Viet Chey - Vinh Nghiem Pagoda

There are 2 restaurants on opposite sides of the road. This one is in the Pagoda campus with and has air conditioning. Large a-la-carte menu. Buffet lunches on the first and the fifteenth days of Lunar month. Friendly atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Buffet, Vietnamese
339 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Q. 3, TP
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
08-35265859

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by ViolaineB
Kimxula
Kimxula

Wonderful place!

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2014

I am fortunate enough to live very close to Vinh Nghiem Pagoda and have tried the food several times there - I have brought friends along a few of those times and they all have enjoyed it as much as I do.

The restaurant is in the walls of the pagoda and it's usually quite busy in the evenings with locals; families, couples and monks enjoying the delicious food there. The staff have always been so kind to me and there's the sweetest little boy working there who comes up to me and always amazes me with his English.

I like the atmosphere there and I like the food even more. Portion sizes are huge; my friend and I ordered a tofu dish each, a 'side' of spinach and a serving of rice to share and it could easily have fed 4 people...we were stuffed! Actually, I didn't particularly like that tofu dish I ordered as I found the sauce a little too sour for my liking, but the spinach with garlic is good, and so are the 'fish' fingers, which taste really close to the real thing, as the tofu based 'fish' is wrapped in seaweed, giving it that slightly 'fishy' taste. Finally, I always get the fried sweet potato when I'm there - simple, but so good! Definitely check out Vinh Nghiem Pagoda restaurant, great selection of dishes and really pleasant surroundings!

Pros: Lots to choose from, Affordable, Lovely pagoda right by
MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

Must visit!

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

I found this listing on Happy Cow while I was visiting Ho Chi Minh and decided to give it a try. I went on a weeknight and had the dinner buffet. The price was more than reasonable and the food variety was very impressive! The vast majority of customers here are locals and so the food had more authentic flavors and ingredients than many of the other restaurants I tried. The vegetarian pho was outstanding and the best I had during my whole trip in Vietnam. I highly recommend this restaurant not only for the value but also for the buffet variety as you can sample a lot of local dishes that you may not be able to find vegetarian versions of elsewhere.

Pros: great value, huge variety, authentic cuisine
ViolaineB
ViolaineB
  • raw

Excellent food, friendly staff

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

Really had a nice meal there, we were a bit wary at first as a lot of places were a disappointment. We ordered a lot of food, probably too much! I thought I ordered some spring rolls for starters but thank god I didn't... so much food! Although they looked good on other people's tables. This restaurant is inside a temple/pagoda. Only vietnamese people were there. The staff speaks a little english, some better than others. Ask for a menu in english otherwise they'll bring you the vietnamese one. The menu is substantial, with all sorts of dishes, such as mock meat, chicken curry, seafood rice, mock beef in phò and vegetables dishes. Amazing lotus rice, really yummy. The chicken curry was delicious, with lots of lemongrass. Presentation amazing. Cleanness remarkable. The staff was also super friendly which is always a plus! It looks like people working there are somehow linked to the temple. Apparently Vinh Nhhiem Pagoda is the largest pagoda in town. People go there to pay homage to Siddhartha Gautama, Buddha himself, and Samantahartha, the lord of truth and justice according to City Pass Guid. We saw a buddhist monk passing by. The ceiling is made of glass and the place looks very zen, We went there when it was raining so it was very appeasing and serene. You really need to check this place out people! It really deserves to be visited. You just got to taste that lotus rice!

Pros: great food, great staff, great presentation and CLEAN!!!

Dear Owner and Manager of Viet Chey - Vinh Nghiem Pagoda: