White Oak II

Aug 2013 reported open again. Vegetarian shop sharing 1/2 of the space with a non-veg meat shop. There is no sign on the door and is not easily visible from street so look for it. Sells many vegan food products, including frozen mock meats and dumplings. All the products that are made by the owners are vegan, but imported items might not be. Moved from 3rd Ave SE, this location is not easily visible from street so look for it. more-less

First Review by dkingdesigndotcom
23skidoo
23skidoo

Tasty.

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

With a few Vietnamese-style dishes, White Oak II is a nice alternative to the mostly-Chinese offerings of Veggie House and Buddha's. The salad rolls (fresh spring rolls with "shrimp") are fantastic. I like the rice noodle dishes as well, and their fried rice has a great Wok Hay.
The restaurant is cozy, but the location in a mall near a grocer, butcher and vietnamese beef restaurant is not great.

Pros: Great fake meat and seafood, great fried dishes with good Wok Hay
Cons: Too close to smelly butcher, Some dishes are bland
Mighty Vegan
Mighty Vegan

This little place is a gem!

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2009

Thank you Happy Cow for helping us find this place! Tucked in the back of an indoor mall in Chinatown there was like a zero percent chance of finding this place on our own.
The family that ran White Oak was so warm and hospitable. The food was cheap and good. I wish I could recount to you what I ordered but I simply don't remember the names of the dishes. The menu was extensive. We got 2 noodle dishes. My wife and I found the food bursting with flavor, really unique tasting. Both the restaurant owner and a couple sitting next to us recommended the braised ribs, but that's not what we ordered so I can't comment on them.
I was just visiting but if ever back in Calgary this will be my first stop.

Pros: Good food, Cheap food, Friendly Service
Cons: Not much ambiance
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Wonderful little place!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

I absolutely love this place. The owners are so amazingly kind and friendly. The food is great, so so so cheap, and lots of neat vietnamese dishes.

It is off to the side at the back of this odd mall in chinatown but it is definitely worth checking out. IMO, the best veggie place in Calgary.

When I am in town, I go like everyday, seriously, it is wonderful. My sister thinks the curry soup is the best soup in the whole world (she's not vegetarian) and the salad rolls are divine.

Four can dine for $20.

They close at 7pm or 8pm on most days I think so call and make sure they will be open if you are going for supper after 6.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Friendly
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi cookiemonster, thanks for the great review. It is definitely rare these days to find a place where 4 people can eat for $20!

gshresth
gshresth

great food!

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

We have had dinner here many times and it is always great! I would highly reccommend this restaurant to anyone.

Pros: Cheap, fast service, great food
marlasinger
marlasinger

legendary

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

Hidden in the alcove of a mall where merchants sell fish from boxes, White Oak II feels like a covert operation in vegetarianism. I've been over a dozen times, and am always pleased with what I order. The best yet is the "Salt and Pepper Ribs". The owner/chef/server has obviously trained in the psychic arts as he'll run over precisely at the moment that thirst hits with a glass of cool water in a mcdonalds cup. He has also been seen pointing fans at customers when he becomes attuned to the fact that they are slightly warm. Most delighted am I, and my standards for good service have raised exponentially. This is and will continue to be one of my favorite veg restaurants in Calgary. Don't be frightened by the atmosphere of the mall (I know you vegetarians are a tough crowd) and let yourself fall in to the discovery of a world where meat grows on trees.

Pros: excellent service, delightful food, worth the pennies
Cons: poor atmosphere, open odd hours

elizabeth777
elizabeth777

Yum!

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2008

White Oak II has a varied menu with tons of choices to suit every vegan or vegetarian. There is both a Chinese as well as a Vietnamese menu. The dumplings, salad rolls, and wonton soup are absolutely delicious. The prices are low enough that you can order quite a few dishes to sample and still take some home.

Best food, best staff, best service!

Pros: Delicious, Affordable, Lots of variety
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

*A Must Visit* TRULY AFFORDABLE!!!*BIG PORTIONS!*

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2007

*A Must Visit* Yummy fried rice choices, yummy pan-fried dumplings (young bamboo, corn, carrot, and other yummy stuff inside).

VERY CHEAP! 15 CAN (all in all, for the 2 of us and we still ask for a clear plastic bag to take out some left-overs!) They have free styrofoams as well, but we do not use styrofoams.

Pros: Yummy Foods, Unbeatable Pricings, Big Portions

Dear Owner and Manager of White Oak II: