Victory's Banner

A popular breakfast house with an uplifting spiritual atmosphere. Try the design-your-own scramble, raspberry french toast, and omelets. Sugar packets carry spiritual messages, and the waitstaff wear saris. Small outdoor seating area in summer. Will customize most items. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American
2100 W Roscoe St (Hoyne)
Chicago, Illinois 60618
773-665-0227

Open 8am-3pm, closed Tueday.

First Review by alpineflowers
veganmiss
veganmiss

Great Brunch Spot

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

Victory's Banner is a small restaurant in the heart of Roscoe Village. With quaint stores and other neighborhood restaurants and bars along Roscoe Ave., Victory's Banner fits right in. During the summer in Chicago, you must sit outside to eat even if it is a hundred degrees outside. We spend far too long indoors during the winter/spring/fall to not do so. For brunch, we sat outside and the owner was very friendly, talking to us about the restaurant, menu, and asking about ourselves.

The restaurant is entirely vegetarian with many vegan options. The people that work there also are practitioners of meditation and followers of an Indian spiritual master. Don't be surprised to see the wait staff in sari's!

I had the tofu scramble. The tofu was seasoned very well. You have a choice of adding two types of vegetables to it. I opted for a side of mixed grilled vegetables in order to add more than just two. I also got a side of soy sausage (the soy bacon had egg in it). To top it all off, it came with some very hardy bread and soy butter and homestyle potatoes. To wash it down, I had some apple juice.

Victory's Banner is definitely a place to go to as a vegetarian or vegan on the prowl for a yummy brunch in Chicago! Highly recommend and I'll be going back sometime soon.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/07/vegan-chicago-review-of-victorys-banner.html
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 27, 2011

Pros: great brunch, outdoor seating
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Charming Place

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

Let me bottom line this for you, you won't find a better breakfast in Chicago.

I've been coming here for almost 8 years. The design-your-own omeletes and scrambles are fantastic. For vegetarians, they use cage-free eggs which is a wonderful step in the right direction. For vegans, order it with tofu instead of eggs (tofu scramble). You choose which veggies, soy sausage, or other options you'd like added. It's served with a side of potatoes and bread. You can ask for black beans instead of the potatoes.

They have vegan french toast which is *AMAZING*.

Great selection of veggie burgers and sandwiches for lunch too. All of their burgers can be made vegan upon request, it says it right on the menu.

I'm hesitant to share this for fear it gets too popular and I can't get a reservation anymore, but every year they have a Vegetarian Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving day. They do seatings at 2pm, 4pm and 6pm. You choose whether you want the vegetarian or vegan option. It is mindblowingly delicious. If you can't dine in, you can order any of the items carry-out (you have to order ahead).

The food is excellent but I also go here for the vibe. The staff is so kind and friendly. Zen out like they do, don't be in a hurry, and you'll have a wonderful experience.

Pros: staff, food, neighborhood
gorky
gorky

Wow.

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2010

Awesome vegetarian food for an unsophisticated palate like mine. There definitely is some vegan stuff, but I'm not really sure how far they go. Friendly and cheery host/waiters, relaxing and bright atmosphere with light background music, and nice big windows. Uplifting colorful paintings - yeah, a spirituality is in the air but again, you may not even notice it if that's not your cup of tea. Great tea, by the way, all kinds! The place displays a healthy coexistence of a gentle new-agedness with the good old Americana.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: none whatsoever
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Ask for the Separate Vegan Menu

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2009

I wanted to try Victory's Banner for a quite a while, but I never went because I've been told by several people that they had limited vegan options. Well recently I decided to find out what those limited options were and to my surprise, they actually have a whole separate vegan menu. You have to ask for it, and it's not noticeable - luckily my bf asked if they had options before we were seated and out came the extra menu. Apparently most things can be made vegan here too.

First things first, this is a popular place on the weekends! Not only is it busy, but it's small (and cozy) too, so expect to wait to be seated. The line looked long to us, but the wait wasn't too bad.

I ordered the vegan Southwest Burger and fried potatoes. The meal was very tasty! I loved the potatoes, the burger and the sauces that came with it were also very good (they have Vegenaise too). Since the burger is gluten free and vegan there's not much to hold it together. Needless to say, my burger did fall apart when I was trying to eat it, so it's a little messy - but it wasn't anything a fork couldn't fix. Overall I really like Victory's Banner, cozy place, friendly workers, and good food! I hope to make it there before 3 again some day.

JulieV
JulieV

Meh, not so crazy about it

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

I went to Victory's Banner when I was vegetarian and it was great. I went when I was vegan and it was not so good. There is a really small vegan selection, like maybe one thing. Not so good.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: not much vegan, not much vegan, not much vegan
katie_b
katie_b

favorite brunch spot

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

I love love love Victory Banner. Everything I have had is great...soy sausage, french toast, breakfast burrittos, a bunch of yummy sandwiches...but my absolute favorite is their mushroom gravy. I spent weeks trying to copy it. :) The only bad thing is that not a lot of my friends will go there with me and often refer to it as the cult restaurant. They are not a cult, I have never been recruited so whatever! The service is wonderful, the atmosphere is light & airy & peaceful, and they have outdoor seating in the summer.

Pros: delicious food, mushroom gravy, service with a smile
Cons: small, usually a wait for brunch on weekend
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Cute, cozy, and delicious!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

I have never once left Victorys Banner feeling empty or unsatisfied. This is a true treasure of the Roscoe Village neighborhood. While small, it's open and bright, and the wait staff is generally very friendly. The food is absolutely to die for. I'm yet to meet anyone who isn't thrilled with their meal. I've tried a variety of omelettes, raspberry pancakes, and small sides here and there. Always unbelievable. My only real qualms are with the videos and pictures displayed in the restaurant itself. Truthfully, I couldn't care less what they believe, however it's a bit awkward to post it all over the place...good thing the food is amazing, guys! :)

Pros: Incredible food., Bright and inviting., Great neighborhood.
Cons: Strange decor., Closed on Tuesdays!
RaspyRaspy
RaspyRaspy

Awesome, but needs more vegan options

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

This place is delicious, but their vegan menu is tiny and sad.

My bf and I go here alot. It is great if you're vegetarian. I've since gone vegan though, so all my favorite dishes got knocked out (no french toast, waffles, or pancakes). What *is* on the vegan menu is still really good, but I just wish they could make vegan versions of some of their other dishes. We are still regulars though and miss them when they go on their retreats.

Pros: friendly staff, good food, nice environment
Cons: small vegan menu
Cheryl27
Cheryl27

This place is great

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

I had breakfast there, on my one day in Chicago. I definitely chose the right place! The staff were super kind, the food was fantastic. My friend and I shared an omelette and waffle - truly to die for. The place exudes the philosophy of Sri Chinmoy which is love and peace.

Pros: delicious food, great atmosphere, friendly staff

Terrible Place for a Vegan

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

I was very optimistic when I recently went here for the first time, due to the good reviews. When I asked to see a vegan menu, the waiter looked at me like I was an alien and explained "you don't LOOK like a vegan!" Well, I am used to receiving strange looks when I ask for vegan food at a typical restaurant, but I usually enjoy going to vegetarian restaurants because I am more accepted there. He made several similar comments throughout our stay. The vegan menu was very limited, and I was told none of the vegetarian menu could be made vegan, because the majority of it was made from pre-made mixes. I decided to order the tofu scramble with sundried tomatoes and "sausage." The waiter returned and informed me that I could not have the sundried tomatoes (even though they were on the vegan menu), because they were made with butter.
When the tofu scramble did arrive, it was very small and unflavorful. I could have easily made something better at home.

Cons: waiter, food, portions
  • katie_b katie_b

I completely empathize on the lack of vegan options...but on the other hand...a lot of serversat a lot of restaurants would not have bothered to tell you about the butter in the sundried tomatoes....so at least they are respectful of other peoples' values & choices

great atmosphere

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2007

Really nice neighborhood spot with good food. It's really busy during the weekend brunch hours, expect to wait. The staff is great and the whole place has such a nice atmosphere, it feels like you've stepped out of the real world for a bit.

Pros: good food, great atmosphere, nice staff
Cons: always a wait, small room, small portions
alpineflowers
alpineflowers

Two Thumbs Up!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2007

Victory's Banner is awesome. If you're going on the weekend, make like the staff and zen out as soon as you walk thru the door because there will be a wait (10-40 mins). Put your name on the list and walk to Starbucks to get a paper or check out the thrift store or trendy shops across the street. Once you get a table, you're in for a treat. Sure to please are the raspberry french toast, omlettes, the Satisfaction Promise or Erin's Eggless Wonder. All the eggs they use are free-range (Phil's Farm Fresh). For lunch you can't beat the bacon cheeseburger. Vegan? Just tell them and they'll make your dish to order. The tofu scramble is a fantastic vegan dish. They recently added a few new wraps to the menu and I hope they keep them on there ~ the avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato wrap is outstanding.

In the summer you can bring your dog and eat at the tables outside. The only frustrating thing about this restaurant is that the staff takes retreats a couple times a year, so if you're a regular it can be frustrating when you go all the way over there and find the place closed. But that's what you get for not calling ahead I guess.

Pros: excellent eats, friendly atmosphere
Cons: weekend crowds

Dear Owner and Manager of Victory's Banner: