Water Lily Restaurant

Kuala Lumpur vegetarian restaurant with an extensive food menu. Condensed milk mixed with coconut milk is used in some curries including the vege fried prawn and the vege fish head soup with noodles. Other curries such as the noodle curry and vege curry do not used milk. Vegans need to check. Previously named Fatt Yan Vegetarian Restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Malaysian

First Review by PatriciaRobinson
Neeruam
Neeruam

Nice place

3 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

I went there yesterday evening. I tried a traditional cantonese dish with vegetables and noodles in a soup. It was very tasty, and not expensive (7RM). The waitress helped me chose something in the menu, as they were many choices.
However, I went there at 9PM, and all the staff was cleaning the room when I was eating, looking at me regularly to see if I have finished. Their closing time is officially 10PM, but they seemed quite in a hurry to close the restaurant. I didn't really appreciate that... I ate very quickly, and left at 9:30.

Pros: Nice food, Inexpensive
Cons: Staff quite cold, Same music repeated all the time
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Lovely, creative Chinese restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

A pleasant, bright Chinese restaurant. There's plenty on the menu to choose from, including some dishes you probably won't have seen before. I had a bean curd and vegetable dish, flavoured with olive and dried pumpkin. It was really good and interesting. The atmosphere is more peaceful than the Indian places one block over (and there's less dairy used here to worry about). They offer some tasting platters and set menus (for 2 or more people) which are pricey, but most individual dishes are around RM 10. Also, they have a range of vegan fresh fruit sorbets.

Pros: Delicious, Creative, Peaceful
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Previously known as Fatt Yan

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Food leaves something to be desired. Not very atmospheric. Clientale sits at tables for long time watching Chinese dramas on tv. Right when you get off the Majarajalela monorail and walk about 500 m there's an Indian veggie restaurant that's a much better looking option than this.

samden
samden

Best place for Chines Food in KL

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

This is my favorite Restaurant in KL for Chines Food. The taste is always good to excellent and the portions are big enough (whit the set meals for more than one person, you can easy go for the maximum number of recommended people). The staff is very friendly and some products in their store are amazing (try the Tom Yam paste). They also sell vegan ice cream which are great (try durian).

Pros: Best chines food in town, Nice staff, Shop
Cons: Can be full in bussy times
asocial
asocial

Nice.

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

Good mock place. Mix of Taiwanese, Malaysian, Thai style dishes. More varied than many of the straight up Taiwanese mock places I go to in Australia. Very friendly. Big menu. Dealt with kids well. Very well priced.

ekendra
ekendra

good food, funny vibes

3 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2012

The food was tasty here and priced reasonably.

The service was nice, however the staff need some training in social skills. For some reason, they saw fit to stare at us for most of our visit. One lady in particular did nothing but sit and stare while we ate and fed our kids the entire time.

About mid way through our meal, the staff had their lunch which meant that service to our table was temporarily suspended. Still, that did not deter them from staring while they ate.

The whole place could use a good cleaning up too. Perhaps if the staff were not so visually fixated on the customers, they'd notice the filth around them.

We left with satisfied tummies but still felt pretty uncomfortable with the idea of going back. (Which we didn't.)

Pros: tasty, affordable
Cons: rude staff, dirty
veggiebubble
veggiebubble

Very good restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

I always look forward to visiting this restaurant when I return to Kuala Lumpur! Great selection in the menu and everything I've tried has been really tasty. They seem to have a buffet to choose from in the morning and in the evening you can select from the menu (which is available for lunch too). Loads of mock meats but my favourite is the spicy tofu dish with rice - the sauce is delicious! I'm off there tonight and can't wait!!...

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Clean
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

Lovely!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2012

The food was terrific and lovely staff. Favorites were faux Thai fish, spicy chilli faux chicken and pepper faux ribs.

Pros: Delicious food , Lovely staff, Clean and convenient location
Tofulicious
Tofulicious

Fantastic place! Great food, friendly service

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

While this place is listed as 'moderate', I'd go so far as to say it's 'inexpensive'. The owner and staff are lovely beyond belief, and the tamarind Assam 'fish' was the best I've ever had. It's best to go with a group, so you can appreciate the variety of dishes, but for a solo diner the noodle or rice dishes are great value.

Pros: Delicious food, Great service, Good value for money
nafanc
nafanc

yummy!

4 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2012

quick, delicious, and cheap vegan fare! i went there twice in one day and had great meals both times!

Pros: cheap, delicious, quick
Fifi La Purr
Fifi La Purr

Good Food

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

Very good vegan food, wide range of choice and prices including cheap set meals such as mock chicken rice and greens - gorgeous! Plenty of tofu/veg dishes if you're not into mock meats and oh just try those buns!!!!
Friendly service. Well worth a visit or two

Pros: Fab Food, Freindly, Good Value
PatriciaRobinson
PatriciaRobinson

basic and great!

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2011

Basic chinese vegan food that is really good. They have a collection of buns that are amazing. The vegetable and red bean were my favorites. They don't use MSG, we asked them about it and they showed us the seasoning they use so we could be sure. Both times we have gone, the server we've gotten has been super nice. Their menu has a variety of soy based mock meats which we haven't tried because unfermented soy does not do us well. We've stuck to the pretty large vegetable section. Also, the portions are a good size-each vegetable plate we have gotten has been enough for one person especially with the addition of rice. Overall, we really like this place.

Pros: No MSG, steamed buns, friendly staff
Cons: soy based "meats"

Dear Owner and Manager of Water Lily Restaurant: