Serves Chinese mock-meats and Malay dishes. Clean shop, friendly staff, good food. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly
27 Village Avenue, Doncaster, Metropolitan Melbourne
Doncaster, Victoria VIC 3108
03-9816-3222

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Aloo
SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Great Chinese Food

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

I frequent this place often. Plenty of mock meat which I tend to avoid. I love the wonton soup for a light little lunch. Their lion head hot pot is so yummy with the tofu meat balls that don't freak me out too much, lots of vegetables cooked in their natural sauce. Exquiste. Look out for Steve the waiter - he has the best personality ever. Only complaint would be the accoustics when it gets too busy.

vegelover
vegelover

Favourite For Vegetarian Food in Melb!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

If you are looking for A1 Vegetarian Char Koay Teow or Hor Fun or fried combination noodles
in Melb, this is the place!
Easy to find parking, generous portion, a lot of Wok Qi, nice Sambal Belachan.....yum yum....

Pros: Generous portion, Tasty food, Friendly staff
vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Still going strong

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

This place has been around for 5-6 years now and is clearly a well-loved institution. However, at our last visit recently, we were disappointed to see that prices have gone up but the serving sizes seem to have become less filling. Overall, if you're in the area, this is a great venue, but it's not worth more than a 20-minute drive...

Lastly, if you are after a quiet meal, then this is not the restaurant for you. The eating room suffers from a lack of sound panelling of any sort, and even 20 diners (out of about 50 max) make enough noise for it to be unsettling.

Pros: tasty food, good service
Cons: some dishes not cheap, interior has started to age, very loud if more than half full

Mat
Mat

Lovely

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

Great food here. My favorite is the Thai warm Salad with Oyster mushrooms. Its devine. service is usually good and reasonably priced.

Pros: Love the food, good value , good service
vgough
vgough

great food

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

Great food for lunch or dinner, wide choices. Lots of dishes done in style of traditional chinese resturant dishes (lemon chicken, sweet and sour etc) but others too. Satay sticks (and other entrees) are particularly yummy as others have already said! Have always had friendly service. Definitely more casual cafe/diner style than fine restaurant. Attracts a wide cross section of customers, family friendly. Wish it was 'round the corner- would probably eat there every week.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly, good value
Cons: bit out of the way
vicyk
vicyk

scary but delicious!

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2010

as a vegan the crazily realistic squid, beef and chicken were almost frightening... but after some reassurance from the staff and my non-vegan family i was able to eat and enjoy the food. didn't try the fake prawns but my family said they were delicious. everything was so surprising and good, much better than we all expected! the lemon chicken tasted a bit funny.. but the satay chicken skewers were delicious! my meat-loving aunty was very impressed. very friendly staff but waitress was a little confused by vegan, she didn't realise honey wasn't vegan and she said the 'buttered prawns' were vegan.. and then came back a few minutes later apologising. desert options were good for my family but no vegan goodies for me, until they brought out some gelatine-free jelly which was very very yummy :) overall very happy and will definitely go again!

Pros: friendly staff, yummy food, great variety on menu
Cons: didn't know about vegan options, lemon chicken yuck
Pamela JC
Pamela JC

Something I have never experienced before!

2 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

We were given a table at this crowded, noisy eatery, and it was an hour before we got served. Four later-arriving tables were served ahead of us. Food was over oily, but otherwise quite tasty. When we asked for sweets menus we were told we could not have sweets, and were told to leave, as the second sitting for our table was waiting (out in the cold). First we had heard of second sitting! We were not permitted to take away sweets either (altho' we saw others doing this). This eatery is seriously under staffed and overbooked. I have never been treated so rudely, anywhere.
This was our second visit, as our first visit was not great, and we thought we should give them another go - but now we have learnt our lesson.

Pros: Vegetarian
Cons: noisy, crowded, lacking decent staff
thewaitchild
thewaitchild

DEFINITE WINNER!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2008

Great food. Not expecting much as had never tried mock meats apart from the sausages and vegan roast plain that you buy in the supermarket..which I liked but couldn't imagine a lamb or fish or chicken replacement in a asian dishes.. Well I was shocked. Also because of it being so far from the city was skeptical about the quality but as soon as we got there pleasantly surprised. Appeared to be just as many other Asian/Chinese restaurants I had dined in around Footscray, Springvale etc...BEFORE I stopped eating meat/dairy. Anyway, greated with a friendly man who poured us some tea and explained EVERYTHING was veg and everything vegan or able to be made vegan. We had satay skewers for entree whcih (if you remember) were like tandoori chicken with a satay sauce, delicious. I had Mongolian Lamb for a main, absoultely delicious. Frehsher tasting than what I remember those sorts of dishes to be, lots of veggies and lots of'"meat". Generous size, filling. I think $13. Friend had Lemon chicken..agian delicious. And other had just cocunt curried vegetables. We wanted to order everything. Can't wait to try fish. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Oh, they do take away too!

Pros: Great tasting food, Great service, Huge variety
Cons: Distance.
Broomer
Broomer

Very Good

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2007

This is an excellent restaurant. Good price. Good serving size. Good service. The only negative is that, like a lot of Australia's gems, you need to drive to get to it.

Pros: Food, Price, Service
Cons: Location (distance)
Guest
Guest

Woweeeee!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2007

I read the reviews & booked a table tonight for my lil sister's 17th b'day dinner. The setting was typicaly asian restaurant/takeaway, but the food and service beat anything I had ever experienced!! My gosh, the food! It was so YUM! I think I'll explode because I ate so much! And the service was better than what I've experinced in expensive restaurants. It was the nest dining experience I've had in a very, very long time. Highly recommend.

Pros: Delicious cheap food, Super Staff, Casual Environment
Cons: NONE
Aloo
Aloo

Friendly service and great food

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2007

We have enjoyed Vegie Mum for lunch and dinner many times and have never been disspointed. Great, fresh food..served with a smile adn reasonable prices.

Pros: FOOD, SERVICE

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegie Mum: