Moved back its original locations in 2014. Reservations are required. Each morning and evening, offers an Afro-Caribbean buffet which includes juices with 1 day in advance reservation required. Also offers cooking classes, health consultations, tours, transportation, hostel and accommodation. Directions: from bus stop walk 100m inland & then left to go down the main street (with the ocean on your left) toward El Diamante Supermarket, then go 50m farther, then take a right on a small dirt road, go 1.5 blocks, and it'll be on the left. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Raw, Caribbean, Buffet, Juice bar
Main Street, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (opposite supermarket)
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
506-750-0132, 506-810-1369

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by Medikitten06
choogirl
choogirl

Good veggie restaurant

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

I ate here three times, which included the raw burrito, coconut and beans and a vegan pancake. My favourite was the coconut rice and beans. I also really, really liked the Black Mamba coconut and cacao dessert, which is more of a drink than a dessert. Veronica's Place is a good choice in the town centre.

Pros: Good range of vegan and raw food
Cons: Bible music seems to always be playing.
kjvicki
kjvicki

Good Breakfast!

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

Went for scrambled tofu breakfast. It came with the best rice and beans I ever had, along with a sauce to pour on top. DELICIOUS! Great healing drinks and teas, too!
Be careful of one thing...the tip is included! We thought it was the tax, and tipped on top of it!

Pros: Food, Herbal teas

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

I had lunch at Veronica's Place this Sunday, and I enjoyed the whole experience! Veronica was in the kitchen, and she offered excellent recommendations from the menu. She also explained that all of their produce is grown in her own organic garden which was so wonderful to hear. The carrot tart was absolutely delicious, and the ginger-starfruit juice is just as divine as it looks. Hopefully, one day I can return for seconds!

lisahake
lisahake

Try the Carrot Cakes!

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

They are a lovely savory dish reminiscent of crab cakes. The restaurant is open-air on the second floor, with the sound of the waves crashing in the background.

sroot19
sroot19

Great!

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

I was very excited to check out this vegetarian, vegan, and raw food restaurant during my stay in Puerto Viejo. When I did, I was very happy with the service. Veronica was like family, with her magic juices and teas to heal many common ailments. I went in daily for a tea or juice. And the food was amazing; and she caters to your desires; if you want pancakes in the evening, then so be it. It felt like visiting family when I went there.

Pros: healthy, friendly, good location
Cascadian
Cascadian

The best vegan option in Puerto Viejo by far

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2011

Veronica's offers good food with friendly service and a nice atmosphere. It is in just about as central of a location as you can get in Puerto Viejo. I was very happy to have this all vegetarian and very vegan-friendly place in a town (and country) that is otherwide very meat/seafood centered. I would give Veronica's 3 1/2 cows if I could as it is certainly better than average.

cantorveg
cantorveg

I wish I could add more stars!

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

A meal at Veronica's in itself demands a visit to the beautiful Caribbean coast. The food and freshly made juices are the perfect food to revive you after the five hour bus ride from San Jose or an active day in the rain forest. Veronica and her husband are so sweet and welcoming that you can't help but feel the love.

I had Veronica's veggie burger, which oozed with deliciousness. It was seriously the best burger I've ever had and is topped with a sweet and tangy carrot tart/slaw that ups the burger from stellar to mind-blowing! The raw burritos are also amazing, filled with a refreshing tomato and zesty avocado cream. Make sure you order a juice for the ultimate feel-good effect, the cucumber one is particularly refreshing on a hot day. Don't leave before ordering some homemade fruit-based ice cream.

Then, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT!

Pros: Amazing food, Loving and friendly staff, All produce comes from their own garden
Sarah P
Sarah P

healthy, fresh & delicios

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

I ate here at the end of December 2010 and was delighted with the choices on the menu. Many vegan breakfast items including pancakes.

Brown rice was only offered in the daily plate, so I ordered that with carrot croquettes, and it also came with a small portion of beans and a cabbage salad. The whole meal was a pretty filling size.

I also ordered the milkshake that had banana, peanut butter and chocolate- absolutely delicious and highly recommended! Many other juices and shakes were on the menu.

I also ordered the raw "stir-fry" to go for the next day- it was julienned vegetables with a tahini-like sauce. While healthy, I would have rather saved the 3,200 colones for a different meal. The raw menu also included burritos & pesto wraps.

Many plates come with options of "meat substitutes" that include some TVP, but also fresh-made vegetable options. The location is cute & calming.

Vegan baked goods were also sold- cookies and miniature pies were sold that day, but unfortunately the coconut bread was sold out.

Altogether I spent about $20 for 2 meals and a shake.

Pros: Wide selection of cooked & raw, Staff knowledgeable & helpful, English spoken
Cons: Cash only, Chrisian music playing, Not inexpensive
atom
atom

The Best Vegan Food on my Trip!

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

I was travelling through Central America for 2 Months and tried several differend Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurants, but this was definitely the best! Veronica is such a nice and helpful person, and also a very good cook! And also the prices are more than good for this area.
All of their fruits and vegetables are grwon on Veronicas own organic farm (its also possible to volunteer there!).

I can also recommend the cooking class: If you are interested in cooking, she we'll give you a good introduction of how to do it the caribbean way.

Pros: excellent food, friendliest stuff, good atomsphere
aruggiero
aruggiero

Wonderful Restaurant

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2010

We were in Puerto Viejo for 8 days and we ate at Veronica's about 5 times. The food was incredible! My husband was having problems with his stomach one night and Veronica made him a tea that got him back to normal in less than an hour! I had the Gallo Pinto for breakfast with seitan steaks and my husband had banana pancakes. Everything was awesome and Veronica is the sweetest lady you will ever meet!

Pros: Wonderful Food, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

fantastic casados

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2010

During my stay in Puerto Veijo, I walked by Veronicas several times since it is conveniently located in the middle of this little beach town. I only had the chance to eat here once, but wish I had come more often.
I found the menu a bit limited but didnt expect to find much in the first place. It was quiet and I had the whole patio to myself. After eating there, Veronica waved to me everytime I passed by on my way to the beach. Stop by and enjoy a meal here.

Pros: location, tasty, healthy
megatofu
megatofu

So glad we found it!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2009

I had read reviews of Veronica's on HappyCow.net and was so glad I followed the signs to find it! It was off the beaten path, but if you're like me, you welcome that in Puerto Viejo. It's not a touristy place at all. You basically eat in the carport outside of Veronica's house. My partner and I both ordered the casados, which consisted of salad, rice and beans, plantains and some soy meat. It was delicious! We each had a beverage and with tip our total was $15! It was the best food we ate in Puerto Viejo. No one else was there when we were there and Veronica was great. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: Food, Veronica
waxnumber3
waxnumber3

Great service

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2009

I really enjoyed our experience at Veronica's. There seemed to be a lot of people coming and going while we were there (Veronica's family perhaps??) and they all asked how we were doing and made sure we had everything we needed. My partner ordered the banana pancakes, which were delicious. I am not a big fan of fake meat and didn't realize it was going to be in the pasta I ordered, so I wasn't quite as excited about my meal as I was about the pancakes, but I just ate around it and I'm sure it would be great if you like that sort of thing. The side of lentils that came with my dish was excellent. We were happy to have the option of soy milk for our coffee and tea.

Pros: lovely people, soy milk
Cons: seemed to be open random hours
jkbartol
jkbartol

Delightful

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2008

Veronica rules! The intro says that there isnt a menu but when we went there were menus. The menus don't matter too much because Veronica wants to/ and will, cook you anything you want. the first time we ate there we ordered off of the menu her Caribbean vegetables with grilled plantains, mashed potatos with her vegan gravy and an order of her banana pancakes (we had her make them vegan and they were awesome). the second night we were in viejo, a local had her make him some of her fried rice with her wheat gluten steak and it looked good so we ordered that and it was phenomenal. a must see when you are in costa rica.

veronica and her family are a bunch of sweethearts, if we go to costa again we will definately eat there again.

wendystrebe
wendystrebe

special hidden place

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

Veronica is great. She is really putting out some good vegetarian and vegan food. Her seitan is good, but her rice, beans, salad and patacones are the best!! Tough to find, but worth it.

Pros: interesting place, good food, exceeds expectations
Cons: location
Kailee
Kailee

great restaurant

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2007

I just wanted to point out that this restaurant is NOT in Limon, but in Puerto Viejo. I would recommend going there if you are in town, though you have to look for it, you probably won't just happen to come across it. It has a very homely feel; Veronica's son i think was sitting watching tv next to us while we were eating and some girls who were staying with her later came around. The food was really good!

bridgettebernys
bridgettebernys

best banana pancakes!

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2007

Veronicas was delightful! The food and drinks were delicious and all of the staff was so hospitable and warm. I would recommend this place if you are in town for sure!

sew i love you
sew i love you

less toursits, more vegan food!!

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

Get the soy steak, it comes with this delicious gravy and either plantains or mashed potatoes and a small side of lentils. The banana drink is great, the meatball dish is also amazing! There are 3 tables and the prices are cheap (just as most places in costa rica) Its tucked off the main road but just follow the yellow signs of which there are 2 on the main road...its totally worth it, just slightly off the main path into a lovely caribean garage trhat will make you forget all about all the touists in Pueta Viejo.

Medikitten06
Medikitten06
  • non-vegetarian

The finest vegetarian cuisine in Costa Rica!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2006

I had the honor of spending a couple of weeks with Veronica and her family as a guest in their home while visiting Costa Rica. She treated me as if I was her own family! I have to say that the same love that Veronica lavishly gives to her family is doled out to all of her customers. I helped her serve her guests in the restaurant while I was there and they all praised her food to no end. One guy came every single night for her mashed potatoes. And a few nights a week he brought friends! "Her smoothies are to die for" one guy raved! And a pair of French visitors tried to get all her recipies!! Sorry to say that they are not for sale. The business has grown to where she now has seating for up to 12 people, serves breakfast, and SHE HAS MENUS!!! Also she now has a health-food store on the premises where you can buy naturopathic remedies etc. She has three lovely cabinas you can rent and her son does various tours which she will arange for you. As well, she does hair braiding! She really is a super woman. I have to say that my stay here was one of the highlights of my trip.

Pros: Clean & Open air dining, Great, attentive service, Very Affordable
Cons: Closed Saturday in a.m.

Dear Owner and Manager of Veronica's Place: