White Lotus Vegetarian...

Melbourne vegan restaurant serving Chinese food. Menu includes an extensive selection of mockmeat dishes. No onion, garlic, shallots, leeks, or chives used. Confirmed open Nov. 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Buddhist, Chinese

First Review by ampallang
aimmee
aimmee

Wonderful vegan food

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I was surprised to find some of the reviews on this site that claim the food was bland! My partner and myself really enjoyed the food. I had a spicy tofu dish (tofu cooked to perfection) and my partner had a chicken and tofu broth. Both meals very tasty. Be sure to bring cash because there is no ATM service. Service was quick and friendly. Next time I visit Melbourne I will definitely visit White Lotus again.

ulysses_studio
ulysses_studio

ok for inner city feed

3 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

It has been awhile since i have eaten here but i found it a bit bland. Their chicken fingers were bubble and squeak and not mock chicken as i expected and there isn't very much room to sit. when i went there it was cash only. BUT it is all veg and i like supporting all the shops with the right ethos. It is megga close to the Vic Markets and a great place to visit if your checking out the markets.

Pros: veggo!
Cons: not good opening hours, small venue
Aloo
Aloo

When you are looking for a "meat" fix.

3 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2010

This place has been around forever! The food is consistent & OK, I agree with the other reviewers in that it is a little bland. The staff are really friendly. It is a small space with white paper tablecloths. The mixed entree is a favorite, however it is all deep fried. I suggest ordering one of the spicier dishes, as they are nicer. Good prices too.

Pros: Friendly staff, consistent, huge selection of mock meat dishes
Cons: some dishes are bland

KingKong
KingKong

This is a Melbourne institution

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

I've being here before. It's not far from the Vic market and a vegetarian supermarket near by. Food is nice and prices reasonable.

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Only open Thurs-Sat now

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2009

While on vacation in Nov 2009, we went to White Lotus on a Wednesday to find a note that said they are only open 3 days a week (Thurs-Sat) starting Nov 12th. We decided to come back on Saturday, our last night there. A lot of the tables were reserved, but we showed up early enough to get a table. We ordered the fried wontons, ma po tofu, sweet & sour taro cutlets and the white lotus special. The service seemed a bit on the slow side compared to other Chinese restaurants I've been to. The food was good, but nothing amazing. I think we miss the garlic and onion! Dirk did like the white lotus dish that had mushrooms, tofu, lotus root and other veggies. It was convenient to our hotel, but I don't think I'd go out of my way though.

Pros: good variety of types of dishes, white lotus special
Cons: a little bland, open only 3 nights a week
Lea
Lea

somewhat disappointing, but would try again

3 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2008

We were disappointed by this one, but maybe we ordered the wrong things. Too oily and a bit bland. But based on others' reviews below, I might try it again. The staff were certainly trying hard and very friendly.

Pros: A sincere effort
Cons: Food a bit average
lasm
lasm

Queen Victoria Market

3 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2007

Located at the opposite corner to Queen victoria Market, this restaurant offer traditional chinese style cooking.. Serving time can be long, so be prepared for an unhurried meal.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Disappointing

2 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2007

Having read the other reviews, I was really excited for White Lotus. Maybe we just ordered poorly, but our dishes were very uninspiring. Bland, with little in the way of flavour or excitement. The service was also appalling. Again, possibly just a bad night, but our dishes were served 25 minutes apart, and the whole meal took over 90 minutes to be served. They were busy, but not that busy...

ampallang
ampallang

comfort food

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2007

All food is vegan, great selection. Soups are great and tasty. Large variety of mock meat dishes. Lack of vegies... but this is some great food aslong as it's not all the time. Great people who run the resturant and next door there son does traditional chinese medicine. I go there quite often :)

Pros: lovely food, vegan desert, good value
Cons: slightly expensive, unhealthy food

Dear Owner and Manager of White Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant: