Vishnu - Ave 1

A fast food chain with locations in food courts. Large space. Vegetarian menu includes veggieburgers, juices, sandwiches, soup, beans, and more. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Western, Juice bar, Fast food

First Review by annice
adamrowland
adamrowland

A handy place to grab a quick bite to eat

3 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

This branch of Vishnu is located in the centre of San Jose close to the main shopping street and a 15min walk from the National Museum. Although being told not to walk around the city after dark, we arrived here around 8pm. The place was very quiet but had plenty of seating for those times when it could get busier.

Compared to other places in San Jose, this place stays open relatively late (9pm) - everywhere else we looked at was closed by 6pm.

They have a limited amount of English menus but the menu is simple enough to muddle through with a basic understanding of Spanish.

The menu had a large selection of fresh juices (with Pineapple being their most popular going off the huge number of the fruit dotted around the restaurant!)

Even though this place looks like a fast-food restaurant, it is table service for ordering, service and bussing (At the end you take your check up to the cashier to pay.)

My partner and I both had the burger 'meal-deal' which came with fries and a juice. My burger was vegan (simply without the cheese). It was surprising tasty and very substantial. A thin flavoursome patty with a chunky slice of vegan sausage-ham. However, the fries were disappointing (really anaemic and bland).

Service was attentive (us being the only customers by the end!) and there was a steady stream of people coming in to order fresh bread, pastries and a selection of canned faux-meats which pepper the counter.

Over all this was a tasty stomach-filler of a restaurant in a hectic and confusing city. Cheap prices, good service and reasonable food. However, I just really appreciated a decent, protein-filled vegan meal.

Worth a try if you're in San Jose.

Pros: Cheap, Opening times, Convenient location
Cons: Overall food quality, atmosphere
crewumiami
crewumiami

veggie options

3 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2012

Every time I travel, I try and find vegan restaurants to check out and I ended up returning a couple of times. Vegan burger was not like your typical burger that you would find in the states, but it was pretty good considering. The server was helpful to exclude dairy products in burger and shake. Overall, was pleased!!

Pros: price, food
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Uninteresting white food

2 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

We went to Vishnu for lunch because it was close to the Gran Hotel where we were staying. We were able to get vegan food but while it did not kill us, it certainly tasted bland and uninteresting. However, the place was crowded and other people seemed to be enjoying the food. so hard to say but perhaps we were expecting more.

Pros: Quick and friendly service, Moderate cost
Cons: Food was uninteresting
Sarah P
Sarah P

Good enough when you need a vegan meal in San Jose

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

I ate at two different locations today. First I had the gallo pinto plate at the Avenida 1 location. It was delicios and huge, and the service was very fast. The arroz integral in the gallo pinto was very welcome after a white rice dominance for the duration of my stay. The gallo pinto was also very tasty, and came with toast, soy ham (which was not to my taste but which I ate with gusto to have a full vegan plate). Also included was a salad, which I had to send back to have the dressing removed even though the server assurred me there was no mayonnaise in it. Lastly included was the drink of the day- pineppla fresca, which was also tasty. The whole plate was 2,200 colones. Overall it was easy to order a vegan meal despite the presence of cheese on the menu, especially since I craved something with rice and beans rather than spaghetti or lasagna.

After walking for a couple of hours at which point I was ready for more, I went to the Avenida 3 location and ate the epequeñae soy ice cream with fruit salad. It was ginormous, truly the biggest ice cream dish I have ever eaten, but it was so worth it. People at both locations explained to me that all milk, ice cream and yogurt products can be of soy and completely without animal milk, and so milkshakes and such are possible. The ice cream cost 2,300 colones, and it was definitely enough for 2 people or as a full meal. I was not sick in the slightest bit after eating the ice cream, and even after consuming such a large portion, so I am confident that it was in fact 100% vegan as stated.

Pros: Multiple convenient locations, Accessible, Vegan ice cream
Cons: So many items have cheese, Soy ham is on everything
harper
harper

Yum

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

Im living in san jose, and I love to go here and get a veggie burger. I am a vegan, so I just ask for no cheese. I have never had a problem ordering, and i speak very little spanish. I find it strange some people think they should speak english. Is it run down, yes it is, but that doesnt really bother me, the food is good,cheap and the ice tea is the best, i always get another to go.Its also walkable from my house. I like being able to eat somewhere that i know there is no meat in the back messing with my food.

Pros: great tea, cheap
Cons: run down
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

cheap and easy

2 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2010

I ate here twice while I was in San Jose. We choose this place because of its convenient location to our hostel. The plate of the day was pretty good but I was still hungry. The second time I got the veggie burger which was tasty. It satisfied my need for some western food. Im back in San Jose now and could walk over there for some food, but it wasnt that good. I will just eat some veggie food here at the hostel.
Oh, the tables are way too small and the place is really run down.

Pros: fast, convenient, cheap
Cons: run down, no atmosphere
Dian719
Dian719

Okay cuando tienes hambre

3 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

I only stopped here to grab a veggie burger as I was walking around the streets of San Jose and became very hungary. It satisfied my hunger but did not leave me with a desire to return if I had been staying in San Jose another day. It was a busy place so I'm sure many people realy like the food.

tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

dont bother

2 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2009

visited what i think is the main location downtown... there were several cockroaches on the floor (although as long as they dont crawl on me they dont bother me, but they do most people), the menu is minuscule (pizza, lasagna, spaghetti, a few sandwiches and maybe a couple other things) i am vegan and was put off that almost everything on the menu included cheese. their only soup of the day was a creme soup, i asked in spanish not to have cheese on my sandwich, it still came with cheese, the menu also did not note that the sandwich came with mayo and ketchup (although i guess i should have known about the ketchup), both of which i dont eat. they said their veggie burgers are vegan but i doubt it, and it seemed the toasted buns for the sandwhiches were also slightly buttered. so unless you are a vegetarian and love cheese on everything, or really really really need a veggie burger or faux ham sandwich, stay away. i have been to veggie places in 18 different countries, and i know its costa rica and not nyc, but this is by far the worst place i have visited and i am usually very east to please.

Pros: good faux ham, okay juice
Cons: everything chees, few choices, dirty
lotustummy
lotustummy

veggie fast food

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2008

this reminded me of little veg places in India - and maybe because of the name ": ) good daily plate with rice and soup, salad and some fruit. I loved my veggie burger.. after weeks of rice and beans.. it was a welcome treat. try the ginger ice tea - AMAZING!!

Pros: cheap and fast, pretty delicious food, one of the only places to get veg!
Cons: noisy, fast food restauarant atmosphere, not much variety
Guest
Guest

My "local" in San Jose

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2007

Often found myself heading to Vishnu for a hearty veggie meal during a month long stay in San Jose. Great, friendly atmosphere, easy image-based menu, lots of choice and creativity. Cheap too. I don't go a bundle myself on meat-like soya which is the basis of some of the burgers, but it's great if you're hungry and there's loads of other choice anyway.

Pros: 100% veggie, substantial portions, pictorial menu
annice
annice

Cheap and filling

2 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2007

We ate ar Vushnu in the food court. We had the soup special, which consisted of soup, beans, rice, some soy, potato, cooked fruit and some kind of ultra-sweet, vile orange drink, which we left. This was very mediocre fast food, and I wouldnt recommend it unless you have no other options. The attendent behind the counter spoke no English, whioh made communication rather difficult. though there were pictures of the food.

Pros: cheap and filling, convenient location, strictly veggie
Cons: mediocre food, no English spoken, mall atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Vishnu - Ave 1: