Vegie Hut

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant, re-opened Apr 2013 after a break. Menu features a variety of mockmeat dishes such as crispy skin vegeduck and steamed vegefish. Dim sum on Sunday. BYO license. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
984 Whitehorse Rd (Station St)
Box Hill, Victoria VIC 3128
03-9898-2287

Open Mon, Wed-Sun 12-3pm, 5:30-10pm.

First Review by lynmartin
AshlynZuideveld
AshlynZuideveld

Nice Variety

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Came here on christmas eve. It was super busy, we had booked ahead.we ordered an 1 entree 2 mains ans 2 sides of rice. We only received 2 mains and a side of rice, but im glad then forgot because it was plenty of food for us, haha, maybe they knew! I had the sweet and sour pork and my partner, the sizzling black pepper nuggets (which was changed to these chicken balls because the nuggrts were not vegan). Both dishes were amazing, the mock pork was cripsy and the sauce was great. The sizzling nuggets had this amazing peppery sauce, it was so good. My partner only wished the nuggety ball things were cripsyer

Pros: Alot Of Variety, Lovely Food
Cons: Staff A Little Bit Hard To Understand Sometimes, Bit Pricey
SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Exceptional Chinese Food

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Nice comfortable restaurant with friendly staff - especially Karen. Such an extensive menu. I love the spicy eggplant dish, the exotic monkey head mushrooms served on a cast iron dish, don't mind hopping into the XO crabs and their malaysian style curry is sensational complete with tofu, fresh curry leaves and a myriad of vegetables including okra (a personal fave of mine). Consider the yum cha for lunch on the weekends which also includes a complimentary congee. Yum.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 10, 2013

vegelover
vegelover

One of Our Favourites

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

Been to this restaurant for years >10 years, always great food, great taste, friendly hosts.

I think they need to expand to a bigger size!

Do try their Char Koay Teow, Vege Pork Ribs & Mee Goreng! Yummm

Pros: Great Taste, Vegetarian Pork Rib is excellent, Always inventing on new dishes
Cons: Can be hard to park at times., Can get a bit too crowded.
nhuphung
nhuphung

Delicious!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

Vegie Hut has the best noodle soups with the bountiful amount of noodles given and the generous amount of sauce it has to be the best. It is one of the only restaurants I know that has my traditional recipe that my grandmother use to make. This dish is called 'Guo Za' which is provided on Saturday's. I look forward to that dish in which I crave from when I was little.

Pros: Generous amount of food given , The prices are managable, The restaurant looks beautiful
Mat
Mat

I love it

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

I have been going for a few years now. I love the food. I have the Pickles Delight and the Mee Goreng which are my usual favorites. When I have had dinners with a group there I have ordered things like, Sambal Spinach, Spicy Egg plant, Curry Mock Lamb and Sweet and sour Mock Ribs which i have all loved and enjoyed. The entrees there are lovely too. I like their curry puffs and fried dumplings. Also the boos has renovated the place. It looks better and cleaner. I love some of the Buddha images on the wall and the fact that a TV has been put up along with the renovations shows that the owner is willing to spend money to improve the place and cares and thinks about the place. Always good for me.

Pros: I love the food, Service is good, Good vibe about the place

meganscl
meganscl

My regular favourite

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

I really like this place. It serves an extensive Chinese menu but with fake meat instead of the real thing. I have tried a lot of different dishes and have liked every one. My favourite is definitely the sweet and sour pork though! But there is a huge range, with everything you can find on a normal Chinese menu. There is also a number of vegetable and/or tofu dishes for people who don't like the fake meat stuff.
The best thing about this place is that my meat-eater friends love it. I think they actually like it more than I do - they are always the ones that want to go there. The worst thing is that it is quite small and very popular. Be sure to book in advance. It's closed on Tuesdays.
The prices are very reasonable. It usually costs me about $20 in total - with a main dish, appetiser, rice and tea.

Pamela JC
Pamela JC

Consistently Excellent!

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

I have been going to this restaurant for around twenty years now, and I believe that it needs congratulating for its consistently good food and excellent staff.
Nothing is ever too much bother for the staff, and the menu offers such a variety of mouth watering options.
We will keep returning!!

Pros: healthy cuisine, great staff, clean premises
Cons: sometimes cannot get a booking
vgough
vgough

YUM!

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2009

We eat here all the time, in fact we are very boring, according to our children. Always yummy, the soups with some crispy 'duck' or 'pork' on the side is fantastic lunch option and very reasonable. Have always found the service good, even with a big group and children etc.
If you want more vege based dishes you can order them, we always get a plate of greens.
You generally need to book.

Pros: food choices, service, good value
veganvines
veganvines

Can I Live Here?

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2009

Me and my friends stopped in to Vegie Hut on a whim and a long drive out of town- it was well worth it. Excellent mock chicken and pork with fantastic sauces and presentation. Great prices ($11.80 for my meal) and friendly service.
highly recommended!

Pros: Portion size, Price, Great taste
Cons: not in the main city, small
Broomer
Broomer

An establishment

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2008

If you're a vegetarian in Melbourne, then this place is an establishment you need to visit. Price wise it's ok. Not the cheapest but not too bad. Check out their weekend specials and Yum Cha.

Pros: Location, Menu
Cons: Location, Price
Michael Tait
Michael Tait

Melbourne's best

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2007

Remains the premium vegie restaurant in Melnourne, closely followed by 'Enlightened.' Moderately priced, consistently great tasting, offering many mock meats. Good service, ambience ordinary (noisey shop and old & tired looking decor). Parking can be a problem. Can be full house on occaisons so best to book. Michael Tait

Pros: great food, good service
Cons: ambience, primitive loo
ampallang
ampallang

it's okay

2 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2007

Expensive for what you great. Staff are not 100% aware or sure of what is vega. Maybe it was just the one guy. The food was nice but it's very much the same as most mock meat chinese resturatns apart from the Vegie Hut is more expensive.

Pros: Nice food
Cons: unhealpful staff, no vegan desert
Aloo
Aloo

The best vegie laksa in Melbourne

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2007

Laksa is one of those things that can be made so badly, or just so, so well! This one is tasty with just the right blend of spices, rich coconut milk and tofu pieces that just soak up the soup. Usually they have a few beans (otherwise not too many vegies in it). Different styles of mock meat including "chicken" and "prawns". With fresh corriander, this meal size is large and satisfying. Thier black pepper soy nuggets are pretty good too. I have never had anything that was not good there, actually, but laksa is still the very best!

Pros: fresh food, consistent quality, nice ambience
Cons: service can be slow, very busy, parking difficult
lisacrock
lisacrock

delicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2007

They've got a SUNDAY special: DIM SIMS!
Uh, and they are awesome.....mhhh!

Pros: great mock meat, very friendly service
lynmartin
lynmartin

Great Chinese Food

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2006

Large array of very tasty 'meet' dishes.
For my liking not enough plain vegetable dishes, however, the spicy soy fish comes with some very nice veg in it.
Friendly and attentive service.

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegie Hut: