Vegetarian restaurant in Siem Reap owned by a young Khmer couple. Has a basic vegetarian food menu. Can accommodate group seating. Also operates a stall at the Siem Reap food court. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Khmer, Cambodian
Street 7 Makara, Wat Bo Village (opposite Angkor High School)
Siem Reap, Cambodia

beancurdled
beancurdled

go for the atmosphere

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2014

My partner and I spent 10 days in Siem Reap this year and Vitking House become one of our favourite spots to eat, especially in the cool of the evening. It's lovely and quiet but the atmosphere is still warm and generous. A few wooden decks with ceilings and open sides with low tables are always quite full of local students. Sprinklers spray the garden and, as a double bonus, keep the air cool and the mosquitos at bay. I'm surprised people have described it as "out of the way". Sure, it's not on Pub Street but it's 10 min max by bike from the central market. If you staying in Siem Reap and you don't hire a bicycle, seriously, what are you doing?!

The waitstaff are all very young and really friendly. They speak very limited to no English but there are English translations on the menu. As well as Khmer dishes, they offer Western food like burgers and sandwiches but we steered clear of that stuff coz it looked a bit sad. Everything we had was tasty and well balanced with plenty of fresh veggies but nothing to write home about. Some dishes bordered on bland but, then again, Khmer food isn't heavily spiced. It's easy to over order and over eat because everything is so cheap. They have an amazing selection of shakes, including pumpkin and taro but we weren't able to get them made vegan.

Pros: relaxing spot, diverse menu
Cons: little English spoken (although I hesitate to list
Berylvt
Berylvt

Vitking - good vegetarian

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

Good mushroom protein skewers, hot dishes sizzling on hot trays. Limited vegan options, but there were some. Good prices. Nice ambiance. I would go again.

Pros: clean. good ambiance. good pricing.
Cons: limited vegan options. , some menu items not available.
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Tasty and cheap

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

We ate here twice on a recent visit to Siem Reap. We tried the garlic noodles, spring rolls (with some delicious fake pork filling), noodle soup, and steamed dumplings. We didn't see egg in anything. As far as I could tell, it was all vegan and very tasty. The bill each time was only about 8 US dollars for two of us. The outdoor seating is quite nice and they provide take-out as well. We were hoping to see more "fake meat" items on the menu, but otherwise we were very pleased and would highly recommend this place. It's a little out of the way from the typical Pub St locations, but well worth it.

Pros: Nice outdoor seating, Cheap, Tasty
Cons: Limited selection
  • Crizy Crizy

I.m.h.o. the menu is extensive; there is salads, soups, fried rice, sandwiches, many veggie dishes, shakes, and lately they have added "meat" steack and also a little spicy kimtchy soup (Korean plate).

cmor15
cmor15

great for vegetarians. difficult for vegans

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2012

I've eaten here like 10 times while in siem reap.

Pros:
Its away from all the tourists
Its a good environment qith lota of room
Heavily staffed, like 20 people working, even people that park and lock your motorbike
Inexpensive. Each diah is from $1-$2
Everyone is very friendly

CONS:
If youre vegan its difficult to make changes to order items on the menu. For example, I tries to get tofu instead of egg on a sandwich and they said NO. I said ask the chef and he said no and so did the cashier. Then I offered them $100 if they could put tofu or even just no egg at all, they discussed it and then refused. Also, I tried getting soy sauce instead of oyater sauce and they said it was impossible. Also I askes for no mayo, even showed him 4 pixtures I made with mayo with X on it and it still came with mayo.

Pros: friendly staff, rather inexpenaive, good location (away from tourists)
Cons: impossible to change from vegan to vegetarian
nipakolow
nipakolow

Delicious and cheapest

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

During my short stay in Siem Reap from Jan 5 to 10, 2012, I tried all the vegetarian restaurants (According to Happy Cow, only three full vegetarian restaurants)in Siem Reap and found out that Vitking House serves the most delicious and cheapest vegetarian foods. My family and I ordered four dishes of food plus rice and they only cost us less than USD7.5 The environment there is quiet, easy to find, just slidely opposite Angkor High School and just bedise a university.

Pros: cheap, delicious, good environment
kuopiolainen
kuopiolainen

Atmospheric local place

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2011

This is a very lovely place with a few bungalows around a small garden. Friendly staff didn't speak too much english, but picture menu helped ordering.

Portions were whether decent sized or a bit small: we ordered hot plates which were very good and our friends tried some kind of fried rice omelette, which was good too but a bit small in our opinion.

Prices were low, our portions were 5500 and 6000 riels = about 1,3 USD and 1,5 USD, (soft) drinks were about as much as the food.

The staff mixed the orders a few times; twice they brought us something we hadn't ordered, and half of the fruit shakes (2 out of 4) were different flavour that we had ordered; maybe they didn't have grape fruit...

There were a few mosquitos, it didn't bother me but they were biting my friend.

The place seemed to be popular among young Cambodians from wealthier families, and we didn't see any other tourists there. The atmosphere was great and the overall experience was very good too, I would go there again.

The location is ok too, we walked there from the Old Market. It could be closer, but at least it's not a touristic place :)

Pros: atmosphere, cheap food, local
Cons: mix ups
Syabas
Syabas

Lovely garden restaurant

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

This restaurant is located next to the University of South East Asia & opposite of the Angkor High School. If come from Old Market, cross the river & there is a small roundabout, there is 5 access ways, just take the 11 o'clock way & go straight, about 1km & it's on your left.
Very nice garden decorated, few chalets, big parking, food is delicious & price is reasonable.
For Siem Reap, I would recommend here.
For Battambang, I would recommend "Mercy Cafe"
For Phnom Penh, I would highly recommend "The Vegetarian" at #11, Street 200.

hardcoder
hardcoder

Cool, local vibe

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2011

We really enjoyed Vitking. It's definitely more local - prices are actually in riel! The setting is really cool. Most of the seating is in little bungalows and you sit on cushions on the floor. It's quaint and atmospheric. It also means you are fair game for the squadrons of mosquitoes here (they ain't vegan).

The food was pretty good, and yes, get the mushroom skewers, they are goo-ood! The burgers aren't bad, and the khmer food is nice. I don't agree with the other reviewers on the portion sizes - everything I ordered was the size I would expect in Cambodia, and I was hungry after both of my meals there. But cheap - yes it is!

Not especially vegan, but enough of the staff speak decent English, so you can discuss with them. Also the staff like to socialize, so getting there attention can be variable.

It is on the same road as "The Backpacker Hostel" and "Siem Reap Hostel" - so if you can find those, it's just a little further down the road. Or if you cross the river from the Old Market, you will get to a roundabout with a confusing sign for Street 7 Makara - it doesn't really point in any direction :) Hold up your left palm. Each finger corresponds to a street from the roundabout (thumb is the river i guess!) follow your middle finger! It's a busy enough road. The restaurant is right next to "South East Asia University" and has two golden tigers at the gates. Look in, you will see the bungalows.

Pros: Local, Cheap, Tasty
Cons: Terrible Music!, Mosquitos, Service
mikimiki25
mikimiki25

This should be your first veg stop in SR

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2010

It's located in an area of town with no tourists and the tuk tuk driver that finally passed (first place I wasn't hounded the second I stepped out the door) asked if i worked in SR because he didn't expect a tourist to be out that way. It's across from "ANGKOR HIGH SCHOOL," not Siem Reap HS as the other review mentioned (there is no "Siem Reap HS" apparently). No one has heard of this place, so get your hotel or tuk tuk driver to call the place first to get directions (I have no idea if the address noted on the listing is correct). This number worked 016 776 771. It's about a 5 minute tuk tuk drive away from the river. Actually, it was hard to find a driver to take me back to my hotel in the rain, so it may be worthwhile asking the guy who takes you there to come back for you or to call the number of one you've used before. It was raining and right around dinner time, so there were not a lot of available tuk tuks willing to stop for me (tho lots of moto guys). The food: The dumplings are great, the BBQ great, the drinks great. The recommended by the waitress hot plate noodles, not so great. Oh well. Definitely not vegan, but deliciously (and CHEAPLY) vegetarian. Compared to chakram (sp?), this place is half the price for twice the food--so really a quarter of the price. This should be your first stop in SR for veg food. Also the Ivy 2 Guesthouse and REstaurant serves veg food (not listed on happy cow, but should be).

Pros: friendly staff, great food, GREAT prices
Cons: out of the center a bit, no one's heard of it
enRoute
enRoute

Open and doing well

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2009

I took a trip out to this place after finding a write up on it and it's worth seeking out. Few drivers know where it is, just ask for "Siem Reap High School" and it's right in front. It's a large property with bungalows and a little garden, and further seating and the kitchen in back. Little English spoken but they're super-friendly it's not too tough to communicate with a bit of effort, most of the menu is in English. Fantastic teas, lots of Taiwanese veggie meats (some do have egg in them, keep an eye out), tasty dumplings, rice and tofu, and a fun atmosphere. I was the only foreigner there when I went three times, mostly other young clientele from nearby schools... probably the reason for the ultra-pop musical selections!

Pros: Lots of space, Veggie meats you won't find elsewhere, Cheap
Cons: Hard to find, Little English spoken
  • geckobranko geckobranko

The best veggie-resto in town. Cheap, great service, a big menu and a lovely, relaxy garden-deco. The only minus is the location. It's a 15 min walk from towm... but it's worth it!

Dear Owner and Manager of Vitking House: