Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Located in the Courtyard Shopping Center, most of the menu is vegan, vegetarian and/or gluten-free and are clearly marked. The owner of the restaurant and her food are known and adored by everyone around this area. She has provided community meals from her home kitchen for years, and, by popular demand, has finally opened a restaurant. She is motivated by a love of community and social justice. The menu is always changing, as she sources as much as possible from small local farmers. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by faisca
tauberl
tauberl

Good food, nice atmosphere

3 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

Good Indian food with a variety of vegan options, including some things I haven't seen elsewhere (it's northern indian food so a little different from most of the places I usually go). I had the daal and a spiced cabbage dish, both yummy. The oatmeal cookie was good too :-)

Pros: friendly staff, nice courtyard seating
charitygrace
charitygrace

I love Vimala's

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2014

My husband and I are vegan and somewhat of "health nuts". We go to Vimala's about once a week and have NEVER been disappointed. Our favorite items are the aloo chaat, mushroom uttapam, and the vegan thali. The vegan thali always has a different curry so we never get board of ordering the same thing! They always have good beers on tap too. High quality ingredients and friendly service.

Pros: good food, good options for everyone, willing to cater to special needs
Cons: sometimes slow, lack of vegan desserts
RalphieNader
RalphieNader

Great vegan food!

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

Vimala's is one of the best places in the Triangle, and luckily they have great vegetarian/vegan options.

They have amazing food and service, and with Vimala's progressive policies (feeding those who can't afford to pay for the food, living wages, etc), it's very representative of "excellence with a heart"- what the city/university aspire to be.

They label right on the menu what is vegan- and they have plenty to choose from. I used them to cater several all-vegan events and it was great. I think they also label gluten-free items as well.

jcberger
jcberger

One of my favorite restaurants in the whole world

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2013

I have traveled to many places and have eaten at many high-end dining establishments, and Vimala's truly beats them all. You will not find such high-quality food anywhere else, period -- especially not for her prices.

Everything from the appetizers to the atmosphere is impeccable. The staff is friendly, helpful, and extremely accommodating. Both the indoor and outdoor seating areas are absolutely beautiful. Live music, a bubbling fountain, pretty stonework, gorgeous landscaping, lights- there is no better place to spend a summer evening than in the Courtyard. The restaurant is charming and lovely yet relaxed- the perfect balance of class and informality.

But what is really fantastic about Vimala's is the food itself. If it were any fresher it would still be in the soil. Vimala works with local farmers and has her own garden to source food for the restaurant, and she demands only the highest quality produce and spices. The many, many vegan options (clearly labeled) are just as finely orchestrated as the meat dishes. Every time I eat there I am completely floored at the outright, remarkable deliciousness and flavor complexity of her dishes. Other Indian restaurants do not even compare (even in India!). Unlike at other restaurants, you well never get just one dish at Vimala's; all the entrees are served with little salads, soups, chutneys, sauces, etc. and that makes for a very exciting dining experience.

Vimala's is a Chapel Hill/Carrboro institution, now, but it is also the best restaurant in the entire triangle area. Vimala hasn't just created a restaurant, she has built a community.

The only drawback is the wait. It can be long on weekend nights at peak hours. Come for lunch anytime or dinner during the week and service will be much faster. If you come on a weekend, come with people you can just hang out with for a while, order an appetizer, have a beer, and relax.

Would definitely be a full 5 cows if it didn't serve meat and dairy!
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 11, 2012

Pros: spectacular food, great value, wonderful atmosphere
Cons: long wait sometimes
bullcityveg
bullcityveg

An Indian Mom

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

I stopped in for lunch one day and have gone back several times. The food is really tasty and I have been told it is as locally sourced as possible. The kitchen staff look more like a hippie commune than your typical restaurant.

I've been twice when Vimala herself was there. That's a real treat. She took my order while I was in line and I got my food before I even paid. Then, like a real Indian mom, asked how everything was and if I needed anything, if it was too spicy or not spicy enough. She brought me an extra chutney when I said I could take a little more heat.

In line, I've seen people sample 3 or 4 dishes before ordering. Everyone is very helpful. That said, sometimes it can take FOREVER to get in and out of there. Food is always fresh and as stated, everyone is very accommodating and wants to help you choose the best meal for you. One downside-- they are ALWAYS out of samosas. Maybe you have to get there right when they open?

Pros: great customer service, fresh food
Cons: slow, often run out of things

thisby
thisby

Best meal I've ever eaten

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

It sounds like I must be joking that I had the best meal I've ever eaten, but I'm completely serious! I had the vegan masala dosa, and it was PERFECT! The service was so nice and helpful. I ended up bringing home garlic naan, rice, and rice pudding for my omnivorous hubby, and he loved it all. I appreciate that Vimala's uses local ingredients, has a fund that allows them to never turn anyone away, and works to be a positive force in the community. I really loved the physical environment, inside and out, as well. Oh how I wish it wasn't over an hour away from my home! Vimala teaches a cooking class once a month, so my hubby and I will take that class so that we can learn how to make some of these dishes ourselves.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Attractive interior
faisca
faisca

Loved It!

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

The food here is delightful. Dishes have a home-cooked/family recipe taste to them. Very flavorful. I especially enjoyed the vegan chai tea. Large selection of vegan dishes, and a wine cooler with an assortment of alcoholic beverages.

Pros: Authentic, Affordable, Amazing

Dear Owner and Manager of Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe: