Wheatfields Bakery and Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. This brick-oven bakery and cafe uses mostly local ingredients and almost all are made in-house. They also have a full espresso bar menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, International, Take-out, Non-veg
904 Vermont St (W 9th St)
Lawrence, Kansas 66044
785-841-5553

Open Mon-Fri 6:30am-8pm, Sat 6:30am-6:30pm, Sun 7:30am-4pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by razzadig
razzadig
razzadig

Highlight of my Lawrence Trip

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

This is a vegetarian-friendly cafe and bakery in the lively Lawrence area next to Kansas University. Don't be fooled by the stair/doors shown in the front picture; that's the end of the building. There are two doors facing the other street that are the real entrance. This is a cafe--not a restaurant--order at the counter and eat there or to go. The food was excellent, but as it was 90 degrees out, didn't try the coffee.

The staff was friendly/efficient, it was pretty busy on the weekend when I was there. The entree took longer than I expected, but I spent that time looking over the desserts/breads.

There are separate counters for the bakery which had a diverse selection of homemade breads like Raisin Pecan and decadent desserts like the marvelous Opera Cake. You can buy selections or the whole loaf/cake. There were vegan cookies, too.

The menu is online and is kept up to date. No straight vegan dishes--you'd have to request the cheese left off. I've had the Yamwich, which I like to get since I can't get anything like it other places. The opera cake was so good, I had to force myself to slow down when eating it. It has coffee layers like tiramisu but I didn't taste them. The flavor came together perfectly.

If you live in the area, you've probably been here. Otherwise, it's worth it for a day trip along with shopping and taking the nearby river walk.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Bakery
Cons: Crowded, limited straight vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Wheatfields Bakery and Cafe: