Serves meat, veg options available. Fish and vegetarian food menu. Try the tofu or tempeh and chips. Price: Moderate more-less
American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Plattburger
sandramv
sandramv

Huge disappointment :(

1 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

I was looking forward to trying this place since I moved here months ago, but unfortunately I did not like it at all. To be fair, I tried ONE thing on the menu, and I got it to go. So it could be just what I ordered. I ordered the fish and chips with seitan (I can't remember what it's called). The bite I took, was the same I spit out. That bad :( I had to throw everything away, the fries I couldn't even try because I was grossed out by the seitan. So, as I said, this could be what I ordered and because seitan could not be my thing (I have had seitan before, so maybe not) but I really don't think I wanna go there again. Sorry :/

Pros: very good service, prompt
Cons: didn't like the seitan at all, no utensils or napkins (order to go)
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Was interesting - but pass.

1 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

Hmmm.... there's something a little uncomfortably dissonant about vegan items in a "seafood" shop. Interesting, but uncomfortably dissonant.

The menu items sounded pretty exciting - tofu or seitan fish cocktails and chips, deep fried battered gherkins, vegan fish tacos (never had a non-vegan one in my life but I hear they're popular). On receiving them they weren't as oohh-and-aahh worthy as they sounded on the menu - but they were fine.

Two problems:

1. One of our tacos came with a real fish fillet. Yes, I know it was a mistake, but this is one of those unfortunate realities of eating in a non-exclusively-vegan restaurant - that a simple mistake may cost someone a life.

2. On the front counter there was a bunch of intriguing looking booklets. I took one to read later and it turned out to be anti-gay propaganda by some Christian group. O.K.

My recommendation: give it a miss. If you want have a vegan bite amidst settling for open bigotry and smelling fish corpses you can get it a lot cheaper somewhere else, like at the local wholefoods warehouse.

One star rating is reflective of my overall attitude to it. To be fair I'd give the food we tried 3-4 stars.

Pros: Few
Cons: Many
CBeng
CBeng

Good vegan options

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

Serves fish, eggs and dairy, but also has seitan, vegan chorizo.

Brunch selection includes bottomless mimosas, vegan pancakes, tofu scramble.

Overall very flavorful, nice selection. Not cheap.

Pros: Selection, Atmosphere, Vegan options
Cons: Not cheap
macmantrl
macmantrl

Great food and atmosphere

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

Love the food here! The Buffalo Girls (seitan wings) are amazing, best part of our meal. Fries are good too, nice and thick, and they come with a mix of sweet potato and 'normal' potato fries.

Lots of vegetarian options, and our server informed us that all vegetarian options are already vegan or can be made vegan, so plenty to choose from.

I've also had the tofu fish and chips. By itself, it doesn't have much flavor, but it came with vegan chipotle sauce and vegan tarter sauce. Once dipped in those it was really good.

Our server was really friendly, prompt, and made sure we had everything we needed. I liked the general atmosphere too, although it can get a little loud because of all the flat, hard surfaces.

Pros: Buffalo girls, good service, lots of options
Cons: Fried food
TwoHappyVegans
TwoHappyVegans

Not very good

1 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

I have been here about three or four times now so I feel it's about time to leave a review. Every time I've been here the service has been ho hum. Nobody is really friendly, they just kind of take your order and move on. I had to ask for water several times and for other basic things, such as a menu and even silverware. The food is just okay, and some is very bad. I once went in and wanted a tofu scramble. That seems to be a very basic menu item, something that's hard to mess up, right? Wrong! The waiter asked me what sauce I wanted on it. I told him no sauce, thanks, just "regular tofu scramble". About fifteen minutes later -- no joke -- he walks out with a large plate full of -- and again, I s**t you not -- plain, stark white tofu. They literally took a block of tofu, crumbled it, and put it on a plate with not a lick of seasonings, spices, veggies, etc. WHAT?! Does that really look like a "regular tofu scramble"?! FAIL #4 Weird Fish. I'll never be back.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Unfriendly waitstaff, Unappetzing food, High prices

ChristineCook
ChristineCook

vegan fried food

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

If you want deep-fried, vegan food, Weird Fish is the place. They had at least five vegan options. I had the vegan "fish and chips" which was okay. It came with a good slaw and french-fried potatoes. My boyfriend had the "Vegetarian Vendetta" which is a surprise dish. It turned out to be deep-fried tofu over veggies. It was pretty tasty. If you like fried food, give this place a try. If you don't like fried food, stay away.

Pros: Vegan options, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Fried food
in2insight
in2insight

Not vegan friendly anymore

3 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2011

To be fair, this place never set out to be vegan or even vegetarian. That they had 3-5 options for us was just awesome, and very tasty indeed.
When I went back in Jan 2011 there was only one item on the menu, seitan tacos. The waiter was fantastic, and upon sensing my disappointment, asked the kitchen if they would make me a seitan "fish" and chips, which they did.
It was very sad taste wise... They have also changed the chips to potato chips from the French fries they used to serve. Oh well.

VeganTex
VeganTex

Weird Fish

3 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

I really liked the vegan tacos when I first ate here circa 2008, but the last time I went early 2010 it wasn't as good.....seemed like less vegan options as well.

Humanicide
Humanicide

Bleh

1 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

The only good thing on the menu, are the vegan buffalo wings. other than that, it's pretty bland, to mediocre and even bad. The fish n chips is pretty mediocre, I make them better in my own kitchen, and don't order the "random" because they will give you some weird mango seitan steak that just flat out sucks. It's expensive too, but so is san francisco. which is ironic because the first thing you will notice is how unbelievably impoverished most of the people who live there are.

Pros: Buffalo wings
Cons: Expensive, sucks, expensive and sucks
quarrygirl
quarrygirl

vegan fish and chips FTW!

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2009

Weird Fish is absolutely amazing! We ordered the Buffalo Girls (seitan "chicken" wings with buffalo sauce and vegan ranch dressing) as an appetizer, and were very pleased. Each piece was coated in a perfectly crunchy and spicy batter that was red hot (temperature AND spicy hot), yet the inside was warm and very chewy. I've never eaten "real" chicken wings, so I can't compare these to them, but I can tell you they were absolutely delicious and I'd eat them again in a heartbeat.

For our main course we ordered one vegan seitan fish and chips, which came with vegan tartar sauce, wrapped in soy batter, and one tofu fish and chips entrée which was similarly presented, yet the sauce was vegan sweet and sour cream. At only $8 for two pieces with chips, this was not only a huge portion of food but great value too. If you're extra hungry, you can get an additional piece of tofu or seitan "fish" for only $3 more. No wonder this place is so crazy busy!

The tofu choice was a huge, hunking chunk of firm, seasoned tofu with a very steamy inside...yet the seitan "fish" was much more chewy (the same inside, I think, as the Buffalo Girls).

What's special here is not a chunk of vegetable protein per-se, but what they DO with it. The vegan batter is incredibly tasty, soaked in oil and so crunchy that it breaks into bits that fly all over the place when you bite into it. The chips are also similarly perfectly prepared -- probably from fresh potatoes which means you can actually taste the potato rather than the freezer bag that held them for months before you ate them.

The only downside I can think of for Weird Fish is the humongous amount of oil and calories one must consume when eating there. I must have had over 600 calories (most of them fat) from the one meal I ate. You know what, though? I'd eat that again if it was twice the calories and happily skip another meal to make up for it. :)

Pros: lots of vegan options, inventive cuisine, large portions
Cons: not vegetarian restaurant, crowded, rotating menu
lmzeigler
lmzeigler

creative vegan dishes

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2008

I tried the vegan 'hellfish' tacos made with seitan. Delicious! My dining companions also liked their food, including the sweet potato fries, though not all their meals were vegan. It's a tiny place and doesn't take reservations so go early or be ready to wait!

Pros: original menu, delicious
Cons: may have to wait
Plattburger
Plattburger

Buffalo Girls!

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

Some really good vegan options, the best thing is the delicious Buffalo Girls, spicy breaded seitan "buffalo wings" with a veganaise-type dip!

Pros: cute place
Cons: sometimes busy, slightly pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Weird Fish: