Vegetarian cafe. See website for hours and more info. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Buffet, German
Lammstraße 7a, Rathauspassage
Karlsruhe, Germany 76133
0721-23293

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by RachelLouise
Plantpower
Plantpower

Very nice buffet food, lots of vegan options

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2016

I really enjoyed the food at Viva. The vegan selection was well marked and abundant, and I found the prices reasonable (I was there in the evening and heard it was cheaper then, towards the end of the day?). They had a big selection of buffet items, which you could mix - from individual salad ingredients to antipasti, spring rolls, ready-made salads, warm dishes, and desserts. You can put all you want on your plate und pay per weight of the food.

I enjoyed the taste and quality of the food. Maybe it was just the evening we were there, but people were rather quiet and the atmosphere pretty cold (which didn't bother us, as we were lively enough :-) ).

The only thing that bothered me as a vegan was that you could tell that non-vegan customers used tongs from the feta in the vegan antipasti dishes.

Pros: yummy food, healthy options, good selection
Cons: Not a cozy atmosphere
Julia Harder
Julia Harder

Wonderful for salad lovers

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2015

The reason I love this vegetarian self-service restaurant so much, is their big salad bar with many vegan salads. I really like that they do not only have typical salads like lettuce, carrot or tomato salad, but also special combinations. For example, I had a Spanish potato salad, a mexican salad with kidney beans and corn, a couscous salad and many more. I have rarely been to another restaurant which offers around 15 different vegan salads. And the good thing is, you choose which salad you want (the plate gets weighed at the counter).

Sadly, the hot vegan dishes did not satisfy me as much as the cold options. Some were delicious, some were vegetarian and others lacked flavor.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 06, 2015

Pros: Big salad bar with many vegan options, delicious juices
Cons: hot meals either vegetarian, or lacking flavor
pvlnglv
pvlnglv

Nice cantina

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2015

a bit difficult for people who don't understand German to figure out what's in some of the dishes but is overall good. a bit lacking in atmosphere. okay prices considering the location - I filled my plate with food and paid 8 euro

Pros: lots of vegetarian options
Cons: no clear vegan labeling

MeiMeiMei
MeiMeiMei

Bland food, not many hot vegan options

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2015

They have a largish selection of bland-ish vegan salads. It was really disappointing to find out how many of the hot dishes contained milk. The hot vegan option was tasteless, overcooked pasta tossed with some veg + tomato sauce. The other hot dishes could have been so easily veganised by replacing milk with plant based milk. I would only go again if I wanted to grab something from the buffet in a hurry. Also a big minus was that they charge 0.95€ for a glass of water from the tank.

Cons: Most hot foods contain cow milk, Atmospehre (or the lack of it), Bland food
martie
martie

large choice of vegan options

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

I totally disagree with the last review, I was there a few days ago and there were many vegan options (more than the ones listed on their website). I found the food tasty and the price was ok (12,50 € for a starter (there was a large selection of vegan salads and antipasti), a main course and a piece of vegan cake).

Updated from previous review on Thursday February 06, 2014

Pros: vegan items labeled, large choice, tasty
ChristianaHasldorf
ChristianaHasldorf

Not for me

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

Too little vegan options, expensive. You have to weigh your plate. It is somehow like a mensa or cantine, lots of lonely elderly vegetarians around which adds to a peculiar atmosphere. Additionally, the vegan food I had, was not tasty. I was there 2 or 3 times, then I gave up.

Cons: Too little vegan options, expensive, no good atmosphere
zazablack
zazablack

buffet-style resto, vegan items clearly marked

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

A buffet-style restaurant, not very expensive (at least not to my (Belgian) standards :) ). The great thing is you can choose for yourself what you put on your plate. There's a little card with every food that states the ingredients and whether is vegan, contains glutens, ...
The food tasted okay, but nothing special.

bhukit-tima
bhukit-tima

Nice but a bit pricey

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

As the other reviewers stated it's a cafeteria style buffet restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. They have a lot of vegetarian and clearly marked vegan cold and hot dishes. Extensive salad and antipasti buffet.
Most of the ingredients are organic and they are very transparent about their suppliers.
There is also a large selection of drinks, deserts and pastry.

You pay by weight which can become a bit pricey if you go for a full lunch or dinner with salad, main dishes and dessert. We ended up paying about 15 EUR per person and did really not load our dishes.

As you have to pay by weight you either take all courses right from the start (to line up at the check out only once), but then your main course might get cold while enjoying the salads and antipasti. They do however offer some plastic covers for the plates to keep it warm.
Else, you go back to the buffet but then you have to queue and pay again.

This - combined with the cafeteria style atmosphere - makes it a little bit uncomfortable. It's ok for a nice lunch but do not expect a great dinner atmosphere.

All the different food we had was very tasty and good.

Pros: central city location, choice, taste
Cons: a bit pricey
unwesen
unwesen

Good food, no gourmet dining

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2010

ViVA was our regular eating out place while living in Karlsruhe. Like other reviewers have noted, it's a buffet-style restaurant.

I've got three things to add to the other reviews:

1. Food used to be cheaper after 18.00h or so - but the selection goes down as well. They obviously want to encourage people to "eat up", as it were, rather than producing and then throwing away huge quantities of food. I don't know if they're still doing this, as I can't see anything on the website.

But knowing this can help offset the otherwise slightly high price point (high for what is offered, not for food in general).

2. It's good food, but foodies beware, you can make similarly good food at home very easily. Expect good, simple dishes, not gourmet experiences. Given that, the price point is slightly on the high side.

3. You pay by the weight of the food you put on your dish. It's up to you how much you pay :)

Pros: priced by weight, good vegan options
Cons: price, nice food, but not outstanding
Loulou
Loulou
  • raw

yummy burgers

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

As the other reviewer said, this is a buffet restaurant where you pay by weight. There where plenty of salads and antipasti on offer and also hot meals which changed by the day (the specials for the week are on the website) and you could help yourself to as little or as much hot food as you wished. Vegan options where clearly marked. There were also plenty of juices (I had a power one which was so refreshing) and organic wine and beer. They also do a 'lunch box' stall outside the restaurant at lunchtime with burgers, ciabattas, soups etc. When we arrived at the restaurant around 3pm the 'lunchbox' was closed but there were some leftover burgers in buns going cheap, so we took some for later that evening and they where yummy.

Pros: yummy burgers, changing menu, lots of choice
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Large and delicious buffet

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2008

ViVA is a buffet-style restaurant, where you pay by weight. The selection is large, and everything I tried was very good. They have hot and cold dishes, as well as complex and simple dishes. All the vegan items are clearly labeled, and the vegan selection was very good. They even had 2 vegan desserts. There is also a good selection of juices and other drinks. The prices were reasonable, too, and the atmosphere was friendly. There is a large dining area, as well as some outdoor tables.

Pros: Large selection, Tasty, Vegan items labeled

Dear Owner and Manager of ViVA: