Re-opened Nov 2013 after brief closure. May also use the name Vantra. Vegan organic cafe offering a buffet of salads and hot dishes, or choose from the extensive menu. Vegetarian, vegan, and raw food. They now charge by weight of food taken from buffet. Moved from 74 Wardour St, Soho. Note: Vitao London has now teamed up with Vantra London Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, British, Raw, Buffet, Juice bar
25-27 Oxford St
London, England W1F 0TE
020-77348986

Open Mon-Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-9pm.

• Cash only

First Review by daisyduke
Kyttiara
Kyttiara

Pricey but SO good!

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

We went there on our last night in London and I wasn't disappointed at all.
The Menu is clearly explained, but careful, they don't always have everything. My advice? If there is a buffet, go for it! It's a pay-by-weight selfservice, pretty expensive but SO DAMN GOOD! Everything was vegan and almost everything was glutenfree. I ate so much I couldn't budge anymore!! The food is absolutely divinely cooked. Just go for it!!!
Plus: On the menu: you have lots of allergies description and they explain very well the concept etc. love it!

Pros: raw food, GF, great care of allergies, food is perfectly cooked (indian side), great loc
Cons: expensive
Anyaaa
Anyaaa

Vantra Vitao

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Out of all the restaurants, we liked Vantra Vitao best. The food selection is awesome and you can mix different foods on your plate, so I tried almost everything and I couldn`t believe that every dish had so much taste in it, it was amazing. I could eat there every day. They also have a lot of treats (mostly raw) and different smoothies and juices. Also the ambience was very pleasant.

Pros: Inexpensive , very tasty food
szeevster
szeevster

Vantra Vitao - ultimate healthy

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

Looking for raw, non-gluten, organic, no sugar added, no night shades, no GMO, etc etc etc? Vantra Vitao is for you. Not all the offerings meet all of these criteria, but all are vegan, organic and healthy. Oh, they are also quite flavorful. Vantra has a primo location on Oxford St in the West End part of central London. The tables are not immediately visible from the street, but once inside, the decor is stylish and attractive, the ambience pleasant with interesting to excellent. Food is purchased both traditionally via menu and server or via a buffet by weight. We chose the former and ordered one main course called Oasis which featured a wrap made from flax and sesame seeds and avocado, surrounding diced cucumbers, squash humous and brazil nut falafel. I also ordered steamed rice, which I flavored with their 'sauces' provided free if requested. These were highly seasoned olive oil with black beans, lemon or red pepper. My partner ordered Super Green something or other, consisting of zuchini halves atop green beans and stuffed with a basil sauce and covered by broccoli, asparagus and a few black beans. Both meals were quite good. Portions are appropriate. Not overly large or insufficient. The main dishes were each about 13 GBP. I also ordered a smoothie made from orange, ginger and other things which was a bit disappointing, I must admit. Our server, a 20-something local woman of Indian descent was helpful without hovering., and others there were extremely nice and helpful as well - I arrived in a wheelchair and with their help, I managed well.

Pros: Healthy food for every need, Imaginative offerings, Great location, great staff
Cons: A bit pricey, Good not great flavors

vegan_mum
vegan_mum

wonderful perfectly spiced vegan buffet & takeaway

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

A mere two minutes' walk from Tottenham Court tube station, this mellow little restaurant has terrific organic vegan food for fair prices. (They even show you a comparison of their prices vs local competitors including Ottolenghi and Tibits, and they cost the least at £1.80 for 100g of delicious food.) We got the huge metal plates and filled them up, then paid by weight (mine was £10). I loved everything. The mashed potatoes had a lovely horseradish flavor without being overly spicy. Other flavors included saffron and cardamom. Excellent lentils and chickpeas. The salad was very lightly dressed. We splurged on a raw almond block which was dense and chocolatey with lucuma, coconut and carob. Friendly staff.

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Fair prices
Tiggy
Tiggy

Ethical food, decent buffet and nice smoothies

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

My partner and I have been here a couple of times during our London visit, once for a quick snack and once for lunch with a local friend. I think the buffet is good for the price. I had the chance to sample a good number that looked appetising: mushroom and radish stroganoff, red pepper moussaka, chickpea curry, and a couple of other spicy dishes. Some were better than others but all OK for a buffet. I tried the Berry Blue smoothie (£2) and it was rich and fruity with plenty of body and so I had it again when I went back. The counter area is a bit of a bottleneck and can get a little cramped if there are other people queuing. The ethical and environmental practices espoused by this place are another attractive quality that would make this a regular spot for me.

Pros: Vegan and ethical, Delicious smoothies
Cons: Cramped around counter when ordering
nojvegan
nojvegan

happy vegan

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

We arrived a bit late in London and weren't sure exactly where the place was. I thought it would be off |Oxford St. but it is right bank on Oxford St. (Tottenham Ct. rd. end) so saw it from the bus. Very dark and no open sign so we thought it was closed but tried door and it was open (about 10:30pm.) Had a nice meal , Friendly unobtrusive staff. Menu a bit of a muddle. No idea what I ate but was delicious and filling as was the other party.
Will go again . Believe they are expanding.

Pros: great location, staf helpful (water topped up), Yummy
Pamina
Pamina

Very good restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2014

The all vegan buffet consisted of several salads, vegetable mixes, baked and fried food, mushrooms and several sauces, a lot of it Asian meals from different countries. I must say, though, that I liked several kinds a lot and others not so much - some of it was a little tasteless. However, I really liked the style of the interior.
I think it is a bit expensive, but considering that a lot of it is raw food, it's justified.

Pros: All vegan buffet, Great interior, Raw food
Cons: Maybe a bit expensive
Ajolote
Ajolote

it is now called "Vantra" and relocated

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2014

This place is right next to the Tottenham Court Rd Underground. If you are planning to have dinner here, make a reservation or arrive before 6 pm. Cash only!

The lunch buffet has a large variety of foods and dinner is a la carte unless they have leftovers from the lunch buffet. I ordered the raw nachos - three little scoops of of toppings (one guacamole, one tomato and one pineapple). The green chips were tasty and the topics were ok, but I was expecting something cheesy. I mean, they are nachos after all!

The lassies are made with coconut milk. The Wow Cacao is delicious and it tastes like dessert.

I ordered this fabulous raw dish called Oasis of the Sahara (I think). It is like three raw tacos. Yum!

Prices are decent for what you get - remember that raw food is always on the pricey side.

In an area with so many restaurant choices, they must be doing something right because they are always crowded.

Ezekiel
Ezekiel

Perhaps might've been different?

3 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

This is one of the few London restaurants which offers raw cooking, and this was the reason why, on our recent visit, we planned to visit the said restaurant. A table was duly reserved a few weeks in advance.

When we arrived, we were shown to what looked like a first available table. After we have studied the menus for a little while, we were informed that nothing from a la carte menu was available, and we could only have what was on offer in the buffet (which was not raw). As described elsewhere, you collect your own plate and pay by weight.

Something to keep in mind for your visit:
1) you have to pay cash, which is not a huge problem since there's a cash point just across the road
2) reserving a table doesn't seem to make a difference (e.g. guarantee a table)
3) if you are looking for a raw food dinner, make sure it is served on the night

Pros: Location, It's all vegan!
Cons: Disinterested stuff, Not a very nice atmosphere, Pricey side of moderate
elrujo
elrujo

GO THERE BEFORE U DIE

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

This is it!!!I mean this is the vegan place to go!!!
Amazing tasty and nutritious food.
Also great atmosphere and interior design.
This place is under my top 3 vegan places in Europe.
Go there you will love it.

Pros: amazing tasty and nutritious food, great relaxed vibe
Cons: variety can be bigger, sisters & brothers vitao have to exist
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Vantra/Vitao

3 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

Unless I am wildly off the mark here (as no one else has mentioned it) Vitao is now called Vantra where two restaurants merged and moved into one place on oxford street. It is a couple of doors down from Tottenham Court tube station.

It's a nice little place- cosy (if a little too cramped) and the buffet was pretty decent. Boyfriend got an iced coffee which was nice, and the staff seemed friendly even though it was busy lunch rush hour.

Downsides- the layout unfortunately does this place no favours.
The queue was out the door and we nearly left, when in fact there were plenty of free seats at the back, but due to the layout the front door is totally blocked by people paying for their food, and is a logistical nightmare. And they've put polished tiles on the floor- I slipped and nearly busted my neck. Having designed bathrooms for a living, I know polished floors is a foolish design error,especially in spaces like that with liquids.

Anyway, I'd go back and try some other stuff like juices and cakes etc because i'm not a massive buffet fan (and this one isn't cheap). I'd only go back if it was a quiet time of day too as I got knocked by people's bags on the head a few times whilst eating!

Pros: interior design (except flooring), friendly staff
Cons: cramped space, terrible layout, unsafe flooring
VeganNatasha
VeganNatasha

lovely

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

The set out is really nice and has
a nice atmosphere. The chocolate raspberry cake was devine and so was my smoothie.

JonJon
JonJon

Give it a try for their exotism

3 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Vitao offers an exotic food with a lots of flavour and spices. The food is of good quality but their buffet is not offered ad libitum which is relatively frustrating considering the price paid for only one plate. However their juices are good and fresh and the atmosphere is nice. Overall, this restaurant is relatively fair but not exceptionnal in comparison of others vegan/vegetarian restaurants of the area.

Pros: nice flavours, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: a bit pricey for the portion size, limited buffet
SeanScarangello
SeanScarangello

Good Spot

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

The food is pretty good, and if you spend at least £10 you get a free drink or soup. It's mostly a serve yourself style place but they have drinks to be made as well. It's per 100mg of food so I suggest bringing £20 if you go big, just to be sure you have enough. Nice restaurant setting, though some of the tables are a bit close together for comfort.. I kept knocking into tables going to/fro.

robz
robz

Highly recommended for consciously created food

5 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

I marked Winter Solstice with a visit to Vantra Vitao, at their new location on Oxford Street.

The new venue looks great, feeling like a wooded glade hideaway from the hustle and bustle of London's busiest street, and a bit bigger than their previous cafe in Soho, but with the same relaxed atmosphere.

The food format is the same, buffet on display for you to choose from and load onto your plate, but this time you pay by weight, rather than by plate size. There is a wide choice, with cooked and raw dishes, all expertly prepared, organic where possible but with no soya, no sugar, no harmful fats, but still full of taste, thanks to the owners extensive research into cooking techniques and ingredients. Some of the dishes are spicy, some are spice free, the staff can advise if you are unsure.

Those in the know would seen out their a la carte menu for another level of healthy innovation, but sadly, they are not quite ready to resume this service yet at their new venue (they've only been there 3 weeks) - but it should be in place soon after Christmas, along with some new offerings such as healthy wraps as an alternative to the buffet.

However, they did have a selection of their raw desserts, two raw "cheese" cakes and two raw chocolate cakes. And they still have a mind-boggling choice of drinks, hot, cold, nut mylk based, or fruit based, including "vocktails" - alcohol free mixes of healthy and exotic ingredients.

So, I opted for a buffet mix, a rich raw cacao dessert and a "Virgin Orjasm" vocktail on recommendation of the staff - a jasmine-based concoction that is cheekily meant to remind you of "that first-time excitement, in a drink". This came to just under £15, which when you consider the organic ingredients, the careful preparation, and, as it turns out, the amazing taste sensations, I thought this was good value.

The buffet was as I expected from previous visits, each selection taste-full and often with subtle flavours that keep you guessing as to the ingredients.

The raw cacao dessert was satisfyingly rich and sweet despite not containing any processed sugar, and served with a of portion of mixed berries in juice.

But for me the real star was the vocktail! I would normally have chosen a dark berry based drink, but was so glad I went with their recommendation. It really danced on my tongue with an exquisite mix of exotic flavours, better than any "real" cocktail I have tasted, despite me being a buff in a previous life. And this one was healthy

Pros: Friendly and relaxed, A pinnacle of healthy vegan food
Cons: I can't visit everyday
saramarshall
saramarshall

Delicious!

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

One of the best vegan buffets I have seen including 15-20 dishes to choose from: Thai red curry, creamy mushrooms, chickpea & tomato stew, dahl, noodles, broccoli, carrot salad, potato salad, rice, pumpkin, and every dish I tried tasted amazing and obviously had high quality ingredients. The only bad thing is you pay by weight so it can turn out pretty expensive and the heaviest foods aren't always the most expensive to put together. They have a huge menu of different juices and mocktails, one of which comes in a coconut shell. They have a cabinet of raw desserts. I tried the chocolate & raspberry cream pie. Delicious.

Pros: Food, Variety, Ingredients
Cons: Expensive
ColletteFarnol
ColletteFarnol

Great for lunch if your shopping on Oxford street

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

I've been here a handful of times when it was on Wardour Street. The lunch buffet is varied with many hot and cold options of noodles, rice, vegetables and sauces. In the summer the iced V creama lattes are the best with coconut nectar to sweeten it. For dinner there is a menu of many raw dishes, which are very flavourful, however can be small portions. The raw desserts are really delicious and rich, the ice creams and the mango cheesecake are the best.

Pros: Great lunch buffet, Delicious vegan raw desserts, Good selection of juices/ smoothies
Cons: Some dinner options are small, Along time to wait for food at dinner
Mulberry1345
Mulberry1345

Vitao

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Plutôt à réserver aux habitués de la cuisine végétalienne et crue.

Pros: Des plats originaux, Cadre agréable, Belle présentation des plats
Cons: Petites portions, Un peu cher (le soir), Il faut payer en espèces
vegan james
vegan james

Vegan food

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2013

The food is amazing and so is the price. A must visit when in London.

Pros: Vegan , Amazing value, Friendly staff
henj
henj

nice place, not amazing

3 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

we missed the lunch-buffet, and the evening menu is less attractive, the prices are not super-high, but the dishes are quite small in my opinion, and to order another one do makes the deal too expensive. the service was very slow. we ordered for dessert the mango-cheese cake and it was good. the bottom line - you could give it a try, but London is full with better places

Pros: nice atmosphere, special dishes, central
Cons: slow service, small dishes, not very cheap
MissPennyLane
MissPennyLane

a reggae style place with a great lunch buffet

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

a nice place for healthy smoothies, just a coffee or a great lunch buffett.
The buffett is inexpensive and you can pile your food on your paperplate as high as you dare. Very filling, tasty and healthy food.

Pros: healthy, tasty, inexpensive
gin_and_tonic
gin_and_tonic

Buffet style lunch

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

I went here at lunch time and found they didn't take cards. So after a trip to a cash machine, I tried again. Help yourself, but one visit is the way they do things at lunch. I had a large plate, which was paper, making it tricky to fill as it kept wanting to slide off.

The food is a mix of curries, stews, dahls. There was a good mushroom stroganoff type dish and some salads. There was rice and noodles with about a dozen or so dishes to choose from. The food was as one would expect from a buffet, good but it's not fine dining.

One complaint I have about this type of 'fill your plate' eating, is that everything becomes homogenized. Rather than having several tastes of dishes and being able to savour the flavours, it all becomes one. Perhaps I'm being too picky.

I had a citrus smoothy, which was freshly made, and was excellent. Worth a visit for this alone. There was mention of deserts on the boards, but I didn't see any.

The decor is sort of designer hippy trail. Its kinda compact and I would imagine that it gets packed out easily. Good for watching the world go by in this busy end of Soho.

Pros: good range, smoothies, vegan friendly
Cons: no labels on dishes or sauces
LauraStone90
LauraStone90

I don't think we've seen it all...

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

We've once been into Vitao, but at the time we went, they didn't seem to have a huge variety of foods. It was nice, but we're definitely going to go in again, and see what else is on offer. I think we had food from the 'help yourself' buffet. It was all nice, but I think they've got more on offer, at different times.

Miwa
Miwa

Taste was great but...

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2013

I was looking forward to eating at this restaurant. Taste was great and the price was not too high. I saw staffs are friendly. But I've been discriminated by a man who 's seated front of me, during my lunch, looking at me, saying to a staff " Jps (Japanese)disgusting, she ate so much fast...etc"
I was feeling sad during my lunch. And also the staff's listened to him and given nods... because of Japanese...? Are we hated..? I was thinking like that. But food was so tasty. How can we do.. just born in Japan. Just Japanese may be not welcomed..

madonnaragu
madonnaragu

Avoid!

2 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

I went there a few times a couple of years ago, and was not impressed with the food. I thought I'd try it again, thinking things would have changed.

Well, now the plates and the cutlery are paper and plastic. The buffet is quite hot, so it's rather difficult to hold the thin paper plate while scooping the food onto it. The table layout and the decor are uninspired.

All that can be forgiven if the food is good. Unfortunately, it's far from that. As the buffet is kept warm by gas burners, the food is basically cooking all day long. There were one or two dishes that tasted just OK, but the rest was inedible. Everything has a weird, almost moldy aftertaste to it. I had to go to Govinda's afterwards to fill my tummy.

I've given Vitao a few chances now, but it has let me down every single time I've been there. There are many awesome vegan restaurants in London, and this is not one of them. Try Saf, Veggie Vegan 222, Govinda's or Sagar instead.

Pros: Central, Affordable
Cons: Unpleasant food, Paper plates, Food cooks for hours
mintsprig
mintsprig

delicious, varied and wholesome

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

A great selection of beautifully prepared, wholesome, comfort food and fantastic atmosphere, like eating in a woodland goblins grotto. Extensive juice menu too. Significantly pricier than nearby competitors and quite dismissive staff, but otherwise highly recommendable.

Pros: atmosphere, nutrition based meals, great comfort food
Cons: quite pricey, dismissive staff
cocoholic
cocoholic

Creative little place

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

Vitao is located in the heart of Soho and easy to find. The restaurant is very small though and everything is a bit narrow inside. They have a nice buffet with cooked food and salads and they have a good choice of juices and smoothies. I didn't like you'll getting disposable plates for the buffet. I tried their raw mango cakes, which was just okay, because far too sweet for my taste and a bit pricey. But it looked very nice on the plate :-)

Pros: cute, creative location, reasonable pricing
Cons: very small inside
aphasia
aphasia

not organic!

3 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2013

If you're looking for a vegan/veg health food restaurant this place is great! HOWEVER despite saying they are organic in their listing here, on their menu, and having it painted on the window of the restaurant, in fact they use some organic staple ingredients (rice, tofu) but ALMOST NONE of the vegetables or fruits used for the dishes and juices are pesticide free, as they will tell you if they ask. I ate here many times before finding this out and felt really lied to! Go to SAF instead if you want organic health food.

Pros: cheapish lunch buffet, tasty, great with food exclusions/allergy stuff
Cons: misrepresentation, prices make sense only if organic food, not always the friendliest
frads
frads

Interesting food in a relaxed environment

3 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

My husband and I visited Vitao during our trip to London. As long-time vegans we were excited to try this well-reviewed restaurant. Upon arriving we were drawn to the look and coziness of the place but it was certainly crowded and difficult to relax with no place to put winter coats which left us sitting on them which was a bit uncomfortable since the tables are pretty low to the ground.

The selection of food was good though there was a particularly herb or spice they are very keen on using in just about every dish (one that is not particularly mild, perhaps ginger). It is buffet style and you may fill your plate once and the restaurant is cash only!

Pros: Cute Restaurant, Nice Vibe
Cons: Cash Only, Very Small Space, 'Interesting" Flavors
houtandhout
houtandhout

Great location, fun food

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

It's sort of like an outdoor food bar in the middle of a romantic spot in Vietnam.. only it's not.. and it's indoors in the West End

Pros: Tasty, Good Pricing, Friendly Management
Cons: Small, Small :), Small ;)
Evguy422
Evguy422

Really nice spot

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

Ate here while on vacation in London. It's in the heart of Soho, so a really cute and friendly area. Food was good. A bit tight on the seating, but everyone had enough room. All the options were vegan, which always puts me at ease since a lot of places that are vegetarian can have seemingly vegan options that have dairy or egg. I definitely would recommend it to people and since you only get one plate I'd recommend heaping as much as you can!

Pros: Good food, Central Location
Cons: Tight seating, Plate for food not that big
lovingmalaga
lovingmalaga

Does the buffet menu change everyday?

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

I went there once last year , and just few days ago I went again in the evening and it looked different from outside. They put up a buffet where you can see from the window outside. As I could remembered it wasn't a buffet before but now they have changed and the dishes didn't look inviting to me, maybe just my bad night? so I didn't go in and decide to give the other restaurant a try.

Anyways, I still give a good rating as I went in last year for the very first try with my family while in london, for the good experience and great menu they had.

Cecilia B.
Cecilia B.

Not sure

2 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

I've been there last week. For the first time in my life I didn't finish to eat the food in my plate. Everything was too spicy, big pieces of ginger or bad combinations of food. Maybe I chose the wrong day to go at Vitao.
But for a London lunch I have to admit it's pretty cheap.

Pros: Cheap
Longdrive
Longdrive

Vitao

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

Absolutely superb food and service. The very best that I ever ate. The only downsides being that one has to pay in cash as plastic is not accepted. The other being that their flyers give out their closed address. (Their open business is located at 74 Wardour St. Their closed business was located at 11-13 Soho St.) Nevertheless - top marks off me.

Gudrun
Gudrun

Thai Twist With A Green Juvenator

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2012

Not really being a raw food fan, I went to this restaurant for dinner after having a very sugary (and unhealthy) vegan cake elsewhere. I was really up to something healthy for a change. I had a raw dish called "Thai Twist" with papaya and carrot "noodles", mango, pineapple, tomato, chilli, basil and mixed seed crumble, and one of the super juices called "Green Rejuvenator". It was really delicious, and I felt much better after having this as well. I would love to come back and try some of the other dishes, like "Oasis of Sahara", "Lasagna Vivente", "Southern Volcano" or "Buddha Bliss", along with one of the many fresh juices from the juice bar. Of the 2 people of the staff one (the guy) was not very friendly, rather a bit harsh and grumpy, but the other one (the lady) was very nice and helpful. The place was quite crowded and I did not reserve, so I was lucky to get a seat. In general, laid-back atmosphere.

Pros: healthy food, excellent food, special dishes
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Super!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Bustling vegan cafe with delicious and healthy food. Lots of tasty and creative raw options. Fun and energetic atmosphere with friendly staff. We had the raw lasagne, a laksa, the raw wrap and for dessert the mango cheesecake and raw vegan ice cream. Everything was very impressive, tasty and you feel great afterwards. Love it!

Pros: Fully vegan, lots of raw, So delicious, Beautiful and creative food
MasonLegrange
MasonLegrange

Let down

2 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2012

I use to eat there nearly everyday cos I work in the neighbourhood and I loved it, no wheat, no sugar all vegan, it used to be all organic, they had tasty spelt noodles with creamy mushroom, seaweed lasagna, and amazing coleslaw, shepherds pie and Greek salad with kalamate olives and brazil nuts, amazing dressings, raw humous, but the owner keeps changing the menu and use cheaper ingredients and the last two years it really went downhill, there,s two many spices in the food which make it un eatable, food is watery too lemony, who wants to eat a hard rock steam spelt muffin? and none of the original dish are on display anymore, a serious let down

Pros: Juices, Smoothies, Seaweed salad
Aiden Shaw
Aiden Shaw

good value

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

wide selection of dishes. my advice go hungry & get refillable plate. price cheaper for lunch than dinner, but reasonable whenever. vegan sugar free deserts, fantastic. intimate, cozy, cool, and romantic with the right person. has a bohemian feel to it that many places aspire to but don't manage. . . . . & cool tables. jus sayin.

Pros: nice enviroment, friendly staff if yo catch the nice ones, intimate
Cons: the selection doesn't seem 2 change much, juices get expensive, nothing else
turion
turion

Worth a few visits

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

The food was spiced in a very interesting way.
However, there was not much salt in it (and I couldn't find a salt shaker), so people who aren't used to it might mistake the food for being bland.
Not all of the food is organic.
An all you can eat is 8.90, and there are a lot of choices, so it's really worth it. You can also take away food.
On a saturday evening, the restaurant can be completely full. I liked the atmosphere.
Staff is helpful.
The only real downside is: There are no regular plates and cutlery, just disposable ones. That really destroys a lot of the feeling and is also awkward to handle.
Some small bowls and plates and proper cutlery would be helpful.

Pros: cheap, spicy, nice atmosphere
Cons: disposable, no salt in food or on table
Dula
Dula

Excellent Restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

Vitao is very nice and friendly small lunch restaurant. Not too pricey, you can choose plate size and food from buffet. Very small with few places for sitting, but always some free. Food very tasty and delicous. Worth visiting!!!

Pros: tasty food, quite cheap, nice and confortable
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

50/50

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

I really like to support vegan places when I am out and about... this was an interesting experience.

My husband didn't enjoy it. He found the food bland and wondered how they could actually make organic food so tasteless. The dishes did seem either a little lacking in flavour OR flavoured with chilli.

I really like the fact that it was vegan, organic and near to the theatre that we visited on Saturday night.

The cost was £8.90 for all you can eat within an hour (which seems good for London).

They have a nice selection of herbal teas, including my favourite Pukka. They also have juices and desserts.

I can see why some would like it and others wouldn't. I didn't really feel inspired by the staff - it didn't feel as if they overly wanted to be there.

Pros: vegan, organic
Cons: unispiring flavours
SunFlowerChild
SunFlowerChild

Good except for chairs

4 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2011

Plenty of choice but salads were not very exciting. Been twice and enjoyed both meals. Another time I took a friend but she wouldn't stay as she has a bad back and the chairbacks give no support and the chairs are wobbly.

Pros: Choice, Price
Cons: Chairs, Cramped
alimac
alimac

Buffet lovliness

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I found this via Happy Cow's android app.. it was well worth it! Such a bewildering choice of lovely food, all freshly prepared and full of healthy goodness. I have never seen raw food desserts on a menu before. A lunchtime buffet of goodness. If I lived near here I would go all the time! Will definitely seek it out again.

Pros: healthy cake, vegan options, great choices
Cons: busy
pupa
pupa

Best Vegan Buffet

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2011

Small and cozy restaurant tugged in the heart of Soho. It was a bit hard to find but definitely worth the effort! I loved the worm and home feel of the place. The staff is very friendly fast and attentive. All the dishes are greatly displayed, so one can easily browse and fill up the plate! The food was delicious! Hands down the best all vegan buffet I have been to! Rich and flavorful, the theme is Middle Eastern, Moroccan and South Asia! Lots of curry and intense spices. Barely any mock-meets, which to me is always a breath of fresh "air" ( produce ).
I was really hoping for some raw choices but there were none! Though the guy behind the counter suggested me their other locating, which was not too far, but since I was there and everything smelled delicious I decided to stay, and did not regret it.
I also had an espresso drink, which was unmemorable, but I would still go back for the food, curious to see, what is new on the buffet line.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, inexpensive
gabynbrad
gabynbrad

A must if you're in central London!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

If you're into delicious food and a laid back atmosphere, then Vitao is the place for you. We ended up eating there 3 times. At one instance, we took our non-vegan friend with us. She was skeptical, but loved it so much that I think she will be back on her own. There is a wide variety of dishes and multiple flavours. If you go there for dinner, you pay £8.50 for the all you can eat buffet. It's a bargain really. The place is small, so be prepared to share a table or to wait until one is available. Totally recommend this restaurant!

Pros: Delicious, Big variety of dishes, Great value
Cons: Small place, The tables could be cleaner
KCW
KCW

Disappointing

2 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2011

I didn't really like any of the dishes that much, and I'm not that hard to please. I could have made much better food at home. This place is pretty pricey as well, and the quality definitely doesn't match the price. The decor is cute, but I didn't find much else to recommend about it.

Pros: Nice decor
Cons: Bad food, Overpriced
hippublican
hippublican

Great value

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

We came here for lunch buffet and it was very good. Some dishes from the buffet were better than others, but I imagine if you went more than once you'd get a handle on what you like and what you don't. In any case, it was filling and a great value for the money.
We got a brownie too, which was good but not brownie like at all. When I tried to divide it with my fork, it went flying off my plate because it was so hard.
The one thing I really didn't like was how quiet it was in the restaurant. It's pretty small, and you're sitting near other people, so some music would have been nice to help make my conversations a little more private.

emzy1985
emzy1985

Found through Happy Cow!

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

We were looking for an all you can eat place in the Soho area and this one was the first that came up on our Happy Cow search. It's healthy and reasonably priced with some really good raw options for both food and drink. We stuffed ourselves with flavoursome vegetable based dishes until we couldn't move. :)

Pros: Central location., All you can eat buffet., Plenty of food on offer.
Cons: 1 hour limit on buffet., Not enough seating., Staff a little slow.
dkinjer
dkinjer

Convenient location, but not terrific food

3 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2011

We ended up eating here twice on a three day visit to London, because it is convenient to where we were situated and because some other places were not open as advertised. The food was OK, but nothing special. As other people pointed out, you don't know what you will like, so you have to take your chances when filling your plate. It is a bit annoying that the different foods get all mixed up on the plate. The staff were not particularly pleasant.

bluebelle
bluebelle

Okay, but room for improvement

2 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

I settled on Vitao while looking for VitaOrganic, it turns out that VitaOrganic is temporarily closed. Anyway, I realised that I have actually been inside Vitao before, maybe 2 summers ago, I remember walking by, going in and thinking I must come back to eat here. Anyway, I ate here this evening from approximately 18:30 and it was very quiet, nice bohemian decor; wood tables and seats, handwritten menu board...with very laid back atmospheric music. I choose from the all you can eat in an hour buffet which came in at £8.90- very reasonable. The food was largely Asian inspired with aubergine certainly being the most commonly used ingredient. Choices included a chick pea curry dhal, white cabbage, aubergine and carrot in coconut milk which was very tasty; tempura aubergine, a few other lentil dishes, some mock meat dishes and raw salads such as a red cabbage and beetroot mix, cauliflower, broccoli and courgette salad with shreds of seaweed and many starches like pasta stir fry, brown rice to accompany many of the vegetable dishes and a warm potato salad. The food was quite tasty but much of it was luke warm at best when it should have been hot. As far as numbers go there are alot of dishes to choose from but many of them are actually very similar if not the same for example the aubergine, carrot and courgette trio featured in several, yes, several dishes and in about four of them the flavours didn't differ much, actually they were the same. There were also duplicates of the white cabbage, carrot and aubergine in coconut milk dish. There were a few items such as the sweet and sour mock meat with (aubergine) courgette and cauliflower that was tasteless and cold along with another rather unpleasant shitake mushroom and mock mince dish. The lack of creativity with the vegetable dishes and lack in variety of vegetables used drove me to try small amounts of some of these protein, mock meat dishes which typical do not appeal to me and didn't on this occasion, but I was just bored so tried them. Unfortunately, most of the mock meat dishes I tried were tasteless and the texture hardened by them being cold. Worth a visit but I don't see myself eating here again.

Pros: Pleasant atmosphere, Nice staff
Cons: Lack of creativity with food, Small range of vegetables used, Hot food dishes are cold
chrystanthem
chrystanthem

bland

2 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

didn't like it. the food was bland (even the two-chili spice stews) and the hot food wasn't really hot. cozy locations, but I'm not impressed at all...

Pros: cozy
Cons: bland, lukewarm food
beitme
beitme

healthy salad bar

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

Salad bar serving up fresh food will be a sure bet for the health conscious. There's a wide selection of food including both soup and salad varieties; more so on the latter. The taste is well suited to the palate, though nothing very remarkable. The price is okay for the amount you get. Nice atmosphere if you decide to eat-in, but be prepared to pay a little more for it.

Pros: healthy food, wide variety
PhilippeNicolitch
PhilippeNicolitch

Not impressed

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

the food was just OK. The staff was not particularly friendly. I won't go back. There are better buffet alternatives in London: tibbits, 222, and Loving Hut

Pros: location
Cons: Taste, Cleanliness, Friendliness
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Not bad but you can porbably find better

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

This is a small, cute, hectic place that is good to grab a smoothie or meal, but dont expect amazing quality. It is very homemade tasting, meaning good, but not really worth paying much for because you can make it just as well.

Pros: price, variety, fun atmosphere
Cons: oily, mediocre taste
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Good food, but too crowded and chaotic

3 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2010

I think I would have liked this place a lot more if it weren't so crowded, and if I had the time to figure out the system.

You can order either the buffet, which is only the food at the side of the restaurant, and not anything at the counter. The buffet is charged by the plate, which is a little annoying because you can't know what you will like before filling up your plate. We ordered the buffet, which was good, but not spectacular. We also got two drinks, but apparently they didn't hear the order for the second and only ended up with one. I realized later that we weren't charged for the second drink, so it wasn't going to come. To get another drink would have meant standing in line for 20 minutes, so we were stuck with just the one.

The other way you can order food is by the item, but unless you want a small meal, it is likely to end up more expensive than the buffet. Also, that is what slowed the line down, and made the restaurant so crowded.

I would recommend that if you go, you go on a weekend so it's less busy. The line at 1:30 on a Monday was incredible.

Pros: Good food, all vegan
Cons: Crowded, Overly rushed service, single-plate buffet
Sammy
Sammy

Good to grab a quick bite.

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

Lovely feel about this place, but I got a little confused about the 'scope' system. I felt it was a little expensive for pre-made counter style food and my moussaka could have done with a little less oil. I love the setting though and wish I had tried those yummy looking cakes, which unfortunately are highly priced so I wasn't able to afford to eat both a meal and a cake.
This place is perfect if you want to have a casual meal with friends or sit by yourself with the paper and has a nice atmosphere inside. It's ideal for those wanting to get a speedy lunch. I might nip in again to devour a slice of something naughty!

Pros: Quick, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Confusing, Pricey
spaine
spaine

loved it

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2010

i was very impressed with the amount of choice and the tasty good value for what you get... i have recommended it to others who have equally been impressed. I am not a fan of spice and was happy they had the more bland options. I hope it gets enough money to grow bigger, as it is a small space and possible not as nice if it was very busy...iam going again this sat! yum yum

Pros: quality food, cheap, lots of choice
Cons: small
fitzroyveggie
fitzroyveggie

Very good

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2009

Went to this place today with a coworker - very nice. You can choose the buffet (consisting primarily of hot dishes) or choose from the bar at the front by the scoop. Each scoop is £1.70 and the serving size is fairly generous. I chose the "black magic tofu", shepherd's pie, and an assortment of salads. While the tofu was fairly bland and generic, the shepherd's pie was very good. My coworker chose the stroganoff which was adequate, although I've had better vegan stroganoff before. The salads were fresh and fun, and you can even choose from a number of the salads to fulfill your "scoop."

I'm eager to go back and try some of the other options, especially the desserts! Although somewhat expensive, the pricing is fairly in line with other restaurants and cafes in the area. The place has a very casual and comfortable vibe, a nice departure from high end establishements such as Manna and The Gate.

Definitely check this place out, you won't regret it.

nspanee
nspanee

healthy place

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

needed some time to understand the thing with paying by scoops(didn't know what a scoop should be in german) but then got a good meal all in all. pretty healthy stuff, so perfect if you want to cure the fast food you had in red veg for example ;). The teas and the juices are really good.

Pros: teas, n juices, choose your mealsize, healthy stuff
Cons: probably confusing for foreigners
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Wonderful place

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2009

We went here two days in a row. The first for desserts and drinks, the second for lunch. Both times I was very impressed.

I am allergic to chocolate and to my delight they have carob desserts and drinks! The desserts are pricey at £4.50 but they are truly amazing! I am a big eater but they are so rich that the small serving size did not bother me at all, served with a yummy coconut cream.

The meal consists of you choosing a "scoop" out of a variety of dishes. Each scoop costs £1. I had an amazing stroganoff (haven't had that for over a decade) and some other great dishes that I forget now. All was tasty.

I found the staff helpful and friendly. I really recommend checking this place out if only for the desserts and hot carob lattes.

Pros: great desserts, carob options, reasonably priced
*manon*
*manon*

Recommended

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

Only had tea and cakes, but that's reason enough to go here. Real ginger and lemon tea (with actual fresh ginger and lemon) and delicious raw pies (we had the apple and the chocolate). Very small restaurant with very interesting furniture :-)

Pros: raw cakes
Cons: very small
Jeff Sanders
Jeff Sanders

Alive and Kicking

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2009

Feeling a little drained after a walk across London, we went to Vita Organic for a quick bite. Upon seeing all the food, we went for 3 scoops each and an organic cola to wash it down. One of my scoops was the vegan stroganoff and it was of course amazing! I got it cause it was vegan and white, guess I don't have enough white food in my life and get easily excited. After the mains it was up to the counter for some dessert. Immediately two cakes stood out, the berry cheesecake and the carob, I must say that carob cake was the best thing I've ever tasted, I'm not sure if it was because I was so hungry, but I left feeling alive again! The place is a nice cozy oasis among the busy Soho district, pleasant staff and the fact that it's all vegan is a huge plus in my book! The price is up there but you get what you pay for, so I have to give Vita Organic a maximum 5.

Pros: Vegan, organic, dessert!
Lucylu
Lucylu

A real let down

2 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2009

Good first: the food you get by the scoop is really tasty and healthy too. The smoothies, although rather overpriced, are very nice.

The bad: Really unhelpful staff, we didn't know how the place worked and when I asked I was given a look of pure condescention and then explained to poorly! It was REALLY cold in there and far too crowded. My friend ordered off the menu (rather than the "by the scoop" bit and it was extremely tiny portion (more like a very small snack) despite the fact it was almost the same price as mine. The chocolate cake was dry and quite dull.

We won't be going back

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Over priced for what it is, Slow
piffelina
piffelina

not worth the price

2 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2009

my boyfriend and i went here and tried raw food for the first time. i felt like i could use some advice, but when i asked the waitress, she made me feel like an idiot.

the food tasted of nothing, and it was pretty expensive. won't be going back.

Cons: unfriendly & unhelpful waitress, not great food, expensive
Silver_Spider01
Silver_Spider01
  • non-vegetarian

Wholesome, well priced, cosy & conveniently locate

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2008

Really like this place. Proper homecooking-style food, nutritious and healthy and at a great price. Especially for the portion size. A great place to stop by for a refreshing vegetable juice or a healthy lunch.

It is only a little, so can get a bit cramped at busy times, but it has a really cozy atmosphere which just encouages customers to get to know each other.

It can be a bit slow on service too sometimes, but most of the food is ready to serve and the staff are pretty knowledgable and helpful.

Pros: Wholesome, healthy food, good value, big portions, Knowledgable staff
Cons: Bit cramped, bit slow to serve
niallmc
niallmc

good, but not mind blowing

3 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2008

I have heard so many good things about this place. I think maybe too many as I was expecting to be completely blown away. I haven't experienced too much raw foodand am used to warmer grub for a meal. The cake was great.

Pros: cake, atmosphere
Jemima
Jemima

Convenient, cheap, tasty organic food and juices

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2008

This place has the feel of a cosy cave. It is small and fills up with patrons at meal times. There seems to be enough space to accommodate the volumes though. Mostly pairs of people (most tables are small and are closely spaced so this makes sense) however the odd group and single dine there too.

Food is international. I think the proprietors may be of East/ South East Asian background though. There is a raw food menu and prepared cooked food/ salads which are stored on the counter. There are at least ten pots of cooked food to choose from. There are also cakes in the cabinet and a whole blackboard full of juices. I had the cooked food which is charged by the scoop. I had "moussaka", salad with red cabbage and broccoli amongst other ingredients, thai green curry and rice/ bulgur/ couscous mix - four scoops. The moussaka did not resemble its name, it was fine. I hesitated on getting the curry because the pot it was in was placed right at the front of the counter where at least one customer had closely breathed all over it also there was barely any left and the attendant had to scrape to serve almost a scoop. My love of green curry won out though, it was pretty good. The salad was definitely raw, fine. With this I had their immune booster juice that was chock full of healthy ingredients including lots of blueberries - great! I was quite full but took away chocolate almond cake. It was quite dry and crumbly, otherwise good.

Attendants/ waitstaff (it is mostly counterservice) were fine.

At around 13 pounds for organic, good tasting main, dessert and beverage, it was good value.

This place makes a five.

Pros: Convenient, central, organic, good value
Cons: Food storage in cutomers reach/ breath
  • Silver_Spider01 Silver_Spider01

It may be the mousakka they served was arab mousakka rather than the Greek adaption that many Westerners know. Mou sakka means 'to serve cold' and is a an Lebanese,Egyptian, Morrocan dish something like the mediteranean rattatoiue- tomatoes, aubergine, chickpeas, peppers etc all cooked up together. The layered aubergine with tomato sauce and bechamel topping is a European adaption.
    Hope this clears up any confusion

Bright Blessings

Merciless666
Merciless666

Vegan foods don't ever tastes good...

3 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

Hippiesh but heatful designed. Buffet style food out of the bowl. Hope my belly troubles the day after aren't related to their foods but some kind of sickness...
The place is nice an full off inspirition. I hope i might taste more insiration in their cooking, next time i'm in London.

Pros: cheap, cosy, friendly
Cons: needs improvement
camerongreen
camerongreen

Vegan, Organic...what more do you want?

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

I've eaten here dozens of times.

It's a tight squeeze most of the time, especially on a couple of occasions I've been there with the London Vegan Meetup, but the food is always good.

One of the only vegan restaurants in London, the food never fails to please and I've been there with a lot of people. Great vegan desserts and drinks too.

I also ate the only three course raw meal I've ever had here...wasn't that impressed compared to their usual food but my raw friend was so something to try.

Pros: Great food, Inexpensive, Organic
Cons: Squeezy
vegan girl 24
vegan girl 24

favorite place in london

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2007

this place is fantastic! if you are looking for quality food at great portions that won't burst your wallet, definitely head here. the food is served mostly by scoops-they have about 10 large pots full of hot food and 8 more of cold options in bowls at the counter. they also have some raw food options from the menu. i have only done the scoops option, and it is great. £6.50 for 4 scoops, £5.50 for 3, a pound for additional scoops. happy hour from 3-5 is even cheaper-£5 for 4 scoops i think. the food is very hearty and filling. mushroom stroganoff is one of the best things i have had as a vegan. they also have 4 or so cake choices (they are all wheat free). the chocolate cake was good (a little dry though.) the best part though is that it comes with a soya custard cream that is amazing! absolutely delicious. already been back a couple times and can't wait to go more.

Pros: great food, lots of options
chaval
chaval

Boring food, lovely smoothies

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2007

My girlfriend and I visited this place once and I must say that the food didn't meet my expectations regarding taste, how it looked and the way it was served (reminded me of school kitchen). I like the idea of an organic restaurant but why not use some herb salt or soy-meat? Their chocolate cake was okay and their smoothies were absolutely delicious! But you should never show a carnivore this restaurant if you want to convince her/him to become a vegan, that's for sure!

Pros: Organic, Delicious smoothies
Cons: Tasteless food
daisyduke
daisyduke
  • raw

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2007

Was in London a few weeks ago and went to Vitaorganic. If you are ever in London - you should definitely check it out! I thought it was amazing! I am a raw vegan, so this review was written with emphasis on raw foods.

For lunch - they have about 8 different raw salads. They just pile them onto a big plate. Each one was different and completely delicious. They have a raw juice/smoothie bar from which there are several raw selections.

After 6 PM you can order off of the menu. They have an entire page or two of raw items. I went there to eat several times so I tried several different items:
The Raw Lasagna with Pesto Sauce was so delicious. The 'noodles' were thinly sliced zuchinni - totally divine.

Then I had a raw Nori Roll. It had many different veggies stuffed inside of it with a great pate, too.

The best meal of all was Raw Thai Curry Noodles. This was to die for! Spicy and sweet and seasoned perfectly!

They even had raw chocolate cake for desert. My hubby even loved it!

If you're ever in London - you should definitely go there. The portions were pretty decent, the staff was friendly, and the food was delicious!

Pros: Taste, Food, Location

Dear Owner and Manager of Vantra Vitao: