CLOSED: What Crepe?

Serves meat, veg options available. Crepe cafe that accommodates vegan requests. Has another location in Birmingham. JAN 2014 THIS LOCATION SHUT. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by animallawgal
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Definitely Vegan-Friendly

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2011

The front page of their website promises "For the vegan from the sweet to the savory and even down to the ice cream we will use 100% dairy free products and create a vegan masterpiece crepe just for you." I was already sold.

They have a ton of suggested crepes or you can build-your-own from a list of ingredients. I went the make-your-own route with seared tofu, avocado, tomato and spinach with the truffle zip sauce. It was 5 Cows.

I love the small dining space inside. Though it's intimate, the tables are situated just right so you're not hearing every word of conversation from the table next to you. Our service was amazing. I can't wait to come back.

Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

VEGAN CREPES!

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

Really good vegan crepes are available at What Crepe. I got one with exotic mushrooms and asparagus, and it was fantastic. The sauce they served on the side was really good... kinda had a truffle oil flavor to it. Also, they serve beer- which is nice. The staff was very friendly as well.

Pros: GREAT , VEGAN, CREPES
Cons: Not all vegan/vegetarian...., sorta limited options.
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Best vegan crepes that I've ever had

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2010

What Crepe? Vegan crepes!?!?

My last meal in Detroit was from What Crepe and I was highly impressed. I ordered a vegan crepe with tofu, vegetables, and a jalapeno sauce - OUT OF THIS WORLD. Don't waste your time reading my review, get your butt over there and try them for yourself. 5 Cows

animallawgal
animallawgal

Wow, what a surprise!

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

This is strictly a crepe restaurant, just a warning for those who may be expecting a variety of french cuisine. The building is super small, with the servers' station right in the middle, in a narrow hallway, so navigating the inside is a little rough. There is outdoor seating along Washington, however.
There are many vegan options here! You choose from the vegetarian or vegan crepe batter and choose your own fillings.
I was going to be a hard sell on this place, because I do make awesome vegan crepes at home, but the vegan crepes here are fantastic! I was definitely impressed. The menu is seasonal, so the veggies and fruits being offered change. The sauces you can choose from include truffle oil, and I don't think you can go wrong with that. If you choose tofu for a filling, it is diced and comes in just the right portion (definitely not skimpy.) I don't think you can go wrong with any of the savory crepes. I was a little disappointed with the sweet crepes, though. The "vegan chocolate sauce" appeared to be cold chocolate syrup, straight out of a bottle. The crushed berries were not crushed, rather a handful of fresh berries. I would consider getting a sweet crepe again with ice cream filling, and a fruit sauce, but I'm not sure if I feel the price for one is justified. The savory crepe prices are appropriate, though, and a better value than the crepes Inn Season serves for brunch.
If you are really hungry, you may need to plan on ordering two crepes. One is fine for lunch or a small-ish dinner. The menu becomes confusing when you look at something other than build-your-own crepes. For example, a house crepe that is labeled "vegan option" contains chicken ... perhaps they are substituting tofu for chicken if you request the vegan option? So, don't accidently order something less obviously non-vegan, such as a dessert crepe labeled "vegan option," without telling your server you actually need it prepared vegan!
The waitstaff were very nice, but I could tell they weren't making any money due to slow business. Hopefully this place makes it, and it will be interesting to see what happens to their menu in the winter when they don't have the fresh fruits and veggies available right now.
Back to the "build-your-own" crepes ... for flavor, you have to rely on the sauce(s) you pick. What I found a little strange: they don't offer any herbs or seasonings (other than sauces) to add to your crepes & the otherwise nice atmosphere is hurt by serving soda in a can.

Pros: great for dates, most crepes $6-$8, very fresh (summer) ingredients
Cons: limited seating

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: What Crepe?: