Via Roma Pizza and Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. By the Stop & Shop, the menu here includes traditional Italian cuisine as well as gluten free and vegetarian alternatives. Has vegan cheese alternative - for lasagna, rollantini, stuffed mushroom, baked ziti, and other dishes. Reported has vegan and gluten-free desserts (need call to confirm). Accept special orders for vegan cakes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Italian, Pizza, Bakery, Non-veg
2360 Lakewood Rd (Tri-City Plaza)
Toms River, New Jersey 08755
732-364-1980

Open Mon-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12-10pm.

First Review by realfoodlover
thevegantwins
thevegantwins

Consistently wonderful

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

We've been going to Via Roma, sporadically, for a few years now and have had large take-out orders for birthday parties to family dinners at the restaurant. Everything about Via Roma stands out. The manager takes a genuine interest in appealing to the vegan community. Upon entering, you are asked if you want a regular, vegan or gluten-free menu. The staff are pleasant and professional, no eye-rolling or vegan-bashing here. In fact, the last time we ate here, I ordered the grilled asparagus but the waitress returned shortly after ordering and told me they switched the order to sauteed asparagus because the grill is used for cooking meat and they assume I did not want my asparagus contaminated and they were right.

The food is consistently delicious. It is one of the rare non-100% vegan establishments where I can order a salad because I want to actually eat the salad since they have a nice selection of different salads with creative toppings. The pizza is spectacular and kudos for offering a whole wheat crust that is light and crispy. My husband is partial to the enormous strombolis, filled with assorted toppings though he loves the vegan chicken (gardein?) and broccoli. The eggplant parmesan sub is just as I remember from my childhood but no cruelty involved. As for the soups, the minestrone is some of the best I ever had.

Pros: Loads of vegan selections, Affordable, Very family-friendly
Cons: Odd pink, smelly soap in bathroom, Television in restaurant
poweredbytofu
poweredbytofu

Large and exceptional vegan menu

4 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

I had heard of this place for a while, but at 45+ minutes from home, I put off going there until I had another reason to be in the Toms River area. However, their vegan menu is so large and inclusive, and the food so freaking delicious, I am definitely going out of my way to go there.

My non-vegan boyfriend loved his vegan dish. The owner is also vegan and very friendly. You won't be disappointed with Via Roma! Especially if you're a vegan whose been dying for authentic Italian made compassionately & healthy!

Pros: Large vegan menu, Delicious, Affordable
mariaiswaycool
mariaiswaycool

The Best! Vegan and Gluten Free Options!

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

I am vegan, my boyfriend is gluten free. It can be pretty difficult to find restaurants we can both eat at. This restaurant is a great find, they have separate menus for gluten free and vegan. When you eat in, the atmosphere is typical ristorante/pizzeria that you can find anywhere in NJ, but the servers are well versed in gluten free and vegan options. The food is fantastic! I love the vegan chik'n parm and my boyfriend gets his gluten free spaghetti and and appetizer of gluten free garlic bread. I always have leftovers. I've also stopped by with a group of vegan friends and we love it because there are so many things to try. The owner stopped by our table to talk about the food and the desserts, which I get to go because I am stuffed by the end of the meal. I've tried 3 of the different gluten-free vegan cakes, and my favorite is the elvis cake -- banana cake with a layer of peanut butter frosting topped off with chocolate. The normal chocolate cake was good and the strawberry shortcake was a nice lighter cake.

If you are a vegan in the Toms River area, you have got to stop here for a meal. As was said in earlier reviews, it can be a slightly longer wait because they prepare everything fresh, but it is well worth the wait. Just go with a group of friends and you won't even realize you were waiting!

Pros: Vegan Italian Food, Gluten Free Italian, Friendly Staff
Cons: Wait Time

Candyce
Candyce

Perfect solution for mixed food type family!

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I am a commmitted vegan. My husband is not. My husband loves Italian Food. I miss pizza. Via Roma is the perfect solution. Once the owner Paul became vegan, he started to work this (and glutan free) into his business model. Win for me :) Complete vegan (and also gluten free, vegetarian) menus. Lots of choose from. For all of the food... prepare to wait a bit and enjoy your dinner company, because it is made when you order it. Great desserts available from Papa Ganache in Keyport. This is a great restaurant option when wanting to enjoy a meal with a "mixed group". The servings are ample. Not a cheap meal, but a delicious one. A book sits upfront with the ingredients used to answer any questions. Definitely include on your list of GOOD VEGAN EATS.

Pros: Vegan Owner, Mixed menu, good food
jcm13
jcm13
  • herbivore

Vegan Pizza is Good

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

Was visiting the beach and needed a place to eat at the end of the day and decided to try these guys. Vegan pizza was good and plenty of carnivore food for the rest of my family.

Pros: Make a good Vegan Pizza, Friendly Staff
Cons: Food did not all come out at same time
blossom9182
blossom9182

terrific

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

The food was terrific. Great service and a menu with so many vegan selections. I can't wait to go back. I have been there three times so far. I have had the chick'n parm, the eggplant parm and pizza. They were all terrific.

Pros: food, service , selection
passedout
passedout

So So.

3 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

I've been to Via Roma twice.

The first time I ate in the smaller seating area and ordered my food at the counter. I got a veggie stromboli. It was delicious. The owner was there and was very nice. They even had deserts from Papa Ganache Bakery.

The second time I didn't have as much luck. I sat in the dining room and enduring some pretty bad wait staff. Most of my food was cold by the time it got there. I ordered an eggplant parm dinner which seemed to be soaking in olive oil.

When I go back I will probably just opt to order from the counter and stick with the rolls/pizza.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Owner, Great Deserts
Cons: Bad Wait Staff
MikeV
MikeV

A Restaurant For Everyone

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

As a vegan living in this particular area, it is quite hard to go out to eat with friends and family and come away satisfied. Via Roma is a small establishment in a shopping mall that has managed a miracle. They cater to vegan's, vegetarian's and even the meat eaters. The other reviews have pretty much touted how good this place is and they aren't incorrect. The food is delicious and is a great respite for those days when you don't have time to cook but want something as healthy as possible. The tomato sauce here is "to die for" and one will be hard pressed to try to figure out all the delectable ingredients that goes in to making this such a lip smacking sauce.

Pros: Sizable vegan menu, tomato sauce to die for, friendly staff
Cons: a little pricey, vegan orders take a bit longer
tom3176
tom3176

fantastic

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2011

I have had dinner twice at via roma and both times it has been fantastic. The food, the service and the menu are great. The second time we came my friend ate gluten free and we ate vegan. You can not find a restaurant that has both menus. We can't wait to go back. See you there!

Pros: fantastic food, great service , so many choices
Guest
Guest

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

I went here tonight for dinner. I'm a strict vegan and found them on HappyCow.net They have a whole separate menu for vegans/vegetarians. If you let them know you are vegan, they will bring vegan butter with the bread and make awesome suggestions for food you should try. They cook the food in a separate section of the kitchen than the meat cooking. The staff is incredibly nice and helpful and most importantly- the food is DELICIOUS. It's well done, clean, and affordable. They offer dessert from Papa Ganache: the BEST local vegan bakery. Overall, one of the best dining experiences I've ever had- not to mention- completely cruelty free!

Pros: Friendly/Accommodating Staff, Great food, Good value
NicoleF
NicoleF

AMAZING!

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

I thought I was dreaming when I saw their vegan and vegaterian menu on the Happy Cow Ap.

When we got there I made my husband pinch me.

Everything was amazing even my meat eating brother loved his food. We had the Vegan boneless buffalo strips, Vegan Chicken Parm Subs, and the Vegan Elvis cake. Everything was TO DIE FOR.

I wish we lived closer so we could eat here all the time.

The owner even came over and made sure we liked everything. Real nice guy.

Pros: Tons of options, Great food, Clean place
Cons: Too far away from where I live
jules26
jules26

Via Roma

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

Via Roma is a dream come true. A whole menu dedicated to vegan/vegetarian items (and even gluten free items), in addition to their whole non-veg menu. Makes it great for "mixed-eater parties." The food is delicious and its just a great little treasure. Had a vegan whole-wheat pizza loaded with fresh veggies and yummy daiya cheese - delicious! Staff is nice..all around a great place. check it out.

AshleyxMichelle
AshleyxMichelle

Vegan and Gluten Free!

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2011

This place is awesome! So first off, the staff was so happy to have another vegan in the house. They made recommendations and asked questions. They have a separate with vegan, gluten free, and gluten free vegan foods when you ask for it! I am now vegan and gluten free, which is not the easiest diet to eat at restaurants with. So, I am so excited to go back! But I have tried the garlic bread, eggplant parmigiana, and papa ganache's cakes. The eggplant parmigiana is amazing. I stopped trying new things after discovering the best vegan eggplant parm ever! Oh and my meal was supposed to take longer due to the fact that they make it fresh, but I didn't notice!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Huge Menu, Huge Portions
jennsn
jennsn

Very Good Vegetarian Food at Via Roma's Restaurant

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2011

We ate here last Sunday with my family who are vegetarian and my Mom who is not a vegetarian. The menu offers many vegan and vegetarian options in addition to a regular menu including all the traditional Italian dishes. We enjoyed our food very much. My husband and I were very impressed with the many vegetarian options....the owner even has a book which details all of the ingredients they use in their recipes. They cater to individuals who have a gluten-free diet as well. Would return here to eat and to take out when visiting my Mom who lives in Toms River and would recommend to other vegetarian diners.

Pros: good food, many choices, friendly
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

Everthing you could want in a pizzeria...

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2011

Veganized! This is what happens when a pizza place realizes how many vegans there are out there, they increase their business because of it! You can get vegan pizza, strombolis, ziti, lasagna, and more! They even have gluten free options.

Cons: serves meat
Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan

Vegan Paradise

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2010

What a spectacular find. This little gem of a restaurant is nestled unobtrusively in a strip mall off Rt. 9 in Toms River, but boy oh boy, as a vegan, I felt as though I had been transported to some gastronomic utopia upon being seated and opening my menu! Choices, choices, and more CHOICES! (Have I mentioned I had choices?) We were in town for our wedding, and had our vegan caterer fell through on us. After attempting to contact a few places, we had all but given up on getting any hot food that I would be able to enjoy for our reception, and then I stumbled upon this place here on HappyCow. Oh, what a find! First of all, the owner, Paul, is a sweetheart of the highest degree. He is friendly, knowledgeable, and so wonderfully accommodating. He is the type of restaurant owner who genuinely cares about his customers experiences. We spoke at a distance until our arrival in Jersey, and then went to dinner to try out the food the next evening. My best friend, fiance, and I went, and it was such a pleasure to dine at a restaurant where we could all eat happily and comfortably. I didn't have to search the menu for the one thing I could eat or ingredients in other dishes I might be able to ask them to use something edible for a vegan. I got my very own menu! There is a "regular" menu, a vegan, and a gluten-free, with everything labeled for ease. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful, and their gluten-free bread is to die for! I had one of the best meals I have had in some time - the vegan eggplant parmesan made with Daiya cheese. It wasn't overly sauced or loaded with the "cheese", but perfectly balanced for a blissful culinary experience. My husband was so excited to see me so happy with my meal, he insisted we go back the next day for lunch. That wasn't enough, and the night before our wedding, we took our friends and headed back. One of my friends is not only a vegetarian, but has a host of crazy food allergies. Paul came out himself, large bag of Daiya and box of breadcrumbs in hand so that he could help her navigate the ingredient list. THe eggplant parm that we ordered for our wedding was a huge hit - by people all along the dietary spectrum - including two lactose intolerant friends who were thrilled not to have to take a pill in order to enjoy their food. It would be impossible for me to say enough nice things about this place. Worth the trip from anywhere! My only complaint is we live in Denver, and it's just too far for takeout!

Pros: AMAZING food, Incredible staff, Choices
Cons: Not in Denver!
rzebrasky
rzebrasky

Extravagant vegan options for a wonderful price!

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2010

They have 2 menus, one for regular menu items and a whole separate menu (6-7 pages) for vegan, vegetarian and gluten free items. The portions are huge and they don't skimp on the vegan cheese, which is Daiya by the way! We had vegan bruschetta, side salads, vegan eggplant parmigiana which was bigger than either one of us could have eaten and a small vegan stomboli that was NOT small by any means, which was great! They also had 3 vegan dessert options which change but we had carrot cake and banana chocolate cake. All this and drinks was only $40.39!
Food took a little longer to cook but that is because the vegan stuff is made fresh! The waitress was great and friendly but didn't know much about vegan options but she made the effort to find out and give us very detailed descriptions. The dining area was nice and you could get away with jeans and a t shirt but its also a place where you could where a dress and khakis and a polo shirt.
Great place will be back whenever we are in the area!

Pros: VEGAN MENU, GLUTEN FREE MENU, FRESHLY MADE
realfoodlover
realfoodlover

Delish, Incredible Menu, and Great Price!!!

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2010

I am a gluten free vegan and have a hard time finding real food that meets those tricky needs. Via Roma has a HUGE gluten free, vegetarian and vegan menu. From apps to salads to pizza, breads, subs, desserts, and drinks, there are pages of fabulous food. My husband eats meat and gluten and we both agree that the meal was fabulous! I can't say enough about the quality and the price! Unreal find!!!! The owner is super friendly and was happy to give us nutritional information. Try it, you will love it.

Pros: Gluten Free Menu, Veg and Vegan Menu, Inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Via Roma Pizza and Restaurant: