Wai Kika Moo Kau

Vegetarian and vegan eatery serving breakfast, lunch, and desserts. Pronunciation of name is "Why kick a moo cow." Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, English, International, Western, Beer/Wine
11a Kensington Gardens
Brighton, England BN1 4AL
01273-671117

Open Mon-Thur 9:30am-5pm, Fri-Sat 9am-9pm, Sun 10am-5pm.

First Review by Foxtrot
no8odle
no8odle

Great!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

So many vegan options! i have been there for lunch several times now and am absolutely impressed with every meal i've tried! the breakfast menu is not my kind of thing and only had a milkshake the other day, but the main dishes during the day even impressed my meat eating friends :) great staff! overall: good job guys! p.s. deserts look divine

Pros: vegan, great staff, delicious
Cons: breakfast menu is a bit boring
maible
maible

I go there every time I'm near Brighton!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

I just love this café with its unique food and style. The location is very cool and the staff was so friendly, we went there about three times in our week-long stay :D

Veganessent
Veganessent

Super Breakfast!!!!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Best Vegan breakfast I have ever had...besides my own...but possibly beats mine because of the hash browns. I lived in America and didn't understand what the fuss was about hash browns until I tasted Wai's. I'm not a huge fan of baked beans but theirs were sooo gooood! Really difficult to get a good vegan English breakfast, this really was super! Just make sure you have plenty of room in your tummy. On another visit I had a stew had mushrooms and root veg. Delish... It was a review on the milkshakes that brought me there...it was very good indeed. Next trip, it's the pancakes!

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Fantastic vegan food

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

I came here for a quick lunch with a friend this week and was very impressed. I had a delicious vegan wrap with tofu, peanut butter and leafy greens, but was intrigued by a number of other vegan items on the menu, and particularly the breakfasts. I'll definitely try and visit again!

Pros: Great vegan food, Nice location
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Excellent for the breakfast and tea-time

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

I didn't go to eat meals because I was busy to try all the vegan places. For the breakfast, you can ask the pancakes.
For a dessert or tea-time, I do suggest you the raspberries cake, the chocolate & peanut butter cupcake, with a luxuary tea of the Jenier brand (red fruits)

Pros: Excellent tea, Excellent vegan desserts

paperbagblog
paperbagblog

Great cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Usually very busy, especially at the weekends. Relaxed atmosphere and great value. Most of the menu is very food - everything is vegetarian and there are a few vegan options, although there could be more. The wraps are very good - I would definitely recommend trying them. They also have quite a few vegan cake options.

itsmeagain
itsmeagain

good food, very busy on Saturdays

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

Very rushed, overcrowded and hectic. 2pm Sat 7 Sept. Reasonable wrap, tasty soup, reasonable prices, very poor quality french fries offered up as chips, which is dire in truth. Staff seemed attentive and quite pleasant. Worth a go , a good meal all told.

Pros: plenty vegan scran, fairly cheap
Cons: crowded, fries advertised as chips
Caryne
Caryne

Tasty food, plenty for vegans

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

We visited this twice last weekend and both times have nothing but praise for the food, I am vegan, my husband vegetarian and my friend an omnivore and we all loved the food we had. My husband and friend both enjoyed the 'All Day Vegetarian Breakfast' which was huge and, they said, delicious. I had a vegan 'Deli Wrap' one day and a 'Squash Curry' the next day and both were also plentiful and delicious (personally I would make the curry a little spicier but I know they have to cater for everyone). The place also has a great choice of juices and beer/wine/cider and a good range of hot drinks with the chance to buy a second cup for a £1.00. They had several wonderful looking vegan cakes and both days I had a scrumptious coffee and walnut. The prices were all very reasonable too. The only complaint I would make is on the second visit (a Sunday) they seemed to have less staff working and I had to wait around twenty minutes to order my dessert (just a piece of cake) and then half an hour for them to bring it afterwards. It's a real pity as otherwise I would have given the place five stars. I can understand food taking a long time to cook when busy but to cut a piece of cake and put it on a plate should not take so long. The sad thing is people were being turned away because there were no tables and we were taking one up for much longer than needed waiting for the cake. This didn't happen on the first visit so I can only presume it was a staffing issue. The only other gripe is for a place called 'Why Kick a Moo Cow' it is odd that it does serve dairy and even odder that they charge 20p more if you want soya milk in your drink. Perhaps they should think on that one. All in all though, we loved the places and will go there again when next in Brighton.

Pros: Good Vegan Choices, Reasonable Prices, Friendly atmosphere
Cons: 20p extra for soya milk, Possible staffing issues, Can get very busy
Anneluren
Anneluren

My Brighton favourite

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

This is my favorite cafe in Brighton!
It doesn't have the fanciest of menus, but what it has is really good. The breakfast pancakes are amazing, and vegan. The best vegan breakfast in town ;)
The staff is very friendly and helpful!
They have great daily soups or curries, the two I've tried have been excellent.

somargre
somargre

Brilliant Veggie Cafe

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit here and we were the first diners to try out the new Mezze offer on the menu!! What a treat!! A selection of almost everything on offer, enough for two to share. Also met Farouk who was a lovely host and took time to chat to us. Will definitely be going back!!

Pros: excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: would like it to open every evening
martie
martie

excellent restaurant !

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

Really good food ! You have a lot of vegan options available and everything I tasted was nice ! Delicious cakes and soyalatte. Awesome !

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, big portions
Swimmerchild
Swimmerchild

• non-vegetarian

I look forward to my wrap

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2012

You look at the menu and can't decide because of the yummy choice, the wraps are the best because they are full of yummy goodness and delicious , scrummy , fabulous taste ...the sweet potato wedges are a matter to dream on because they taste so nice, can't wait to go tomorrow and have a delectable feast!

Pros: So healthy, perfect portions, satisfying each time, Great portions, friendly people
Georgina
Georgina

Can't wait to go back!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

I loved this place, enough tables that we didn't queue even at 1pm on a Sunday, friendly staff, great location, fantastic food! The burgers were large and really good; the desserts looked amazing but the mains were so generous that I couldn't fit in any cake. I definitely want to go back to taste more! Also they have Freedom beer as well as fresh fruit smoothies and soymilkshakes... yep, no complaints about this place :-)

Pros: Food quality, Drinks choices, Desserts
KimVEG
KimVEG

Why don't we live nearer!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

We had a wonderful meal here yet again on one of sorties into Brighton. If only public transport and petrol wasn't so expensive we would be here a lot more.

As usual we had wonderful friendly, service. Nothing is ever too much trouble.

The food was absolutely fabulous as it has been on every visit. We started with the home-made falafels and hummous as we had not tried either here before....we were not disappointed.....both were excellent.

I then had the bunless vegan burger with extra salad and fries. My husband had the Kicking Kau curry special....it was huge. We were both extremely happy. As a vegan to have such a choice of options makes me feel spoilt. I had a peanut and banana Jakes Shake to drink also. This is a meal in itself.

The cakes looked wonderful but it is either starter or cake...if we had eaten both we would have popped.

If you are visiting Brighton and are Vegan, Veggie or just like good food then a visit is a must.

Pros: Excellent food, Vegan choice, Friendly staff
Cons: It is not local to me!!!
jojoinbrighton
jojoinbrighton

Yummy!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2012

This is a great place for Breakfast, Brunch or Lunch in Brighton & I can't believe it's taken me this long to write a review!

I love their sweet potato & soya burger, their Full English Breakfast is great & I love their smoothies. Also, where else can you get chips with your breakfast?! Brilliant! Recently WaiKikaMooKau have added vegan pancakes to their breakfast menu which is a first for a Brighton eatery & they're delicious. My husband loves their soya milkshakes and they do a fantastic lemon drizzle cake.

On top of all of that the owners are wonderful & even let me organise a charity bake sale outside the cafe last year which took up most of their outdoor space on a busy day.

I only wish this place was open in the evening as Brighton is sadly lacking in any post 6pm cafe culture.

Pros: The best burger ever, Friendly service, Chips for breakfast!
Cons: No vegan cheese, not open in the evening
VeganCD
VeganCD

Brilliant vegan food!

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2011

Really great to find a place with great vegan food including cakes adn wine. Everything comes with loads of salad instead of a smatterig of leaves as you get in some places. Falafel was delicious, people were nice and friendly. Childrens menu is great and healthy, my daughter had humous and chopped veg and the best thing all the pitta bread is wholemeal whoop whoop....at last a place that offers food that is healthy and really really good. Loads of choice for us vegans and not expensive - main course was about £6.50

Pros: Loads of salad & wholemeal pittas, Yummy vegan cakes , Delicious vegan food
neilb81
neilb81

love this place

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2011

Was on holiday in brighton and visited this restaurant twice had breakfast one day and lunch the following. Both times the staff were lovely the food was well cooked and quick was expenisve'ish for lunch £8.25 for burger and fries but well worth it. Definatly worth a vist i will be going back

Pros: good vegan selection
Cons: no lunchtime menu reflected in the price
Jan
Jan

Good veggie cafe

3 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

This is a place we've visited on a number of occasions and have always enjoyed our food. However, this cafe offers standard veggie options (falafels, burgers, chilli etc) which are nice but unimaginative. They do however, have daily specials which go beyond the standard menu. Also there is a good selection of fresh juices/smoothies and shakes as well a selection of cakes, many of which are vegan.

Pros: good cakes, good shakes
Cons: average menu, average venue
Loulou
Loulou

nice cakes

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

Nice light relaxed cafe where we stopped for coffee and cake. Lots of choice of cakes but disappointing to have to pay extra for soya milk in a veggie/vegan place.

Pros: tasty cakes
Cons: pay extra for soya milk
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Very cool place!

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

The burrito has been one of the few healthy options I've found to eat in the UK. It was really fantastic I liked the rice and lentil/bean mix in it and think I'll head there tomorrow for another!

Pros: burrito
Jemima
Jemima

Breakfast and lunch place in the lanes

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

Situated in one of the lanes, it has a light blue theme. Quite a large space inside, with exposed beams and wooden tables. It is a bit of strange combination with the blue but I guess it works alright.
There were just a few other people when we went for a late lunch.

There are a variety of fry ups and the full English was recommended to me. However there were a few other options for main and I ordered a North African styled curry. This was alright. I had chocolate cake and ice-cream afterward. The cake was hot and tasted yummy with the ice-cream.
I was really full but I wished I had ordered the yummy sounding peanut butter banana smoothie to take-away!

There was just one person serving while we were there and she was busy serving everyone promptly. She managed well enough until another person joined her.

Value was fine at around ₤10 for lunch and dessert.

aclasse
aclasse

Nice relaxed veggie cafe

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2009

This place has come on a lot since my last visit (which was a few years ago) so it may well be worth trying it again if you haven't been recently.

I went at lunchtime with a friend. There were several vegan and can-be-vegan options marked on the menu. I had a substantial salad (involving vegan sausages!) and a slice of cake, both of which were fresh and tasty. My friend had a curry type dish and a cake (also both vegan I think). We also had two coffees and one fresh juice, and the whole meal came to under £28 for both of us (before service) which I thought was very reasonable.

Service was friendly and efficient, and although the food may not arrive as fast as in a fast-food place, it didn't take any longer than I'd expect given that it seems to be freshly prepared. We were in and out in an hour and a half, and it could have been less if we hadn't been taking our time over our meal.

Pros: Well-prepared tasty food, Several vegan options, including cakes, Friendly atmosphere
rosie
rosie

Wai Kika Moo Kau

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

There seem to be a few complaints about speed of service. As a Londoner, I find service nearly everywhere in Brighton is slow. But there are much, much slower places than WKMK. They do some great vegan cakes, service is usually pretty friendly and I've never found a lack of vegan options to eat. The mini lunch of hummus wrap and (generally) vegan soup option is really filling and good value.

Pros: vegan cakes, friendly staff, good soya based drinks
Cons: can be a bit slow
LauraFox
LauraFox

Check it out for yourself

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

I have to say i stumbled across this place before i read the reviews. Had i read them i would have probably stayed clear of it. I found the staff to be very helpful- the menu was clearly labelled with vegan and what could come as vegan if you wanted it to, we had the vegan fry up and it was lovely! The prices were reasonable too. We arrived there first thing when it opened so it wasn't busy, but it did become busy as we left, so i can understand why people sometimes have to wait for a table. Overall, I would visit again if near brighton.

Pros: friendly staff, reasonably priced, Good food
Cons: none really
Shockingfish
Shockingfish

Poor Quality

2 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2008

I can't think of a single thing good to say about this place poor quality of service, poor quality of food (no existant for vegans) and rather expensive for the food. Don't go here - there are better places to eat in Brighton.

Cons: poor service, poor food, lack of vegan options
raphalla
raphalla

Acceptable

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2008

The food taste good, the service is a bit slow and the price and portion of the food is reasonable.

Pros: Food
Cons: Service
Jellykones
Jellykones

OK

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2008

I only popped in here for a drink, and all I can really say is "ok".
Whilst it is reasonably priced, the service was very slow (although friendly enough) and it's not the cleanest place I've ever been to.
There were only a few people in the whole place, but the man at the table next to me had to repeatedly ask for the bread that had been missed off his order. In the end he gave up.
I also noticed that there aren't many vegan options available.

Pros: Good value, Lots of choice
Cons: Slow service, Not very vegan friendly, Not very clean
Miggi
Miggi

Should be reported to trading standards

2 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

How can they be called "why kick a moo cow" when they serve dairy products in everything - not even any vegan options?! And their other branch serves meat (through at least they changed the name of that).
No problem with veggie restaurants as such but this is SO hypocritical. Should change the name or be kicked out of town.

Cons: Not vegan - despite name, Hypocritical, Cow kickers!
keithpp
keithpp

• non-vegetarian

disappointed

2 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2008

A friend and I ate here summer 2007.

The only reason we ate here was because it was mentioned in the Rough Guide to England, but never again.

We were very disappointed. The food was awful, the service poor. And why the stupid cow names for everything?

There are far better places to eat in the North Laine area of Brighton.

Try Iydea or Infinity Foods Cafe (a little pricey).

Cons: awful food, poor service
cowclover246
cowclover246

loved it!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2008

i was indecisive about going to wai kika moo kau after reading the reviews, but i gave it a try. i went about 2.30 on a busy saturday. where i had to wait 15 minutes for a table, but i as kept fully informed about how long my table would be. i then had the 'kicking kau burger' which was absolutely delicious! it was vegan as well. for deserts i had the arm chocolate fudge cake with ice cram which as to die for!!!. i throughly recommend this place and would defiantly go again for the fantastic food and great service. Go try it!!!!

Pros: great service, amazing food, great value
tailspin
tailspin

Mmmm very odd

2 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2008

Having looked at all the reviews they range from really good to really really bad. This made me wonder? So I went along and thought to make up my own mind. I was really disapointed, very few vegan options (I went for breakfast but there where so few vegan options that I went back for lunch instead). I service was painfully slow and when asked which items where vegan the waitress didn't know (or seam to care) when my food did arrive it was warm, unapatising and expensive for what it was. I have been to worse veggie reserants but this has to be the worst in Brihton for vegans - very very disapointed. So this make me wonder if not all of the glowing reviews are real or as a result of the restrant trying to improve the rating... If you are veggie go along and give it a go, I you are vegan avoid AVOID.

Cons: poor value for money, poor choice for vegans , staff unhelpful
wobblyrabbit
wobblyrabbit

The place to be!

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2008

I went to Brighton recently with my boyfriend & happened across this fab cafe! The atmosphere was friendly & welcoming, the staff were lovely & very helpful & the food was delicious & satisfying! We went nearly every day of our stay & would recommend it to anyone! All I can say is....Go, go, go!!!

Pros: Yummy food, Friendly staff, Value for money
Cons: No cons!
Guest
Guest

Don't Go!

2 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2008

I have been to every veggie resterant in Brighton and Hove and this was the worst - poor service, non existant vegan food (was served tea with dairy - EVEN THOUGH had asked for soya twice!) - I have been here three times (I like to give a place a chance) in six months and this wasn't a one off - It happened each time! I would like to give it 1 cow - but Happy Cow wont allow me - Just stay away from this place!!!

Pros: NONE!
Cons: Poor Service, Lack Of Vegan Options, DONT GO!
Brighton Babe
Brighton Babe

Favourite Veggie Cafe!

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2007

Wai Kika Moo Kau, in the heart of the bustling North Laines is a Cafe that shows off the best of Brighton! Friendly, relaxed atmostphere and staff and a delicious fresh and creative menu for veggies - I always bring my visiting friends here! Long may it live!

timbucktoo
timbucktoo

Best Veggie Burger ever

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2007

Found this place by accident and need to tell you about it. Lovely friendly staff and typically laid back Brighton atmosphere. The food was great and great value. Had a sweet potato & Soya Cheeseburger which was ace. Also proper homemade cakes including vegan options. I will definitely return.

Pros: Great food, excellent variety, friendly staff
Cons: busy
elephant_man
elephant_man

Best Veggie in Brighton!

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

This is my third visit and I will keep coming back again and again. The menu is constantly fresh and changing with lots of new and interesting options to choose from. The latest menu is fantastic. Good classic dishes with a modern and funky twist. I went for the veggie cottage pie. Sounds quite tame on the surface, but the combination of interesting veggies and pulses was like nothing else Ive ever had. Certainly puts Linda McCartney to shame! Even after such a big hearty portion I decided I had to have one of their home made desserts. The chilli chocolate cake is definately one to try.
The atmosphere is great too. Laid back, chilled out and so friendly. The staff are great and there is a real buzz about the place. I have to dissagree with the previous message as my experience has been great - I will come back to the Kau again and again. Not just your average veggie food - highly reccomended!

Pros: Staff!, Choice, Atmosphere
annalisevineer
annalisevineer

Disappointing in the extreme!

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2007

I used to love going here and often ate there twice a week. One week, however, my sausage and mash turned out to only be veggie, not vegan, despite my double-checking. It was only after I'd eaten a mouthful that the waitress come rushing back. They took the meal away from me and replaced it a little later with the SAME mash and gravy (which had been microwaved and thus formed a skin) and 3 vegan sausages, however, when I bit into one of them it was still frozen. So I returned it again and they obviously just microwaved the whole lot as the plate was untouchably hot, the sausages had wilted and the gracy and mash had congealed. I only ate it because I was with a group of friends who had already finished their food by this time.
I thought they may have just been having a bad day, so tried them again. This time, the EXACT same thing happened to my sausages! Good job I can spot Quorn at a distance now! To make matters worse, my friend found glass in their salad. Really not good enough.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot

They kick moo calves though!

2 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

Had a soya cappuccino here a few years back (the most expensive one I've ever seen), but didn't order any food as absolutely all of it contained cheese! I've been told it started serving meat for a while but has now gone back to being veggie. Strange name though, for a place so into dairy products. Hopefully they're sorting this.

Pros: location
Cons: pricy, cheese in everything

Dear Owner and Manager of Wai Kika Moo Kau: