Wealden Wholefoods

leaby
leaby

Not particularly vegan-friendly

3 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

This is a very nice vegetarian joint - this review is from the perspective of a vegan in search of an outlet catering for her preferred diet in East Sussex. We decided to visit this place as it IS listed as being "vegan-friendly" on HappyCow - which may apply to the shop part of this venue, but I don't feel it is particularly accurate insofar as the cafe part is concerned.

The menus on the tables contained no vegan options, and when I asked the waitress what options there were, she pointed me to the front of the shop where there was some food in the glass display. The food was clearly marked - unfortunately, mostly as "non vegan." Still, there was a pasty I could have, so I ordered one of those, asking for a bit of salad with it. The waitress said the pasty came with salad anyway. When my order arrived, some of the salad accompanying it was coated in mayonnaise and some had feta in it, despite the fact that I think I'd made it very clear that I only wanted vegan food.

This is the sort of oversight I would expect with the majority of restaurants, but I was hoping for a more relaxed visit where I could eat vegan food without having to faff about when ordering it. I moreover found it to be quite overpriced.

On the positive side, the venue itself is lovely, and I'd recommend the place to vegetarians. The shop itself has a great selection for vegetarians and vegans alike.

Pros: lovely venue, good selection in shop
Cons: doesn't cater for vegans well, over-priced

Dear Owner and Manager of Wealden Wholefoods: