CLOSED: Whole Earth Bakery...

Vegan baked goods and vegetarian kitchen. Offers a small food menu which includes vegan cheese pizza and lasagna. Has a couple tables for seating. DEC 29, 2012 WAS THE LAST DAY. NOW SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Bakery, American, Take-out

First Review by will-travel-for-food
elles_belles
elles_belles

Go to baby cakes instead

2 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

I had a slice of cheesecake that literally tasted like a slab of tofu that was briefly soaked in soymilk then topped with a spread of pureed fruit. I also tried an overly sweet brownie and something else that wasn't memorable. I think Baby Cakes is far better at creating delicious and healthy baked goods. I can't speak for their non-desert foods though.

If this place is your thing, I don't get it but power to you. I would recommend against bringing omnivore friends here. They will politely smile and then talk about how nasty it was behind your back.

heyheyrenee
heyheyrenee

Not impressed

2 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2011

I had the chocolate chip chewy bar and was not impressed. Perhaps I pciked the wrong item but I've had way better vegan goodies at Baby Cakes. Prices were high, service left little impression. I would not return.

Cons: expensive
bill
bill

Perhaps this was just a bad day

2 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

The service left very, very much to be desired. The food was not fresh. We were not told in advance of ordering muffins that they were raw.

Fallopia Tuba
Fallopia Tuba

Love, love, love this place

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2009

The Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen is a cornerstone of the neighborhood; I've been going there at least ten years--before I was vegan--and this bakery has definitely been instrumental in my decision to go vegan. A few years ago, the owner of the Italian restaurant next door to them was actively trying to get them out, and the level of community support was phenomenal; there was even a rally led by Reverend Billy!

They recently renovated, and the renovation took three months; everyone was on pins and needles waiting for them to reopen. This is a very popular neighborhood place, and in the evenings there's often quite a line.

Favorites include the cheesecakes--including chocolate, chocolate-peanut butter, and lemon-blueberry--and the pumpkin pie is better than any you'll ever have. (Their fudgy brownies are particularly good, too.) Most of their baked goods are sugar-free, and some are wheat-free. They also have daily soups and sandwiches, and a juice bar. There's even a Facebook group devoted to this bakery!

Pros: newly renovated, healthy, sugar-free
philjdomm
philjdomm

best fast food but slow warming?

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2008

all food prepared, chilled, and to eat it hot, gotta warm up in old fashion gigantic oven....great but if in a hurry, pick food that you can eat raw or chilled.
small joint. too little seating and too small to eat in.
take your food outside and enjoy the east village!
awesome owner and very hospitable.

cookiem
cookiem

yummy!

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2007

Although I'm not out in this part too often, when I do get over there, I'm always delighted at the "fast food" options they have. It's not fast food in the traditional sense except that you can get it quickly, to go! All of the savory foods are so tasty, and healthy, lots of organic, and even some wheat free! The turnovers are huge, so the price is worth it! Everything looked so good, it was hard to choose! Definitely purchase one or two items for later, you won't regret it! As for the sweets, since I love sinfully delicious desserts, I could tell these were on the healthy side. Not bad, but, perceptibly healthier! Still good, and I love what this place stands for and represents in their food! Stop in!

Pros: turnovers, fast food, organic
Cons: small space, healthy desserts
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Fantastic little gem

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2007

There are so many delivious vegan/raw foods and pastries here! I wish I could try them all. The prices are a bit steep, but you can tell that everything sold at Whole Earth is prepared with love. This place has been around for a long time, and they are currently facing possible eviction. Too bad. If you stop in to try a savory baked good or a delicious soup, be sure to sign the petition to save Whole Earth from eviction. It seemed like there were a lot of happy "regulars" when we went in, and the owner was very friendly to us. Recommended!

Pros: TONS of vegan baked goods, TONS of raw snacks, TONS of vegan food

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen: