Waverley Vegetarian Restaurant

Bluelotus
Bluelotus

Waverly Resturant

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

Great hearty and filling food with good selection of different salads and fresh home made houmas! Very relaxed atmoshphere. Reasonable prices too.

Pros: excellant food, good value, friendly staff
StarClusters
StarClusters

Nice food, tad over-priced. Few other issues

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2009

I visit this place fairly often. It's a small vegetarian restaurant, they do normally have some vegan choice, but I don't think they go out of their way to make vegan options.

They do lovely soya lattes, and nice smoothies, though smoothie choice is limited. The 'restaurant' itself is in the back end of a health food shop, and beneath an art gallery. The food is prepared daily and home cooked. When I ask about the vegan options, the owner/chef does seems to have knowledge of what a vegan is and helpful in informing me what ingredients are in various items. Last time I had a meal there, the vegan options included bean burgers and potato cakes, both were delicious. There is always a good choice of salads, which look yummy, though they use some non-vegan things in some of them, like mayo. There's a selection of home cooked cakes.

Because this is a small place, the food choice is limited. It's pretty standard veggie fair (lasagne, curry, baked potatos, salads etc with some variation and new items in each of my visits) but all home cooked. I do feel the food, considering the standard nature of it, lack of options and considering the restaurant building/location, is a tad overpriced. Last time I looked one could pay best part of a fiver (or more) for baked potato, filling and salad, when just a few shops down the road you can get a massive bag of chips for £1.50. And last time I had salad, the portions were not generous in the least. My other complaint is the chairs - they are fold-away and a bit flimsy cause of it. I'm of rotund build and feel like I'm gonna crash through 'em! But even my less generously built friend feels a tad unstable on them. The restaurant, which is not open long, gets pretty busy at lunchtime, you might be hard pushed to get a seat (allbeit a flimsy one) at peak times.

As for the staff, the owner is friendly enough when you ask her about things, but she can be a little huffy or distracted at all other times, and thus maybe what the other complaint here is about. I wouldn't say the service is bad, (they've always been quite accommodating), but it is not overly personable and can seem quite aloof at times. I echo the other review, in that, whilst I personally don't like pushy-over-friendly-over-chatty-loud staff - the occasional smile would go a long way here. It would make them seem more approachable.

Nice homecooked food. Ok place. Considering this is the only veggie place I know of in Carmarthen, it's not a bad option.

Pros: Homecooked, Some vegan options, Only veggie place in Carmarthen
Cons: Over priced, limited options, Horrible flimsy chairs!
maggiecotton
maggiecotton

Not so Good

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2007

Poor quality bland food, also they make sandwiches for the wholefood shop which it is located in, this includes fish sandwiches, so the restaurant is veggie food but they prepare fish in the same kitchen. I did not realise this until I had tried the food, otherwise I would not have eaten there. I spoke to the staff about this issue and they really did not care.

Dear Owner and Manager of Waverley Vegetarian Restaurant: