CLOSED: Very Healthy Food

Organic vegan restaurant serving soup, salad, falafel, and smoothies. Has wheatgrass and many kinds of organic teas. Raw vegan menu on Wednesday and Thursday is 3-course for 12-13 euro. Reported closed to HappyCow Sept 2013. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Raw, Organic, Buffet, Irish, Western

DIANE240378
DIANE240378

my favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

I love this place, its so unusual yet so simple,delicious&creative. I love everything on menu but my favorite is definitely the pizza. Oh my god i have never tasted something as good as this especially the tomatoe sauce made with dates &tomatoes sweet &savoury wow great combination&the base was nice too&which was even better you feel fab afterwards not slugglish like you do after normal pizzas. I love the dressings in vhf, all the dishes are so yummy with the dressings. The staff are all fab too as they would give you the recipes&are delighted to give free info/education on raw food. The juices are lovely too with great combinations. The buffets are great value &very tasty. I always buy teas,dressings or berries when i am there as they sell lovely things. Whether you are vegan or not try this place as its a treat.

Pros: cheap, creative&tasty, great staff
Leafn4give
Leafn4give

• raw

Great raw vegan food in Cork

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

Luck was smiling on us when Quay Coop recommended trying VHF for raw vegan food. We turned up on the raw vegan buffet night and were treated to a 3 course meal that was well endowed with sprouted beans and seeds. So pleased with it that we went back the next night. We weren't disappointed.

Pros: Unique, Helpful, Raw
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Decent, healthy, great staff

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

The restaurant serves what its name implies: very healthy food. Raw food is great every once in a while, but this isn't somewhere I would eat every night.

For what it was, it was really good. You could tell the ingredients were very fresh, and the smoothies were great! The 'falafel' isn't really what the name implies, and you might be let-down, if you order it.

Overall, the food was good, and the staff was super nice - even giving us tourist ideas on things to see in Ireland.

Pros: All-vegan, Friendly
Cons: Falafel isn't really falafel
taffboy72
taffboy72

A great little vegan place everyone should support

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

Cork's long been ok for veggies/vegans even if via Quay Co-op alone.But this sweet innovative cafe certainly adds to the range. 5-10 mins walk from the centre(depending where you start from) it's hardly on some remote back street, but it is away from the main bustle, which is a plus. I was with locals so had no trouble finding it.I couldn't guarantee the same for visitors,but a basic map should mean no probs.A radical left/anarchist bookshop opposite underscores a somewhat alternative/boho chic.I have only been once and can't say I paid loads of attention to the menu, but it seems to heavily lean to the raw which is fantastic - something we don't see enough of,and a niche hopefully destined to succeed (this is only my second raw EVER - the other being the more swish 'Saf' in London). VHF has a nice homely vibe, reasonable range at competitive prices (falafel,bread and some salad at 7.5E, Soup at 4E).That description alone really doesn't do the nosh justice. It is quite unlike any other falafel I have ever had, once my friend (who got to it first) got me past the idea of it not being hot (raw doesn't have to mean "cold" as I understand-more cooked below body temp I think),I have to say it was delicious, familiar and unusual all at once. What actually stood out most to me was the bean side salad, not usually something I'd give 2 thoughts to. The soup (spicy aduki bean) was slightly less to where I was at but the idea was great and my mate loved it. Salt would probably have made it for me, but I didn't get round to it. A wheatgrass based smoothie with too much other stuff in it to mention was a lot more accessible than most wheatgrass stuff I have had ('endured' is often a better word). All in all this will be a great find for Corkonians, visitors, vegans and ominvores alike. Genuinelly different without being at all intimidating. Affordable and tasty with interesting textures. Opening hours seem stable. There have an all you can buffet for 9E on a Wednesday eve. Best to check their website/FB page for finer detail I guess. Support this great small business. I certainly will each time I'm over. PS:The coffee point in "cons"-they don't have it-genuine commitment to health. I don't know why this would preclude decaff, maybe you'll ask. There's a vast array of other hot drinks and smoothies though, and it ain't like it's for ever, even for crazed addicts like moi. And risking custom for principle is actually very admirable methinks.

Pros: Totally vegan , Even feels really ealthy, Nice ambience in quiet part of town
Cons: Map might be useful if u aint local., No coffee may bug some
yence
yence

I'll come back

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

I took a few minutes walk from Cork city center to find the nice and yellow house of "very healthy food".
It's much closer than I assumed by looking at the map. Most meals are raw, everything is vegan and organic.
I had the raw pizza with different toppings and I'm very pleased.
As I spend another half day in Cork I will come back for Lunch tomorrow to try some other possibilities that all sound nice.
And I am already looking forward to it because the atmosphere and the people are both great.

Pros: excellent taste, great atmosphere, full vegan & organic
Cons: closes at 7 pm

Stevie
Stevie

Very Healthy Food, Cork

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

I was here yesterday for lunch and found this an interesting place.

Location is approx a 2 min walk away from the South channel of the river in central Cork.

The emphasis is very much geared towards healthy eating as you would expect. There's quite a slant but by no means exclusively to war food. That includes for example what is billed on the menu as falafel but is in fact a faw food version (not something I tried). Everything is not only vego but indeed vegan. As well as being a cafe they also offer a small number of things that they sell as part of a health food shop.

There is much decoration related to Indian culture. Also there is an area at the back that appears to be a meditation area. This is slightly elevated like a stage and I am told by the very friendly girl working there that they have various performances taking place there.

For much of the time I was there, I was the only person in. The girl working there and I jibbered about any old things while she cut and chopped and sliced away while preping my meal. They do various meal deals and for I think it was around 8.45 euros I had a soup, hot food sandwich with salad, a chocolate and a cup of liquorice tea. It was all very nice and seemed good value.

The girl working says there may be expansion of the menu in 2012. This may be a good idea in my humble view as while the place has its merits, Cork isn't the biggest place in the world and there is already Quay Coop & Cafe Paradiso offering competition for a limited market in a time of economic downturn.

Pros: 100% vegan vego, Central, Nice staff
NickiFfrenchDavis
NickiFfrenchDavis

Delicious

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2011

Great tasting food and super healthy of course - Pat really cares about what he's doing and you can tell. Nice vibe too, there's nothing else like it in Cork.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Very Healthy Food: