Waterside Wholefoods Cafe

Veggie restaurant and cafe serving vegetarian and vegan food. Uses organic and fairtrade ingredients. Vegans to specify. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Catering, English

VeganNatasha
VeganNatasha

Ok

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2014

The food was lovely, but was very hard to see what vegan options there was because nothing was marked vegan. Lovely little cafe though.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: nothing marked vegan, staff wasn't very attentive
Caryne
Caryne

Uninspiring vegetarian cafe with little for vegans

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

Dull and boring vegetarian cafe which relies heavily on huge portions of salad and small mains, even on a cold December day. This is the sort of place that I havn't seen since the 1980's, a tatty, cluttered cafe (it also calls itself a wholefood shop but stock was very limited and just spread around the cafe making it very hard to browse) where the choice for mains consisted of a small portion of something and a huge plate of salad to fill the plate up. I've nothing against salad but I want something more substantial in December and when out of at least six salads only two are vegan (and that's red cabbage and shredded beetroot) I am not impressed. My lacto veggie partner said the quiche was nice enough but the portion was tiny and he just didn't want mountains of random salad that when all mixed together on a small plate was revolting. I had a baked potato which something described as a cassoulet but was really just a flavourless bean stew. For £6.95 a portion I wsan't impressed. I was hoping for dessert but though there must have been at least eight different cakes on display none of them were vegan, is it really that hard to make at least one vegan cake a day. I could have had a flapjack but why pay good money for a flapjack that you can get anywhere. If it was a lot cheaper and I waasn't vegan it might be ok for a quick snack but as it is I would suggest that the place is best avoided until they bring their cooking into this century.

Pros: Looks pretty from outside
Cons: Too much salad, Little vegan choice, Cluttered and dated looking
loobybunny
loobybunny

disappointed :(

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

On first arrival it looks lovely from the outside, great little seating area on the riverfront. However, once inside it became apparent that it really needs a makeover. Dont get me wrong, cosy and quaint is great, but once our eyes adjusted to the darker interior it looked tired and cluttered and desperately needs redecorating.
I had been looking forward to a lovely piece of vegan cake and a nice coffee, but the only vegan sweet they could offer me was flapjack :( my friend(non-vegan)had the carrot cake which she said was very dry.
We only had cake and a drink so I cant comment on the main meals, though the menu looked nice I couldnt see that there was really any vegan options.

Pros: friendly staff, nice waterfront seating
Cons: run-down, cluttered interior

Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

Time warp - In a Good way!

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2010

Like being transported back to a time at least 30 years ago when lots of towns had proper wholefood cafes. Sandwiches, salads, soups, savories and desserts with good vegan choices. A place where you can still get a great massive mound of mixed salads with nice dressings! Delicious and healthy. Has a nice "community" vibe too. Pleasant riverside setting.

Pros: Lots of salads, Wholefoods, Friendly
Stevie
Stevie

Waterside Wholefoods Cafe, Kendal

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2008

I had a late lunch here today. The staff were very nice and helpful. One lady is Swiss and is fluent in German and I wouldn't be surprised if she speaks some French and Italian as well. I asked what I could get as a vegan veggie and I had soup (tomato and basil and it was very nice) and baked potato with 1/2 chilli and 1/2 humous. The humous was terrific. It came with a salad also and I am glad I declined the bread with the soup as it was a big portion.

The place is child friendly, centrally located, has nice views of the river and had a nice atmo and pleasant decor. My 2 non veggie friends enjoyed it also and scoffed down the quiche that they ordered.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Helpful staff, Central location
Mimi
Mimi

Lovely Setting

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2008

Had a baked potato and hummus. Not much choice for vegans. Although the pot of tea was very good quality, and there was soya milk - hooray. Friendly staff. Also dog-friendly - there is one dog-spot . . . which is probably very much in demand! Would have liked more choice though . . . but arrived late in the afternoon. Thought that the baked potato was a bit pricey (just under £6 . . . ), the hummus was very good.

Pros: Friendly, Soya milk, Lovely riverside setting
marcstevens
marcstevens

Life saver

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2007

We passed through this town on a quiet Monday and found the Cafe closed for redecoration. Luckily for us they generously threw together a vegan takeaway and hunger pangs were averted. Therefore we can't really comment on the restaurant fully or its food, but can lay testament to their kindness.

Pros: Very kind staff!, Tasty food, River view
jacqui
jacqui

Great find

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2007

We ate here and had a delicious lunch, even my non-veggie mate gave it the thumbs up! The staff were friendly, the food was freshly prepared and tasted great. We had a nice view overlooking the river and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Highly recommended.

Pros: Freshly prepared, Tasty, Nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Waterside Wholefoods Cafe: