All-vegan variety boutique stocking a large variety of goods from vegan foods like cakes, sandwiches, frozen ready meals, and Cornish-style pasties to vegan shoes, pet snacks, books, and clothing. Has SSOV produces t-shirts, hoodies, bags, and accessories. This is also is the headquarters of the Secret Society Of Vegans. more-less
73 Caledonian Road (Kings Cross Station)
North London, England N1 9BT
020-78332315
OPEN NOW

Mon 11:00am-7:30pm, Tue-Sun 10:00am-6:30pm

First Review by Jemima
DJP
DJP

Awesome place for food in London

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2014

I discovered this shop/café with amazing vegan food and service on a work trip to London. The food was ace, it's really nice to find somewhere that isn't all vegan wholefood for a change. The staff were great too. Having travelled up from Cornwall, I was amazed that in busy London, they remembered me and my food allergies when I returned for a second visit.

I'll be back when I visit London again!!!

Anyaaa
Anyaaa

Vx

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

The shop was small, but it had a lot of different vegan food - cookies, chocolates, marshmallows, vegan "meats" and cheeses, ice cream and so on. We also ate our lunch there which was very tasty.

Stevie
Stevie

Vx, London

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

I went here yesterday. What a fabulous place.

Firstly there's a little cafe where they sell hot dog, quesadillas, kebabs, sandwiches. I had one of each either while I was there or later having ordered to take away. Each was great with my favourite probably being the hotdog.

There is also a small health food shop section where they sell food in a chiller, confectionery etc.

They sell clothing but most wonderfully for me is that they also sell vegan footwear. For the 1st time in 3 years I was able to try footwear rather than buying over the internet.

The people work there were friendly and welcoming. The place has a great slightly quirky vibe which I loved.

Pros: All vegan, Footwear sold among other things, Nice atmo
Cons: Not on every corner in the world sadly

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Fantastic selection of vegan junk food!

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

I always try and make a detour here whenever I visit London, not least because of the incredible range of vegan cheeses you find here which I haven't been able to get hold of at home in Scotland. They also stock a huge range of vegan chocolate and cereal bar type things! The staff are really lovely and friendly, with huge enthusiasm for their products and veganism in general.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

Pros: Lovely, friendly, enthusiastic staff, Great range of vegan junk food, Their vegan cheeses are amazing!
Cons: Quite a small shop
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Amazing range of vegan products and great food

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

There is such a cool range of products here - stuff I had never seen before. Amazing vegan cheese, sausages, biscuits, etc. We ordered some food too - a cheese and chorizo sausage toastie and nachos. Food was awesome, it's just a shame there is no longer a downstairs area to eat in. They put a table and chairs outside but it started to rain. We got some cupcakes too which were amazing, so many different flavours.

Pros: Great range, Good food
Cons: Not much seating
pefff
pefff

Great little shop!

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

Since going vegan last October I've been scouring the internet for new places to shop and I stumbled upon Vx. If you're going to make a trip down there and you're not sure what they sell, check out their website. The selection is huge, so huge in fact when I visited a couple of weeks ago I was really surprised to find the shop is a lot smaller than I expected! The guys at Vx are doing great things with the space they have available.

The best thing about Vx is the choice of CHEESE. Finding a vegan cheese that isn't horribly flabby and potato-y has been really difficult for me. I tried out the Jeezini cheese that they stock and I am in LOVE.

Huge selection of vegan "junk food" (yum), drinks, cheese, fake meats, clothing and shoes. They also sell Cat and the Cream cakes which are hands down some of the best vegan cakes around.

Staff were super friendly and helpful when I was in there so I'll be back for more cheese in the near future! :)

Pros: Great selection, Friendly staff, CHEESE
Cons: That it isn't closer to my house
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Worth a visit :)

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

Visited the store for the first time a couple weeks back.
It is small,so choices are limited- BUT, they had items we've not seen before in our local health stores and I think it's a great idea having snacks and clothes etc in the same place.
I've only been vegan for a few months so getting new ideas for shoes was certainly useful, as I'm yet to update my wardrobe!

The only (sort of?) down side is its isolated location; unless you're going nearby I guess you'd be making a trip here, JUST to go here. But I'd certainly go, just worth mentioning =) Plus the old Kings Cross building (which i've shamefully never seen before) is stunning so make sure you have a good look round when you come out the tube (if you use it of course).

The cat and the cream cake was delicious, and next time I'll be trying one of the sandwiches!!

Pros: All vegan, variety of items
Cons: isolated location, small selection
guraytezcan
guraytezcan

yes, it is worth!

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

friendly staff, open on sunday, variety of food from different countries you would hardly find elsewhere...

Pros: kind of everything we need, shelving is clear, not confusing, vegourmet and mortadella sausages!
Cons: small shop
annelie24
annelie24

vegan paradise

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

This shop is wonderful! The first thing I saw when I came in were all the chocolates! They have a great choice of cookies and bars and also savoury frozen food like quiches and vegan cheese. They also have incredibly good cake, I only tried the blueberry one, but will definitely be back soon to try the other cakes too!
Unfortunately it can be quite tricky to find leather-free shoes in high street shops, so coming to this shop was a really nice change. I went for Macbeth trainers, but they also have beautiful ballerinas.
I can definitely recommend this shop. The staff is really friendly and helpful too.

Pros: all vegan!, friendly staff, in central London
Veirs
Veirs

Finally visited VX

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

I've wanted to visit VX for ages and never got around to it everytime I was in London. I finally went a few days ago and was a bit disappointed. I am a big fan of the shop in general but the staff member working wasn't friendly and even when I tried to start a casual conversation they did not join in. Maybe I visited too early in the day but most of the food I bought was from Ms. Cupcake so I kind of thought I should have just gone there instead of trekking across London to VX. I just expected the staff to be a bit more approachable but maybe that is too much to ask.

Pros: nice food, good selection, unique products
Cons: unfriendly staff, unfriendly atmosphere, out of the way
  • Joloco Joloco

I agree with this review - the staff can be really miserable. It depends who you get I suppose, sometimes it's someone nice. But more often than not there's an awkward, quiet atmosphere. Lighten up, guys!

drubot
drubot

Great vegan shop!

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

I was thrilled to find a completely vegan store when I was in London this past weekend. Vx is fantastic! They've got lots of freshly baked and prepared food (I bought a lot of it and ate it over two days!) and many imported products from Germany and around the world. The woman who was working when I visited was very helpful and friendly, and even provided restaurant recommendations and directions for London AND Paris! Definitely stop by!

Pros: Great selection, Friendly staff, Easy to find
Cons: Didn't have my shoe size :(
SojaEichhoernchen
SojaEichhoernchen

Super cool!

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

Vx is the right place if you look for a shop to live your vegan style.
They have many clothes and information material. Also they have quite a lot of books and accessories like wallets and belts.
Also they have a huge variety of vegan candy (chocolate,cookies,ice-cream) and other foods (vegan sausages and cheese).
The service is very helpful and friendly.

if you are vegan and have a stay in london, you have to be there!

Pros: Lots of foods, Lots of clothes, Very nice service
GloomBaby
GloomBaby

Brilliant :)

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

Love stopping off here on my way to/from Kx to stock up on things that are really hard to find elsewhere or treat myself to wicked cupcakes etc.
Vx have introduced me to some great "cheese" and I love seeing the new things they stock!
Super helpful and friendly staff are a big plus (like saving me a cupcake when I frantically tweet them) and it's getting harder to resist the great selection of funky bags/wallets/shirts/shoes etc...

Pros: Great Range , Friendly staff , Convenient Location
Dula
Dula

Vx visit

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

I went there just to see how does vegan boutique looks like. All goods are quite pricey, but I came with vegan wurst and muffin out.

Blueberries
Blueberries

Small, but packed with vegan goodies!

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2011

I went to Vx on a recent weekend trip to London, and got some vegan goodies I can't get my hands on at home; some vital wheat gluten, a Hurraw chocolate lip balm, Primal strips and a white chocolate/macademia Luna bar, as well as some badges and a strawberry/chocolate cake! The guy working there was really nice and super helpful, good experience all round! It would have made my day if they stocked marshmallows! :P

Pros: Well stocked with hard-to-find items, All vegan!!!, Nice staff
Cons: Small
estefinparis
estefinparis

Vegan oreos!

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

Very close to King's Cross, Vx is a great stop to stock on decadent vegan cookies, Vegusto cheeses, Wheaty products and all sorts of vegan treats. Good selection of t-shirts, shoes, books etc. I have been here several times and have had mixed experiences with the staff (some friendly, some could have maybe tried smiling)

emzy1985
emzy1985

Last minute thought!

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

As my partner and I walked out of St Pancras station it dawned on me that we hadn't been to the new SSOV shop in Kings Cross. We took a five minute walk and found the shop very easily. There was plenty of goodies and clothes on offer and the staff were very friendly. We had some hot drinks and some awesome cupcakes. We also brought two t-shirts :D

Cons: A little expensive
LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Good stuff

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2010

Smaller than I anticipated but they still had a decent selection of vegan items. Wish I lived nearby, it sure would make getting vegan cat food easier! I bought a non-leather belt and delicious raw vegan truffles. The gentleman at the counter was helpful and friendly. Lucky London to have such a place.

Pros: good location, friendly staff, good value
Cons: small selection
CeriCow
CeriCow

Lots of potential - a little brusque

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2010

As mentioned in a previous comment I too probably expected a little too much from Vx but it's still great to see a 100% vegan shop anywhere especially one that does clothes as well as food.

I tried to make conversation with the guy behnd the counter by saying I'd been following them online and that I'd just been to Ms Cupcake in Brick Lane (I mentioned this because they also stock her cupcakes) to which he replied "we've got that here I don't know why anyone would go to Brick lane" he seemed annoyed and really didn't seem to want to talk at all which I thought was a little discourteous considering I was a new customer, I don't live in London and was on a mini vegan venue tour with my girlfreind and had come all the way from Dulwich to Vx. So I didn't bother talking anymore and we continued to look around with this seemingly annoyed man behind the counter.

Anyway I got a couple of snacks for the coach back to Cardiff and left. Had the staff been les rude and had we known there was a lounge part with drinks etc we may have stayed longer but we went to the pub instead.

I will most likely visit again but hope the staff are in a better mood next time. Please cheer up! :)

Pros: 100% vegan, nice clothes, nice shoes/trainers
Cons: negative atmosphere
V.
V.

Definitely Worth a Visit

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

I went to Vx for the first time today and the person at the store (R., the owner) was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I had a few questions about being vegan and he was able to provide me with the information which I sought.

It was good to see a store dedicated to selling vegan products since I do not know about any other stores which exist in the London area that exclusively sells vegan products. It was apparent that R. was passionate about veganism and his philosophy/enthusiasm about being 'vegan' was contagious and inspiring.

I was trying to stop consuming milk but I did not like soy milk, rice milk, or oat milk because I did not like their consistencies. I explained my preferences to R. and he provided me with a sample of Kara (coconut based milk) which I love. In no way did he try to 'convert' me nor was he judgmental in any way when I was asking him questions.

I purchased some kara and then ordered a shake. The shake was delicious (I purchased the trio cookie/mint one).

I have now decided to stop drinking milk. I do not think that I would have made this decision if R. had not provided me with the information and taken the time to give me a sample of the Kara milk.

There was quite a good selection of vegan sweets & food available for sale in the shop along with various clothing, badges, patches, shoes, condoms, plastic cupcake protectors, etc. There are sofas downstairs where you can sit and drink/eat.

I was informed that Vx was holding a cake event tomorrow (Sun., 4 July 2010) and there are other community based events which are also held in the shop.

Overall it is a place worth visiting if you are interested in veganism and you want to support businesses which promote the vegan lifestyle.

Pros: independent business, good vegan products, friendly/knowledgeable staff
Cons: there is only one Vx - should be more!, prop mask on display not for sale, no hot food available for purchase
  • rudee rudee

Thanks for the nice review! It was nice to meet you. Glad to hear that I could be of a help!

LoopDeeLou
LoopDeeLou

Good leisurely shop

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

Me and my three year old daughter popped into Vx on a horribly sticky and hot afternoon and were glad to be met by the air conditioned and proverbial cool of Vx.
Vx is not hard to miss, which is a good thing as its not something I would recommend missing out on- it has a vast array of vegan-friendly foodstuffs lining its shelves and fridges, including hallowed hard-to-find vegan junk food! yay! We loved the chocolate fudge-filled trios we picked up. The pricing was fair and nothing to complain about.
Vx allows has an array of non-leather but not hippyish footwear and a good selection of tops, hoodies, hats, patches and stickers to choose from. The man behind the counter was friendly and happy to give impartial advice but also let us peruse at our leisure.
Vx also has a downstairs area where you can enjoy a tasty vegan hot drink or two, also in which it holds it games nights and cake swaps (dying to get down to the next one! yum!)
Overall an enjoyable shopping experience and I for one, will definitely be going again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good stock, Vegan-friendly!
Cons: Bit of a walk away, Premises not disabled-friendly
charliep
charliep

Great for cake

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

Delicious homemade sweet things to eat and drink and great vegan shoes and groceries. All they need are fresh homemade sandwiches/salads and it'll be London's perfect vegan place. It needs supporting as it grows. Go eat cake and drink crazy milkshake

thanks for the review!
    We are now selling fresh sandwiches and wraps! Including bean burritos and mock-duck wraps! We are also carrying the vegan sandwiches made by "Fresh!".

lysi
lysi

An alternative point of view

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2010

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to see a purely vegan shop near Kings Cross and I did visit just a few weeks after the shop opened, I liked the selection of 'junk food', you know cookies, chocolates and those kind of products that make terribly nice treats but that's all they are - nice treats. While I'm prepared to pay a little extra and treat myself ever now and again, it will probably remain a special occasion. To be fair, I probably went along with too high expectations. I'd never seen the stall in Camden and after visiting the website, I was under the impression that I would find a fridge full with freshly baked cakes, vegan cheeses and the like and dozens of shoes to try on...but being a new and relatively small shop, I suppose that kind of large inventory isn't really feasible.
One thing I do want to call out though is the value and the great taste of the "chicken" burger and nuggets. Sadly, they didn't have any nutritional values or ingredients listed but since I don't suffer any allergies, I bought a pack of the burgers and have to say they were delicious and good value too. My conclusion: it's definitely worth a visit if you are in the area but manage your expectations and don't expect a vast array sprawled out across 2 floors.

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Unusual cookies and treats, Friendly staff
Cons: Bit too pricey, Range not as big as the website suggests, No nutritional info on some products
  • rudee rudee

We've been open since February 2010 and there are more stuff we're planning to do. Like having a real pastry fridge and add some new shelvings and racks to be able to add more shoes & clothes to the shop.

In the few months we have been open, we have managed to keep things exciting for our customers by constantly adding each week some new exciting items to the shop (doughnuts, profiteroles, jelly beans, new t-shirts).
    We have also improved the deco and added here and there some cool posters/furnitures.
    We have also organised a bunch of events (Cake Swap, Game Night).
    I am so proud of Vx. There's nothing similar in the UK.

ONE THING: "it's definitely worth a visit if you are in the area but manage your expectations and don't expect a vast array sprawled out across 2 floors." - THERE'S A WHOLEFOODS STORE IN KENSINGTON IF YOU LIKE FLOORS.

• lysi lysi

Thanks for the response Ruppee. Sounds like you are doing a lot of great things. Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely come again as I like the shop (or I wouldn't have given 3 out of 5) and have more realistic expectations now. Particularly interested in the savoury food items - the burgers were delicious and I think you might have added some more items by the sound of other comments. I did like the sweet treats that I bought also but since I can't restrain myself when it comes to sweets in the house, I'd rather stick to buying "everyday" food items. Seems like the weekend opening times have been extended, which is also great. Lysi

hermey
hermey

Must visit!

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

This place is not only a vegan haven, but sells some of the yummiest cakes and baked goods you can find (regardless of whether you are meat-eater/vegetarian/vegan). The staff is friendly and you're free to browse and chill out in the lounge downstairs or get help/advice/recommendations should you want it.

I like to go in a shop and not feel hassled but feel like I can ask for help should I require it. I've visited Vx about 4 times now on my own and also with a non-vegan friend and have been really happy with the service and products everytime. My meat eating friend loved the whoopies and her coffee.

My only down point is that I can never decide what to have because it all looks (and tastes) so yummy! Luckily, the staff are good at helping with that - or I buy one of everything and have it over a few days!

Good selection of shoes and clothes, too!

What more can i say; go see for yourself.

Pros: great products, very friendly, good portions
bryzee86
bryzee86

Great, centrally-located fully-vegan shop

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

I'll keep it short and simple:
- 100% vegan
- fresh cakes, sandwiches and salads
- plenty of vegan junk food (nutty chews being a BIG favourite with me)
- friendly staff
- soft drinks, soyshakes and hot drinks (plus a lounge to enjoy them in)
- the chance to meet an amazingly shy little dog
- ssov and other merchandise, shoes, books
- frozen burgers, nuggets, ready meals and sorbets.

Seriously, guys. It doesn't get much better than this.

Pros: central, fully-vegan, great selection
J Robertson
J Robertson

VCross - Thameslink exit from KCross, go north

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2010

About 100 yards up Caledonian Road, a grey cafe and shop on the left with punky graphics in the window. If you're visiting London, Caledonian Rd is two blocks east of Kings Cross main station, which is left out of the main exit.

What strikes me as odd about this place is that it was a bit too clean, but, hey: that's practical for food. Maybe it's just a sign of being organised.

To declare an interest, I was there to sell them shoes so you won't be surprised that I recommend squidgeing the sole of the Bouncing Boots and feeling the thickness of the Welfare State cloth top boots (like Plutoniums or whatever they used to be called). Um. And non-breathable rain proof jackets made in London. If this could register as a fair trade shop and score points for working conditions, this would out-score any existing fair trade shop but it's just a vegan one selling things that happen to be made in Europe. And they sell a selection from different vegan supplier's stuff and generally you can touch it and try it on before buying which is close to unique in London (exceptions: BBoheme let you visit and Natural Shoe Store just sometimes stock a single Veggie Shoes style if you're lucky).

As for the food, some of it's quite camp & relaxed cafe stuff. Sometimes a little dog called coco visits. For anyone who is scared of the dagger graphics on the huge range of Secret Society of Vegans gear, it's good to see cup cakes and a little dog living alongside.

Nearby shops are an ethiopian restaurant, two gay clubs of the low-lights kind (directories in the basement entrance to Central Station pub, off Wharfdale Road) and a gay pub: Central Station. Housemans "radical bookshop since 1945" is on the same street and I think a backpacker hostel almost opposite. Tony's hemp corner sells Khat and Hemp products but didn't buy my shoes. Near the corner with Northdown Street is a wonderful straight pub, the King Charles 1st. If you've ever stuck near Kings Cross waiting for a Eurostar or an appointment selling shoes, this is a great place to hang out.

Pros: central location, mix: cafe + products, vegan cat food
Cons: new; not all stock is in yet, a bit too nice & clean, central location
Jemima
Jemima

Some biscuits,think it sells other stuff primarily

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

Small stall in the Camden Market Hall. It is in a corner if that helps.

Food wise there are a few packets of biscuits and some Lara bars. The rest is clothing with punk? art with references to veganism and some other miscellaneous items such as condoms.

The person there when I went was fine.

Prices are fine I guess. I didn't check too much as wasn't in the market for it.

Food is a sideline here, the primary business is t-shirts/ promoting veganism and maybe other some other aspects of veganism I think.
They seem to have quite a big presence on the internet. Bigger than their Camden stall would indicate at least.

Pros: Biscuits if you like the ones they have
Cons: limited food
  • rudee rudee

this is a review for the old and now closed Secret Society Of Vegans stall in Camden Town... Why is it here under Vx?

Dear Owner and Manager of Vx: