Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegetarian options and many can be made vegetarian or vegan using tofu sustitute upon request. Large portions. Price: Moderate more-less
Loatian, Thai, Non-veg
151 W Gorham St (Henry)
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
608-255-2848

Open Mon-Fri 11-10, Sat 12-10, Sun 4-10.

First Review by Plain-Simple-Truth
MadisonVegan
MadisonVegan

bad service, but go anyway!

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

The previous reviewer was correct in that the service at Vientiane is pretty lousy. But if you're prepared for it, you can be proactive and not let that ruin your enjoyment of what is pretty good food with generous portions at a great price.

First off, don't wait for the one waitress (there is rarely more than one) to come to you. Ever. Once you're seated and ready to order, just go up to the counter and order. Then ask for a pitcher of water (you will most likely go thirsty if you don't). Once the order is in, the food usually doesn't take long at all. Just remember to be proactive and don't let her ignore you. If you take my advice on this, the bad service that others around you are getting almost becomes comical.

And I concur with a previous review. This is the ONLY place in Madison that I don't go four stars. I did it once and I ate the whole dish, but it was not very enjoyable. It was insanely hot, and I have a really high tolerance for heat. Unless you're like me and most places are just never hot enough for you, go with three stars maximum, probably even fewer. My girlfriend has a decent tolerance for heat and she usually just gets one star. Don't be a hero!

With these things in mind, I think you can enjoy the experience. Pretty good food and lots of it for a very fair price (especially at lunch). Just make sure that there is no fish sauce in what you're ordering (unless you're into that - ewwww).

Pros: super spicy, cheap, big portions
Cons: bad service
David S
David S

welcome to a non-American restaurant

3 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2009

a haven for heat lovers! Vientiane is known to the locals as the place to go for spicy Lao-Thai food. most restaurants tone down the heat scale for the typical midwestern palate, but this is not the case here. if you are daring, try "three stars" heat, otherwise ask for "no stars" or go somewhere else for a nice mild veggie burger. anyone asking for more than three stars is made of iron. with the closing of Thai Garden restaurant in Monona, this is one of the few remaining places left in town i can get it this hot--elsewhere i have to beg for hotter than four stars.

even with "zero stars," there's plenty of flavor in the dishes. the squash curry and an iced tea will brighten any cold winter day. the portions are generous for the price. i frequently take half my dish home for lunch the next day...the wonderful smells make coworkers envious when i heat it up in the break room.

Pros: spicy hot, flavorful, good value
Cons: little to no parking
Plain-Simple-Truth
Plain-Simple-Truth

Long Wait, Rude Server, Too Spicy

1 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

When we specifically asked for mild, we were both served "extra hot" and couldn't eat the food at all. The waitress kept us waiting extra time when we politely mentioned our limited timeline, and she was smiling smuggly after we each had only one bite and had to pay $25 for 2 plates of food left on the table and leaving with our stomachs growling with hunger. WE WON'T BE BACK. SAVE YOUR MONEY for restaurants who treat you as a VALUED customer!!

Pros: NONE
Cons: Rude, Long Wait, Expensive and Inedible
  • harrysandy harrysandy