, Stroller unfriendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Whole Earth Vegetarian: