Walnut Grille

Opened in Feb 2013 this is a vegetarian restaurant offers a varied menu with many choices. Pleasant atmosphere with plenty of parking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Pizza, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out
1203 Walnut St
Newton, Massachusetts 02461
617 964-1029

Open Mon-Fri 11am-10pm Sat-Sun 9am-4pm, 5-9/10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Roberta Stack
TumeriaVLanglois
TumeriaVLanglois

Great place to eat

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

I love Walnut Grille. It isn't 100% vegan but it is vegetarian. Almost all dishes can be made vegan, however. They also cater to Gluten Free needs. The food is excellent and the service is good. They have excellent deserts and smoothies. I recommend the Blue Moon smoothie, and if you go on the right night, the Zebra Cake is to die for! All in all a wonderful restaurant.

Pros: Most things can be made vegan, excellent food, nice atmosphere
veganamanda
veganamanda

My new favorite dinner spot

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

Walnut Grille is a great addition to the Boston area. The place is nice inside, a great menu with lots of vegan choices, delicious food, and reasonable prices.

I came for brunch with an omnivore, and she loved her meal. The vegan french toast was delightful. The serving was huge and very filling.

I've also come for dinner and got the seitan marsala. Again, the portion was large and the food was divine.

I would definitely recommend. Perfect for dates.

Pros: Food, Ambience, Wait staff
sdfsmc
sdfsmc

Excelent food!

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2014

I ate at the Walnut Grill last weekend with my wife and friends. The food was wonderful!

Allow time to be seated on a busy weekend night.

Pros: Great food, Good location, Very friendly staff
Cons: Very popular, so the wait was long
zaphod46
zaphod46

Great Brunch

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

We went for a mid-morning brunch on a Sunday. The place was fairly empty when we arrived, but filled up quite well be the time we left. The decor was fairly fancy, which worried us a little, since we have three kids (1, 3, and 6), but they were very nice and no one seemed to mind.

The brunch menu is large and everything is clearly marked vegan, can be vegan, gluten free, can be gluten free. My wife's toast was supposed to be vegan and gluten free, but it looked too much like real bread, so she did not try it.

The kids menu is good, but the portions were adult sized, so we had lots of leftovers.

The cherry on top of our meal was the vegan, gluten free chocolate souffle.

Prices were reasonable and they also have a bar. We are looking forward to going back for dinner without the kids sometime.

Pros: Tasty, Prices

BostonVegan
BostonVegan

Great place for vegans and their non-vegan friends

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

I've been to Walnut Grille several times, finally writing a review. My last two visits were with non-vegans. In both cases, I was happy and they were too. It's great to have a place where your non-veg friends can try out vegan food and not keep wondering "what do you eat?".

I'm not a big fan of fake meat, I like whole foods prepared well. Luckily, I can get plenty of that at Walnut Grille. Items I've enjoyed in my last few visits include:

* Butternut Squash Bisque
* Beluga Lentil Soup (my non-veg friends were raving over this)
* Gobi Manchurian
* Garden Quesadilla (yum!)
* Blue Moon smoothie
* Garden Loaf -- This was even better than I expected, it was moist and flavorful, not simulating a dry loaf at all.
* Vegetable lasagna

So you can see there are plenty of options without going the fake meat route.

I heartily recommend the place. And say hi to the chef/owner as well, he's a cool guy.

Pros: Delicious food, Easy to talk with friends, Appeals to non-veg friends
sglcklch
sglcklch

Pretty good meal

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

I had been meaning to check this place out for a while and finally got a chance to. My partner and I popped in on a Friday evening expecting a wait, but were seated right away. It did fill up after, although the line seemed to move quickly. The menu here reminded me a lot of Red Lentil in Watertown, but this place was much more spacious. The dining area was bigger and the tables weren't cramped like at Red Lentil. The décor was also nicer.

Uninspired by the entrée selections, we decided to just get a couple of appetizers and a salad. My favorite dish was the coconut tofu. These strips were light and crisp on the outside while tender on the inside. The coconut coating gave them a subtle but lovely flavor. They were delicious even without the two accompanying sauces. I would have no problem eating the whole plate by myself. The vegetable pops were a close second; I loved the texture and the piquant sauce. The gobi manchurian was comparable to that served at Red Lentil, which is a must-order for us. Here the flavor didn't seem to be as robust, and the texture was just as mushy instead of crunchy, which was something I hope they would work on. The winter vegetable latkes off the daily special tasted good, but were too soggy and lacked that crispy crust that latkes should have. The raw zucchini noodle salad was the weakest dish of our meal. It was bland and could use more seasoning. We also had a slice of chocolate truffle cake to round off the evening. It was moist, light, and adequately sweet, but (as a chocolate fiend) I would've liked a stronger cocoa flavor.

The portion sizes were generous, so we didn't feel our meal was incomplete in any way without having an entrée. Prices were very reasonable as well. Service was attentive, but a little rushed. Overall it was an enjoyable dinner. We'll be back.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices
Cons: unexciting entrées
DebraButensky
DebraButensky

Totally Delish Vegan/Veggie dishes

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

Walnut Grille has been a personal fav since it opened. The gobi manchurian transforms cauliflower into mouthwatering flavorful little jewels that melt in your mouth. The seitan marsala is perfectly portioned atop a creamy pillow of mashed potatos and the polenta napoleon is savory & spicy surrounded by tempting textured black eyed peas.

Pros: price, selection, ambiance
andrea
andrea

So impressed

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

We finally got out to Newton to try WG. It was quite busy, so we sat at the bar and ordered apps waiting for a table to free up. That was fine except the view behind the bar was a bit grubby--boxes of supplies and junk stacked up. We ordered the "veg-pops," the soy chicken fingers and a salad. I asked someone about the ingredients of the lollipops and another employee quickly came over and gave me a different list and admitted the first girl was all wrong. People, if you don't know something, say so, don't make it up! The lollipops were really yummy, the Farmer's salad was very good, but the chicken fingers are just patties cut into strips and ours were actually soggy.
But things got way better. We moved our apps and drinks to a table and ordered dinner. I absolutely loved my grainloaf, the tempeh Bolognese was amazing! It should come with bread and they brought me some when asked. My husband got Gardein and loved it. Our friend got Veg Lasagne; he's an omnivore and he loved it. Portions were generous. I took some home.
I had told the waitress I knew I wanted the chocolate souffle. And BAM, just as the dinner plates were picked up, they bring it to me. I'm like WHOA, no one ever took a dessert order from the other two people, who, as it turns out wanted the souffle as well. So she took it back and after a while, we all got them. The flavor was amazing and we all thought it was awesome. But the inside was totally gooey, like a lava cake. So I don't know if ours were underdone, or they are just not true souffles. Still, it was so good, and it comes with some vanilla ice cream which I slathered with the chocolate from the center. So, yes a few mis-steps, but still one of the best vegan meals I've had in Boston. The only "No" of the night are the chicken fingers.

Roberta Stack
Roberta Stack

Walnut Grille

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

Quality and fresh vegetarian/vegan food in a friendly atmosphere. Varied menu with great soups, appetizers, main courses, and desserts. Clean food, beautifully presented, and at reasonable prices. Delicious and good for you. Loved the black bean and quinoa burger and sweet potato fries. Butternut squash soup was great as well. I'll be back.

Pros: Excellent cuisine, Friendly staff, Varied menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Walnut Grille: