West Town Bakery and Diner

Serves meat, veg options available. Diner and bakery features a glass-walled kitchen where you could watch the kitchen bake. Has street-side cake building station. Diner is open til 4pm, bakery later. On the menu is a vegan sandwich, vegan pancakes and waffles, granola; also could modify a few of the vegetarian items to vegan. Prior to Aug 2012 operated as Bleeding Heart Bakery and Cafe. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Bakery, Non-veg
1916 W Chicago Ave (N Damen Ave)
Chicago, Illinois 60622
773-904-1414

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by SynthVegan
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Cake balls and wedding cake!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I had the great pleasure and honor to attend a vegan wedding catered by Bleeding Heart Bakery. As a healthy vegan I NEVER eat this kind of food, but for a wedding or special occasion I live for a splurge like this and I partook. When you don't eat high fat, high sugar stuff like this for years at a time when you do you want it to be the BEST. If you are going to have to run a marathon to get something out of your body it better be worth it and my lord Bleeding Heart is worth it! My heart probably did some bleeding as I played a few hours of basketball and sat in the sauna to sweat out the cake balls and walked 10 miles the next day, but I'd do it all over again for the deliciousness! The cake balls were three flavors, sprinkles, chocolate and a nut rolled one and the wedding cake was insane with a marshmellow iceing ontop of another icing with peanut butter filling and so much going on I think my head exploded! It doesn't get any better, it really doesn't!

Cons: high fat!
veganmiss
veganmiss

Punk Rock Brunch

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2012

For brunch, I had the farmers skillet and my friend had the housemade vegan biscuits and gravy. We split an order of roasted potatoes too. The farmers skillet had mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, carrots, and twice-baked tofu, all topped with wild mushroom gravy (which I added) and homemade fresh toast. I really enjoyed this skillet. It was reminiscent of a tofu scramble sans the scramble-y part. The bread was really delicious. I'm a sucker for homemade fresh bread. The carrots were a little underdone, but otherwise I would order this again. The roasted potatoes I believe were supposed to come with it, but didn't, so I ordered them on the side. These were really tasty. They were roasted with herbs and had just the right crunchy consistency on the outside.

My friend's housemade vegan biscuits and gravy were super yummy too. The wild mushroom gravy has a lot of depth to it and is not just a simple black pepper gravy. The biscuits were fluffy and combined nicely with the gravy. Since it was made vegan, my friend got a big pile of twice-baked tofu which tasted great, but it was just way too much tofu. If they take away half the tofu from this dish and add roasted potatoes to it, it would be a winning brunch in my opinion. I left them a comment card which says just that!

If you check out their drink menu, you'll notice all the specialty coffee drinks have titles referring to A Clockwork Orange which I thought was cute. My friend and I both got the Agent Orange Mimosa and they were really good (although probably not worth $10, but hey, it was a splurge brunch).

As far as other vegan options on the brunch menu go, there are a couple skillets one can get with tofu including the seasonal squash and the roots (root veggies). As I mentioned, there are s'more pancakes as well as "plain jane" vanilla bean pancakes and seasonal fruit pancakes. Sides include apple slaw, roasted potatoes, and caramelized grapefruit. There are, of course, baked goods up at the bakery counter one can get. They always have a variety of vegan cupcakes, cake balls, donuts, fruit bars, and brownies. Bleeding Heart also carries fresh bread that they sell at this location.

The service was kind of slow and we waited for 20 minutes or more for our food, but the atmosphere and quality of the food did not disappoint.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/03/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of.html

Pros: vegan-friendly menu, vegan desserts, great atmosphere
Cons: slow service
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Bleeding Heart Baker & Cafe

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

We ate brunch at BHB last weekend, and let's just say there were many ups and downs, so I'm feeling pretty average about this new location for now. To start, I was super excited to try this new location since the cafe was added to the BHB's business model. The wait was very long, about 1 hour, but then we saw others being seated at the counter immediately, so we did the same after waiting 40 minutes. It did take the waitress a while to stop by, and when she did I was saddened to hear that they were out of ingredients for the vegan "Epic Bagel". So I ended up ordering the squash skillet (zucchini, potatoes, tofu). It took about an hour from when we ordered our food to when we actually received it - after we had been sitting there for 50 minutes, a cook had stopped by and asked if we had ordered food...turns out that the waitress didn't put our order in. Once I got my food I couldn't help but notice that it was somewhat bland, it was decent, but bland - salt and hot sauce came to the rescue though. I would order it again, but likely will not given the taste and lack of complexity of the dish for the price they're charging, $12. Honestly, I was prepared to give BHB a 1 or 2 given the forgotten order and blandness of the food, however, the manager had fixed the situation. He came by as we were eating our food and apologized for what happened and offered to comp one our dishes - not only was this a great gesture, it's something that has changed my mind about returning, so I will be back to try the vegan Epic Bagel. Overall, I'd say give BHB a shot and judge for yourself...things could always improve. I'll certainly update my review once I return, and I'm hoping to upgrade it to a 4 or 5.

Dear Owner and Manager of West Town Bakery and Diner: