Welcome Chinese Vegetarian ...

Vegetarian cafe in Christchurch serving Chinese and Western food. Features over 100 items on the menu with most being vegan. Food such as fried radish cake, hot plates, claypot dishes, noodle, vegan ice cream, and more. No onion or garlic used. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Western, International, Take-out
2 Wharenui Road, Riccarton (near the University)
Christchurch, New Zealand
03-3482630
Closed now

Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by vegestuff
Ryecatcher
Ryecatcher

Don't go there if you don't have to

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2014

So that's how it goes: The food is good and the menu is pretty big, especially providing lots of vegan options. Basically that's all, there is nothing more special about this place, hence I am surprised about all that gushing praise.
I had a vegan special which was fair, but deep-fried and therefore nothing really special. In fact sadly most of the dishes are deep-fried. My plate was still sprinkling from oil, so after a minute the oil was splashed all over the table (and also a bit all over me).
Actually it's probably the best to order something to take away, because the premise itself isn't very cozy and after a while sitting there you smell like a cheap snack bar or chip stand.
I took a vegan pastry as dessert which was hard as stone.
Besides, it's quite a long walk from downtown Christchurch.
All in all a pretty disappointing experience.

Pros: huge menu, food fair
Cons: sleazy place, smells oily, most dishes deep-fried
tleigh
tleigh

Love This Place!

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

Can't believe that almost everything on the menu is vegan....So many choices!
If you're a Vegan travelling to Christchurch definitley try here.
Yes a lot of it is fried, but like the other reviewer said, probably the chinese influence of the cooking. It's yummy, and I don't eat like this everyday.
The owner is lovely, always very friendly.
The prices are good, especially for take away lunches.
No complaints about this place.

Pros: Too many choices, Yummy food, Try the won tons! Delicious!
Cons: Can't think of any
BayHabourVege
BayHabourVege

Best Veg/Vegan Restaurant In the World

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! Curry Fried-Rice or Curry Fried-Noodles with Extra Soy Protein (spicy) = EPIC AWESOMENESS. I used to live in Christchurch for 2 years during my study at University of Canterbury and I go there nearly every day. I couldn't find a single place anywhere in the world which comes close to this Veg/Vegan Heaven. Friendly owner. Very tasty food. Man, I LOVE this place and I really miss this place. My meat-eating dorm mates also love this place.I highly recommend this place and my two favourite dishes to everyone, whether Vegan/Vegetarian or even Meat-eating folks. PLEASE OPEN A RESTAURANT in Auckland.

Ratings (out of 10)

Price : 10/10 (cheap)
Food Quantity : 10/10 (more than enough)
Taste : 10/10 ( OMG!!! Bloody best tasting food ever)
Accessibility : 10/10 ( By bus or car, and near Riccarton)
Customer Service : 10/10 ( friendly-folks)

misstracee
misstracee

always welcome.

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

sure, the place looks a bit dodgy. i'm not going there for that. i go for the awesome food that welcome serves up. my partner and i go every wednesday for our 'welcome wednesday' meal and every wednesday we leave there happy. the staff is super friendly and the service is quick. highly recommended!

Pros: friendly, excellent selection, inexpensive
neve13078
neve13078

SOOOOOOO YUMMMMMMMMMMMM

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

Fantastic food. Fantastic service. Fantastic price. Fantastic venue. This is my favourite Chinese restaurant in New Zealand. I highly recommend it!!!

Pros: Fantastic food, Fantastic service, Lots of selection
happyhuman
happyhuman

Cosy restaurant - friendly service and yummy food

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

If your craving a meaty taste this is a great place to go. Its a lovely family run restaurant. Bernard is often serving with a big friendly smile. Well worth visiting.

peas-full
peas-full

Lots of mock meat. Delicious. Recommended!

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

I highly recommend this place: it is one of the best places I have found for mock meat and tofu dishes.
The menu is extensive (4 pages or more) and you can try something different every time: 85% of it is vegan!
The food is mostly fried but it is not oily.
The owner is very friendly and prices are low.
What it lacks in atmosphere, it makes up for in deliciousness.

Pros: excellent food, extensive menu, low prices
Cons: don't go there for a romantic date.
mkpurvis
mkpurvis

Best place for "mock" meat

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

This is one of the best places I have found for mienjin and tofu-based imitation meat. I highly recommend it.

philjdomm
philjdomm

many options and larger menu

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2009

i like the options of mock and staight vegan, tofu, vegetables as well.

sassyjac3
sassyjac3

Welcome Chinese Vegetarian in Riccarton

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

Everyone else pretty much tells you most things. The menu is extensive, 85% of it is vegan, and the owner is very friendly. I do however have a couple of complaints. The food is almost all fried (predominantly deep fried) and the restaurant is located kind of in a strip mall so it lacks ambience. I think the deep-frying is just a result of it being Chinese cuisine and the ambience cannot be helped, for if more people were into Vegan food we wouldn't have to deal with it.

Pros: Choices, Vegan Options, Friendly Owner
Cons: Deep-fried, Lacks Ambience
Gokiwi
Gokiwi

Delicious

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2008

A vegetarian restaurant with a menue of about 4 pages? I couldn't believe it the first time! I try something different everytime now but the hotplates are my favorites! I've never been disappointed. Love it!

Pros: Superb Food, Friendly Service, affordable
vegestuff
vegestuff

Nice little restaurant

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2007

The two reviews below have pretty much summed it up, I can only add that if you're a vegetarian and you're hungry - that's where you go! The food is wholesome, not "heavy" but at the same time satisfying. The owners do not use any onion or garlic in their cooking, but they use eggs in some preparations.

Pros: Friendly staff, Tasty food, No onion or garlic
Cons: Use eggs in some preps

Dear Owner and Manager of Welcome Chinese Vegetarian Food:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Christchurch page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2012/07/12