Warung Sopa

Mostly organic, vegetarian cafe in Ubud. Many vegan options. Kid-friendly, books. Offer papaya cake. Same owner as Sopa in Madrid. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Juice bar, Salad bar, Take-out, Delivery
Jalan Sugriwa, Ubud (Jl. Hannoman)
Bali, Indonesia
0361-276-5897

Open 09:00-21:00.

First Review by Perth Geoff
Jdw238
Jdw238

Food OK

3 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

Limited choice but the food we had was good.

Pros: lime mint drink served with separate syrup
Cons: not very welcoming
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

Would love to come back

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

I only had the chance to eat here once during our stay in Ubud but would definitely go there again next time.

I ordered a plate which included rice and the choice of several small dishes such as samosas, fried tofu, falafel etc. It was very good and filling. They also have deserts that are very tasty :)

Pros: Lovely food, Affordable, Nice staff
medus
medus

Cakes!

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

We went to Warung Sopa three times during our stay in Bali. It's a very cozy restaurant, ideal for relaxing for an hour or so while drinking coffee or juice. Their menu is rather small but everything we tried was delicious. The selection of desserts, however, was impressive. At that time they had maybe five different vegan cakes, all of them very tasty.

Although Warung Sopa is not 100% vegan (which is the reason why I give it four cows), they clearly indicate vegan dishes and understand what that means.

Pros: vegan cakes, nice atmosphere , inexpensive
Cons: not 100% vegan
VegoTraveller
VegoTraveller

Great Local Food

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

A great Warung in a comfortable village setting. Its located off the main strip but well sign posted. The food is indonesian with a bit of a japanese twist in some dishes. All great tasting. Reasonably priced (not the cheapest nor the most expensive) - we paid 110,000IDR for two people.

Pros: indonesian food, comfortable setting, free wifi
Cons: located away from the main strip
fearless
fearless

Fantastic Sopa!

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2012

We ate here on two occasions and really enjoyed the dishes on both occasions. The service is friendly, efficient and the dishes are cheap. Another positive is that I walked out feeling like I had eaten a quality balanced meal.
The highlight for me was having their "plate" which consisted of four different dishes (e.g. samosa, curry, spring rolls, salad) + rice for only 24K!
Their soups are also enjoyable and if you have dessert try their lime pie!

Pros: Quality food, Cheap, Tasty
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Great desert and snack option

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

This inexepensive little cafe has a wonderful selection of pies, many of which are vegan. My personal favorite is snake fruit and lime. IF you've never tried snake fruit (local=salak) imagine an apple tart and you're pretty close to what this tastes like.

Pies range between 10-12K. They also have tapas options such as samosas (excellent--& it's not often non desis get samosas right!), quiche, etc each of which is about 5K. They do a "nasi campur" mixed place (small serving of rice with any number of tapas you want).

Overall there selection items are not really entrees but more like snacks so it's hard to fill up here if you're really hungry though. Would recommend this as more of a snack stop or desert stop

Pros: great vegan pies, inexpensive
Cons: have to take your shoes off
veganC
veganC

love it :-)

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

I love this place!! the atmosphere is very relaxed. You really feel good here and it's a nice place to stay longer. I like to read there (they've got a lot of books but most of them are in Japanese and in Spanish).
The food is really really good too!! and cheap (for Ubud)!!
I love their Taco Rice (the vegan version, without cheese and egg). The Nasi Campur is great (you can choose what you want)and the soups are simple and delicious.

ernes_12
ernes_12

You will return

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

What is maybe the most important thing in a restaurant? The food. And the food is really good here! Also the staff is friendly and it is a clean place. Would recommend!

Please note that the restaurant location is at least one block further north as opposed to the location on the map.

Pros: Food, Clean
simpsonyellow
simpsonyellow

Cosy, Relaxed and Delicious

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

If you're after delicious veggie fare in a lovely, relaxed setting then look no further. With a good variety of dishes available, including a lot of vegan options, there should be something for everyone here. Soups, salads, tofu/tempeh, savoury slices, fresh juices, and a wide variety of desserts, including pies and coconut ice cream (unfortunately not vegan).

We had nasi campur, where you're given a serving of rice and then get to pick 4 dishes from the display. There were around 15 different options on the day we went, and they all looked delicious, which didn't make for easy selection. There is also a menu of standard dishes, and a number of blackboards listing the daily specials. The cuisine is Indonesian fusion, and makes excellent use of tofu and tempeh (some deep fried, some not). We had a ginger based drink (homemade ginger beer I think) and a tamarind flavoured juice (I don't remember the other ingredients), both of which were excellent.

The vegan desserts are sensational - be sure to sample one of the delicious pies (lime, mango, or whatever they have on the day). We had two slices, and then got some more to take away.

Definitely one of, if not the best veggie place in Ubud for my money. Highly recommended.

Pros: Fresh, Vegan Desserts, Friendly Staff
claireabella
claireabella

Great vegan options esp dessert

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

This chilled little place is easy to find, friendly and has great food. When I arrived on my first visit, I think it was a Sunday, they were just finishing up from the little market they have selling fresh local produce.

I love lots of small tastes and plates, so for me the Nasi campur is an easy choice. Asian tapas really! I chose veg curry, tofu balls, tempeh in sweet soy, ratatouille, tofu & tomato salad. All served in little banana leaf plates. The tempeh was really crunchy and overly sweet. The homemade sambal is fantastic but tread with caution if your chilli tolerance is low. There is also fresh shallot and chilli relish.

Basically, I had this meal each time I visited. The variety changed slightly each day but not vastly. The tofu balls were great but for me the standout was the slice of tomato, onion and cashew pie that appeared on the second visit. Fresh, tasty and rich. Delicious vegan pie.

The homemade tofu was thick and rich too. Huge portion and the soy was not too overpowering as it can be. I may have overdone it with the soy products that morning for breakfast, if you see the picture I posted. All good though.

I don't usually crave sweetness but it's wonderful to see so many vegan options available for those who do. Vegan pies included: choc/coconut, snake fruit, lime/coconut and choc/toffee. I had the toffee one. Not overly sweet and the base was a little crumbly. When a staff member took my plate, he explained that it's really hard to get the base not to crumble and make it vegan. Not that i had mentioned it. I think it's a work in progress. Non vegan options included carrot cake and soy pudding.

Lots of soups available too: sweet corn, carrot, cauliflower, green pea and Japanese miso and veg. Staff were all lovely and helpful. Other nice touches included wooden straws, kids area, good wifi and a travel agent.

Try to visit early in your trip to Ubud as I think you will revisit to work your way around the menu. Enjoy :)

Pros: Great vegan options, Lots of tastes in one meal., Healthy & friendly
edispicky
edispicky

Amazing vegetarian Japanese and Balinesian food

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

Warung Sopa is an amazing find. A small menu, with every dish done well. We enjoyed the nasi campur (set of balinesian small plates) and the nasi goering (fried red rice). However truly exceptional is the fresh homemade tofu side, offered simply with an amazing soy sauce. I'd never had tofu this fresh and soft, but it's almost cake-like, and is truly a treat. Also exceptional is the tempeh manis (crunchy tempeh with a sweet sauce), available as a side or as part of a nasi campur.

Note: the street that it's on has a lot of dogs, some of which bark at passers-by and are unnerving at night. I'd advise going during the day first.

Pros: fresh homemade tofu
Pawness
Pawness

A nice place for a light meal

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

Good food if somewhat bland (veg food doesn't need to be bland and there were no condiments or sauces available - like in Japan, we are supposed to like it the way it has been prepared.) nice environment, felt like a food co-op /natural food place in a college town in the west.

The staff was ok but seemed rushed and maybe overworked. Not friendly though we were trying to be. Ah well... Still a good veg option in the middle of Ubud.

Pros: Quick, Inexpensive, Fresh
Cons: Bland
naminoodles
naminoodles

Amazing good, great service, can't beat this place

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

During our stay in Ubud, we came just about everyday. The staff were incredibly friendly and treated us like their family! Food was superb, especially the soups. Has WIFI and was a very relaxing place to be :)

Pros: Food, Staff, Location
Jessica Bailey
Jessica Bailey

Warung Sopa in Ubud

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2011

Very limited menu but it was all very tasty. Quiet place and a little out of the way but a pleasant decor and friendly staff. Seems geared towards Japanese judging by all the books in the book shelves.

Pros: good food, nice decor, friendly staff
Cons: limited menu
Perth Geoff
Perth Geoff

Cosy little nook

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

The food here was really fresh, and they make awesome vegan pies!! Vegan pumpkin pie, Vegan Coconut cream pie with chocolate base, and coconut icecream. It would have been good to have with with a cappuccino, unfortunately they didn't have any soy milk. They do however have a really good espresso machine. Free Wifi like most places too.

Pros: Great desert
Cons: No soy milk

Dear Owner and Manager of Warung Sopa: