Vertical Diner

Vegan diner serving down-home comfort food and breakfast all day. Specialties include fried faux chicken, blueberry pancakes, and hand cut french fries. Also serving fair trade coffee, tea, chocolate, and cocktails. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Roethke
Navegante
Navegante

A MUST-VISIT restaurant in Salt Lake!!

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

So, the location and building aren't ritzy or fancy by any means, but the place has personality and I'm not a snob when it comes to finding good food. The staff are friendly. The food is great and ALL VEGAN. Good value for what we paid. No complaints.

TIP * (Monday nights are 'meatless Monday' and you get a discount on your ticket - see their webpage or FB page for details)

Update: I've really come to love their pancakes and breakfast food here - served all day! My family and I like these pancakes better than anywhere else (vegan or not)!

Update 2: The breaded chicken sandwich is so addicting! Also, I recently contacted the owners about something and I was so impressed at the way they handled the situation. We eat here at least once per week, and will continue do so. I love this place!

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Staff are friendly, Really good pancakes and breakfast
Cons: No ice in the water
Samiee1234
Samiee1234

the best vegan food ever

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

I love the environment this place has to offer! No matter what you try here everything is delicious! Definitely 5 stars, amazing!!

vegankiddo
vegankiddo

Best vegan diner

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I ate at Vertical 2 times in only 3 days spent in Salt Lake AND ordered food to go for the road, it's THAT GOOD. I think this is the best vegan comfort food I've ever had (that I didn't cook myself). Everything we tried was amazing!

warmstorage
warmstorage

Delicious!

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

A solid vegan diner option, serving up the kind of vegan food I love: vegan comfort food.

A broad menu with lots of options, moderate prices, very friendly people.

The prices aren't cheap for SLC, but they aren't terrible either. My breaded chicken sandwich buffalo style was $8.75, which is totally fair for the extremely tasty sandwich i got, but changing out the default side from carrot sticks or plain tortilla chips to fries, salad, etc, is a $3 uptick. I like that the base price point is low, but $3 for fries or mashed potatoes seems a bit excessive.

That said, the sandwich was wonderful: it's relatively rare, and a happy occurrence, when i don't feel the need to add salt, hot sauce, or other condiments to my food. This has a ton of flavor, and needed nothing else.

I'll absolutely go back!

Pros: delicious, vegan! and tons of options!
Cons: expensive sides

teafour2
teafour2

WOW, an american vegan diner

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

This place is great, one of the favourites from my recent US trip (and we ate out a lot). The so-so stuff first; yes it is in a bit of a crummy neighbourhood, yes the building is a bit run down. But we were on holiday to the US and wanted american style dinning (but vegan) and this place delivered! The decor gives it the quintessential diner feel, and the menu backs that up with buffalo wings, ranch dressing, burgers, fries, donuts, shakes - I even had my first biscuits and gravy - but everything is vegan. The waitress was super helpful and man did the food taste good. Even after the mountain of food we ate, the bill was something like $50. I love this place.

Pros: everything vegan, huge novelty eating 'american' veganfood, in expensive
Cons: a little out of the way
scwolves
scwolves

what a selection - YAY!

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

This place ROCKS. The menu is extensive, including anytime breakfast! Took 3 carnivore friends and they ALL loved their meals (including a Reuben, a Burrito, a huge diverse salad, and Chicken Biscuit Pie). We had a shared appetizer of buffalo wings. Shared a dessert of a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich. ALL OF IT WAS SERVED AND PREPARED PERFECTLY. Service was top notch too...the waiter helped my friends make a selection they were super pleased with and patiently explained, when asked, "what is.....??"
This place is a gem and you should get there....I am absolutely going back for more!!

Pros: 100% plant based menu, OPTIONS galore!, not crowded
Vegetarian1994
Vegetarian1994

My favorite vegan restaurant!!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2013

I cannot say enough about this delicious restaurant!! My family and I make a point to stop here each time we visit SLC and have been very pleased with everything we've tried. Our picky 18 month old even enjoys the food!!

Pros: Unique menu, Delicious , Great portions
Cons: Too far from me
SummerPerkins
SummerPerkins

LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

Vertical is my very favorite vegan restaurant and I visit at every opportunity. The staff is very friendly and I like the casual diner atmosphere, complete with lunch counter. My favorite foods are the pancakes (WAY better than any omni pancakes I've eaten), the Horizontal Chili, the Avo Sub, and the La Mesa breakfast, which will easily feed me twice. I like getting carrot sticks with my sandwich instead of greasy fries, and I like that the staff will talk with you at length about what goes into the food--an important bonus if you're eating for health. The coffee is also fantastic, which is important for a girl who likes to go out to breakfast! I find the prices very reasonable for the product you get.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff
hurricane_an
hurricane_an

Sehr gut

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

War heute mit meinem Freund dort essen. Die Gegend ist etwas scary, aber das Diner und das Essen waren echt toll. Hier gibt es veganes Fast Food. Es war sehr lecker und das Personal sehr freundlich. Die Preise waren okay. Haben 25$ zu zweit bezahlt plus 5$ Tip.

Pros: Essen Geschmack, Auswahl, Freundlichkeit
Cons: Gegend
niktay
niktay

Good Food - but turned off by atmosphere

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

I really liked the food that I tried. The service was great with some really nice people.
But I just had a hard time with the run down joint and the flies everywhere! I sat down in the bench and sank because of the lack of support and then had to keep swatting away flies during the meal.
I really enjoyed the couple dishes I tried and it's a shame that I was so turned off by the atmosphere so much that I probably won't make an effort to go back.
I guess if you are in the area, it's worth a try and maybe the atmosphere won't bother you. But it's a shame it isn't in a better location and a better kept restaurant.

SunnySusi
SunnySusi

Soul-satisfying, stick-to-your-ribs Happy Food

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

This is a great place for vegan comfort food! I live about 4 hours away in the middle of rural cattle country in Wyoming, and this is my default restaurant for grabbing a bite to eat when I go to Salt Lake.

They make their own sausage, which is very good. I love the Phili Cheese Sandwich with their sausage and cheese sauce made from nutritional yeast. Other things I like on the menu are some of the savory breakfast dishes, including scrambled tofu.

I love their food, and the mashed potatoes are awesome, although as one person remarked, they add $3 to the price for the side of mashed potatoes.

If I stick to the main dish, then the prices are extremely reasonable -- most of my favorites meals are about $8.

Pros: Comfort Food, Very Filling , Awesome homemade sausage
MarzipanBreadLoaf
MarzipanBreadLoaf

Best Vegan Diner

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

I pretty much make a habit of coming here every Sunday for brunch. Really good vegan breakfast food. Served at all hours. Vegan milkshakes! What's not to love?

BlackJackJones
BlackJackJones

Overpriced but good

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

I love Vertical. I just have a hard time with how expensive the food is. Most things have probably a 300% markup. They suck you in with the meal but only give you a couple carrots as a side. They will add a small side of fries or hashbrowns or mashed potatoes for an additional $4. Making your meal around $15+ when you leave. That's not including beverages. They have many good options. But, if you want to eat cheap. Skip the add-ons and try to get some of the specials.

Pros: Good food, good atmosphere
Cons: overpriced, small portions
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Comfort Vegan Food in SLC

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

Reasonably priced, vegan comfort food. Pretty impressive for SLC! Try the breakfast, although not perfect, quite good. Really liked the house made vegan sausage, disliked the tempeh bacon.

Pros: hearty vegan breakfast
Cons: they could spruce the place up a bit
SLC
SLC

My favorite place in Utah

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2012

...and probably beyond. I got off the plane and drove straight there because, yes, it's that great. The only thing I don't really care for is their Ranchero dish because it's not ranchero anything and very greasy. But nevermind that, because everthing else is delicious and it's just a cool place all around. The BLT with Seitan is the best!

Pros: Great food, micro-brews, location
LollyDuRand
LollyDuRand

A-MAZING!

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

I love Vertical Diner! We have been there a couple of times and have never been disappointed. Who doesn't love breakfast all day!?

Unfortunately, if you like your breakfast before 10AM, they aren't open. This was our only disappointment.

Great CHICKEN SANDWICHES and MILK SHAKES! DELISH!

Pros: best food ever, chicken sandwich rocks, cozy atmosphere
Cons: not open early enough
RainyMapleLogan
RainyMapleLogan

Absolutely amazing and alt!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

Took a trip into SLC while visiting my mom in law in Utah. What a gem. Great free alternative mags, really changed my view of SLC.

Pros: Great food, prices, staff
Cons: we don't have one near me!
MattyB
MattyB

Wish I lived in SLC

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2012

Delicious comfort food. Had the biscuits and gravy with a piece of fried chicken and a Philly cheese steak with the sausage which was amazing. Brownie for dessert. Will definitely be back next time I'm anywhere close.

Guest
Guest

Great find after a long drive

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

The food was amazing. It was exactly what I was looking for. I was so hungry for something with substance and this restaurant was just what I was looking for :)

Pros: excellent food
dara
dara

Best Vegan Food in SLC

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

I was only in Salt Lake City for 2 days and after the first visit to Vertical Diner, I knew I had to come back the next day. The following items were very delicious: pancake (my all-time favorite), apple-pie stuffed french toast, potato wedges, and tofu scramble. I also ordered the grilled cheese which was a bit too cheesy for my taste, but still very tasty.

If I were in Salt Lake City for longer, I would probably go back every day so I could try more menu items. The menu is huge and the worst part of the whole dining experience is knowing that you cannot possibly order everything and inevitably you will miss out on something delicious.

This place is a must-go. The portions are good, the price is right, and the food is delish!

Pros: Food Variety, Food Flavor, Service
veggiefox
veggiefox

Great Food!

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2011

I stopped here on a recent road trip. I was amazed to find such an awesome place. The food was great. I had their jalapeno burger, and it was messy, but good. I also had their buffalo tigers, and those were wonderful.

The atmosphere was cozy. The prices were fair. The only drawback: they were busy and the waitress seemed overwhelmed. It could take a while to get service.

Overall, this place made me wish I lived in Salt Lake City.

Pros: tasty food, good atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: not enough staff
LadyVolsFreakDeb
LadyVolsFreakDeb

Awesome vegan fair!

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

Thanks to Happy Cow, I found this restaurant during my recent trip to Salt Lake City. The menu had depth, the service was nice and friendly, and the food was fantastic. I had the Chicken Biscuit Pie. It was flavorful and each bite gave me a little be different tastes. Will definitely dine there again before I leave.

Pros: Great food, All vegan, Extensive menu
NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Awesome place!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2011

After looking up vegan friendly restaurants on happycow before my trip out west, I got sooo excited to try this place! And I was not disappointed at all!

Food: I got an appetizer of biscuits and gravy... YUM! Such a treat to have a vegan version of this! For my meal, I got the chicken pot pie (really a "chicken" stew biscuit). Even though I had a lot of biscuits between the appetizer and meal, I was not sick of biscuits! It was all very tasty. My boyfriend had a veggie burger, which I tasted a piece of and that it to be average. I would love to try pretty much everything on the menu, and if I ever go back to SLC, I will surely be going to this diner!

Prices: I'd say not too bad given that it's all vegan and uses local ingredients, if I'm not mistaken.

Atmosphere: Not bad but not particularly good either... sort of a typical very low key, casual type restaurant... more like a cafe than a diner, I'd say. I personally destested the 90's top 40 music that was playing, but since that's my biggest complaint about the experience, honestly that's no big deal!

Staff: VERY helpful and VERY friendly!

Pros: Great menu, Great tasting food, Friendly/helpful staff
Sara Muniz
Sara Muniz

Just my type.

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

This is definitely one of my favorite places to eat, overall. I'll admit some places have some better food, and theyre a bit bigger, but I just love the staff and atmosphere everytime I go. Very good food, cozy, friendly, and good portions for what you pay. :) yum! Buritos are great, so are the nachos, and burgers, theyre raw salad is one of my fav things to eat there :).

Pros: Atmosphere, good prices, yummy
Cons: location
sirrahfay
sirrahfay

extra delicouse!

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2011

Awesome spot...all vegan extra delicouse home cooking with good music.

Pros: so yummy, beat gravy ever, good vibes
StephanieLauffer
StephanieLauffer

Wish I was a local!

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2011

On a recent road trip I stopped in at the Vertical Diner for lunch. It wasn't far from my hotel in SLC & the reviews made it a must stop.
I had the Jerk Chickn Sandwich & chips & salsa - So good! The sandwich had great flavor & the salsa was homemade excellent!
The funky atmosphere of the diner makes me wish I was a local - this would totally be my hangout of choice. I can't wait to visit again on my next trip to SLC!

Pros: healthy cuisine, tasty food, friendly staff
kayceebassett
kayceebassett

Amazing!

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

I love Vertical! It is by far the best and my favorite vegan restaurant in Utah! I am more of a simple eater, so Vertical is perfect for me. That everything from "burgers" and fries, to mashed potatoes, "chicken" pot pies, "chicken" strips and beer. It is a great diner with simple tasty food! I recommend their garlic mashed potatoes, buffalo fries, tender tigers, taco salad and "chicken" pot pie. But everything is amazing!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Cool Environment
Gabbeveg
Gabbeveg

Best Vegan in Salt Lake!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

I love Vertical! They are inexpensive, totally vegan, and great laid back atmosphere. I would always recommend this place.

CarolineH
CarolineH

Wonderful Food, Decent Service

3 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

This place is really close to my apartment in SLC so it's definitely a favorite. The food is so SO good. There is a good variety of flavors and portions so everyone can find something. And the portions are large, which in my book is usually a good thing. The only things that I think could be improved upon are the ambiance and the service. All the servers are very nice and very helpful, but they are just a bit slow even on nights when there are only two or three others in the restaurant. And of course, the ambiance is similar to that of an old diner, but I think it is too small to contain the live bands they have playing there almost every night. But overall a great place to get good food!

Pros: Great Food, Good Portion Sizes
Cons: Slow Service, Noisy
Tigra220
Tigra220

SLC Yumness

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

I visited Vertical Diner twice: 1st- when I arrived in Salt Lake City & 2nd- when I left the next morning. I tried the Tender Tiger (fried chicken tenders on a stick), their hand-cut fries, Jamaican You Dream (jerk-flavored "chicken" fajitas), and The Avalanche. Everything was flavorful and tasty. The pancakes were very good. I don't like ranch (not even vegan ranch) so the waitress gave me a "fry sauce" which was delicious with the fries and the tenders. Ask for it when you go. I also tried the brownie a la mode. It was just okay. I've had some blow your mind vegan brownies so theirs just didn't cut it. The ice cream tasted like So Delicious, so it wasn't homemade or anything. Nonetheless, my waitress (same wonderful girl on both days) was extremely welcoming, helpful, and super-nice, and all of the entrees and appetizers were very good. If I'm ever in SLC again I'd definitely go back.

Pros: nice staff, 100% vegan
AmberLee
AmberLee

Good alternative when Sage's is closed!

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

Our friendly server at Sage's told us that we should try Vertical. So we did (but only because Sage's was closed when we wanted to go). And I'm quite glad we did. Unfortunately I did not try this place until my last day in Utah. I would have loved to go back and try other foods.

I ordered the mushroom cheese'steak'. It was delicious. It's so hard to believe that cheese was vegan!! Yummy!

The staff was fun and energetic. They were very helpful with the menu.

The night we went they were having a Vegan Drinks meeting in the backroom. I had to listen in. It sounded like so much I fun. I was envious and wanted to move to SLC right then. When I got home I researched Vegan Drinks and found that Iowa has it's very own chapter. Cool!

This place is definitely worth the stop. It's very casual, inexpensive, yet friendly while delivering tasty food!

Pros: Inexpensive, tasty
Marxist Vegan
Marxist Vegan

Vegan Eating in Mormonland

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2010

This place was a pleasant surprise. Who would've guessed an entirely vegan diner could exist in the heart of Mormonland? The service was excellent, the food was delicious, and the prices were fair for vegan fare. Jamie our server was a down guy who promptly delivered our excellent food. Of course we had to top it off with a peanut butter brownie for dessert. This is my place whenever I return to Salt Lake City.

Pros: Fair Prices, Great Food, Good Service
Zegan
Zegan

Vegan diner - sweet!

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

Vertical Diner is a special treat for vegans. Has a genuine "old time" diner feel and a great selection of appealing menu items. The food was delicious.

Pros: Awesome mashed potatoes, yummy dessert
Cons: off the beaten path
VeganNikki
VeganNikki

Absolutely Delicious!!

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2009

This is the best diner in Salt lake city no doubt! Its very affordable, great staff, absolutely delicious meals! If I could eat there every day I would.

Pros: DELICIOUS! , AFFORDABLE!, GREAT PORTIONS!
neekole
neekole

mmm

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

if you like sage's, you'll love vertical. it's the same great food, but bigger and cheaper portions. best vegan blueberry pancakes i've ever had. a big breakfast menu. also, just like sage's, they make the best (thickest) vegan shakes! the chocolate peanut butter is my favorite. tender tigers are great. pretty much everything on the menu will make one happy.

it is also near the trax stop on 2100 s, you just have to walk south on west temple for a few blocks.

Pros: variety, value, service
Veganoid
Veganoid

Vertical Yumminess

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

Being a HUGE fan of Sage's, I was pretty excited about Vertical Diner. The food is awesome! I love the taco salad and almost everything else I've tried. Though, I'm not a very big fan of tomato sauce and cheese TOGETHER. Regardless, the service is wonderful and eating there is surely a must.

Pros: Seriously Awesome Service, Very Good Food
bobbyarroyo
bobbyarroyo

Wish It Was in California

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2009

The "Breaded Chicken Sandwich" with ranch sauce was pleasantly filling and flavorful. I took two of my non-vegan friends who agreed the food was delicious. One of them, a meat-eater, has since converted to a vegan diet; I don't know if it was because of the free vegan literature offered.

It's rare to see a vegan diner in southern California. This was a rare treat to me.

Pros: friendly staff, appetizing food, fast service
Cons: small selection
minirunner2
minirunner2

Fantastic!!

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

We have been to the vertical diner several times and I have never been dissapointed. The food is amazing! My kids love the chocolate chip pancakes and beg us to take them to vertical diner all the time.

This is also a great place to take non-veg friends and family. My parents LOVE this place and my dad is picky about veg food.

The brownie sundae is a MUST, it is delicious! The service is always great, although on weekends when it's busy it may take longer to get your food, well worth the wait though. I also love that it is a kid friendly place. I highly recommend vertical diner if you are ever in SLC.

Pros: Great food, Great service , kid friendly
Deano
Deano

walking back to happiness

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2007

This was meant to be breakfast but we took so long to walk there it became lunch. It was worth the wait, though. Good value food and to-die-for soy shakes. And the Aussie waitress gave us a free chocolate brownie "for the walk back". This place is a little cracker - but don't walk there from town (like we did) because it'll take an hour.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, amazing soy shakes
Cons: a LONG walk from town
Roethke
Roethke

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2007

The food was delicious, service was great and friendly, and the prices were maybe even a little too low. I make a point of visiting at least once whenever I'm in town.

Pros: delicious, all vegan, cheap

Dear Owner and Manager of Vertical Diner: