Offers weekday lunch specials. Uses mockmeats. Dinner prices cheap to moderate. Closed on Sun. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by spidey
Star the magic vegan
Star the magic vegan

Great Restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

The nicest people run this place. The service is great. Bring a party of eight, a loved one or by yourself, the food is great. It is NOGO Vegan cuisine at its best. Try the Vegan Lamb soup, Vegan Dim Sum Shou Mai, Vegan Kung Pao Chicken, Vegan House special fish and have a great evening of vegan food. The price is very reasonable for the high quality of food. The 'To Go Food' works well.

Pros: Taste of food and price, Service and Parking, great atmosphere
mariebaby21
mariebaby21

DELICIOUS!!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

I just went here for the first time today. I'm trying to transition to vegetarian and have been searching for a place like this! I had the Orange Meat dish and Thai iced tea.. was incredible. The price was right and it tasted amazing. I can't wait to go back!
My daughter claims to hate anything that's not "real" meat. I brought it home and told her to try the new "Chinese place" She had no clue she wasn't eating meat... then I told her and she asked if she could finish my leftovers.. NO WAY, those are mine! LOL
This place is a must try

Pros: Price is right, Service is fast, Big portions

classicchocolatecars
classicchocolatecars

Best place in TOWN

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

We have been going here for 13 years. NOT ONE BAD MEAL!! This place is one of the best in town for Vegi food. Very friendly and a great place to take friends for a fine dinner.

Pros: Food is alway made fresh, Service is fast, Every body there smiles
Cons: NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS
xanjulix
xanjulix

decent but not amazing

3 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

i tried vegi wokery for the first time and ordered the pork ribs, fried rice, and a cupcake. the pork ribs were battered and fried fake meat, good flavor but not amazing. the fried rice did not have enough flavor. i ordered a lemon cupcake to go but discovered it was banana when i got home. i am not a fan of banana and was disappointed. overall, the menu seems like average asian vegan food- i'll give it another try at some point but won't expect the best vegan meal of my life.

Pros: good value, large menu
Cons: mistake with order
Charliebeware
Charliebeware

Long time happy customer

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2013

I discovered this place when I was 18 back in 2001 and was taken away by the quality, deliciousness, and value. I started with the '┬Łorange meat'┬Ł entree and gradually have tried close to half of the menu. Bonnie and the rest of the wait are very warm and friendly. My non vegetarian friends and family all like the place too. I reccomend this place to everyone especially for people who are starting on there vegetarian journey as a place where they can bring their meat eating friends too.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Friendly staff
amandaxrenae
amandaxrenae

Must Try

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2013

I have been here a few times. Its great! The Vegan duck is remarkable. Only down side, no debit or credit accepcted. I love this place. It's close to my job, so I always go on my hour lunch breaks. They service is fast and friendly. I will keep returning back.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Geat Pricing
Cons: No debit or credit
friedhippie
friedhippie

I guess I didn't have one of the best experiences

3 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

My night job is down the street from here. Thought I'd check it out before work. They are closed between 2:30-4:30 (I arrived at 4pm)
Staff was very friendly and pricing is what I'd expect to pay. They don't take credit/debit cards, I had to walk to an atm. I ordered it to go and my food was scalding hot when I opened it at work. The dumplings tasted good and the sweet and sour pork was ok.
However the food destroyed my stomach. I don't think I'll be going back here, maybe it was what I ordered but I wasn't impressed.

Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: kinda expensive, scalding hot food, does not accept debit/credit
Chia
Chia

Chinese/Taiwanese

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Vegi Wokery review.

My favorite dish from this restaurant is the sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves - it's a Taiwanese specialty food. You have to ask for it, and sometimes they have it for takeaway frozen. I've eaten so many of them!

The food at Vegi Wokery is generally pretty good. My family enjoys it.

Pros: friendly owners
vegan_hippie
vegan_hippie

VEGAN CUPCAKES!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

What more do you need? ;) But seriously, this place is awesome. The employees are totally nice. Super sweet. I wanted to hug her! The food is just as amazing. I got the vegetarian orange meat (vegan) and it is really good. I also got a chocolate vegan cupcake and coconut vegan cupcake. Amazing. Seriously, I am so excited that I found this place. I will be back. I will also have leftovers all weekend. They give you a good amount of food, but also just because the food is so good I want it to last. ^_^

Pros: Amazing food, Amazing service, VEGAN CUPCAKES!
Helenkwon
Helenkwon

favorite Chinese restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2012

The owner was very sweet and warm. She gave great suggestions off the menu. I got basil ginger chicken, brown rice, and bbq pork steamed buns. The chicken dish was very flavorful and juicy and it had a generous amount of vegetables to accompany it. The brown rice was fluffy with lots of grains, exactly how I like it. I also ordered the house tea and a veg peanut butter cupcake after, which was amazing! I am crazy about veg desserts, and I would say theirs were perfect. They had lots of cupcake flavors to choose from. I must try them all. It was my sister's first time at a vegan restaurant and she kept commenting on how delicious everything was. There was an interesting mix of couples, families, and lots of Chinese people dining here at the time of my visit. I am determined to bring my friends here to change their mind about vegan food!

Pros: friendly staff, big portions
**eRin**
**eRin**

Awesome Vegan Food!

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

My fiance and I have been coming here for about 3 years now and I absolutely love it! The staff is always so nice and the food is amazing! I always look forward to getting a cupcake before I leave! They only accept cash so make sure you go to the bank before coming here.

Pros: Amazing Food, Awesome Staff, Vegan
Cons: Cash Only
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Wonderful Chinese Vegan Food with incredible staff

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

We were out and about and used our Veg'n Out App to find some nearby vegan food and Vegi Wokery came up. We found it in a nice strip mall area. The food is Chinese with most things stir fried. We are on the oil free McDougall Diet and the chef and server(owner I think) we extremely kind. They recommended a few dishes they could do w/o oil and we FEASTED on this amazing rice noodle cabbage dish seasoned with a little soy sauce and red pepper and added extra veggies on top. It was a huge portion and so good! They have VegNews copies for you to read and are so polite and friendly. I'd eat hear weekly if I lived closer!

Pros: great chinese vegan food, accomodate special requests, nice and friendly
Jovon
Jovon

Vegi Treasure

3 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2010

All the comments are dead-on about the pleasant demeanor of the staff here. I have come here two Mondays in a row and plan to go again today. The place is a bit small but the value of the lunch special is totally worth the effort to scope it out. I am not too fond of the Orange Meat (faux Orange Chicken) but the Mustard Greens with Bean Curd sheets was simply delicious. I am tempted to also try the Peking Duck. We'll see. The brown/wild rice is also a great paring to the lunch special. The food is not greasy and doesn't leave you with a "WOW, I'm stuffed feeling." Its just right. Closed on Sundays and bring cash if you're getting a lunch special. Check out the menu. They have lots of options. Take a look and see what appeals to your taste buds for the day :-) Great value.

Pros: Economic Prices, Generous Portions
Cons: Staff a bit diff to communicate with , Some dishes great. Other maybe not.
dglucido
dglucido

Dennis Lucido

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

My wife and I ate there today and it was very good. My wife is not a vegan and was still able to find a menu item she liked.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
lwylie
lwylie

Wonderful Dining Experience

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The restaurant was very clean, the quality of the food was excellent, the wait staff was attentive and helpful, and we left wishing only that we did not live 250 miles away!

Pros: Cleanliness, excellent food, friendly and helpful staff
Cons: distance from our home!
GordonShumway
GordonShumway

Vegi Wokery

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2010

Food was hot. Service was excellent. Spicy Vegi-Ginger Chicken was marvelous. A+

Pros: Service, Food, Clean
Kittychiq
Kittychiq

Vegi Wokery is Awesome!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2009

Excellent food!!! Delicious vegan versions of classic Chinese cuisine. Miso soup and "chicken" soft noodle are excellent. I love the fried oysters. Best of all, they serve Luscious organic vegan cupcakes which are incredible!!!!‎

Pros: Excellent Food, Luscious Cupcakes, Great prices
Eatin Vegan
Eatin Vegan

Real Vegan Chinese Food! A must try...

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2009

Vegi Wokery is in their 14th year in the same location. It is one of the last TRUE vegan Chinese Restaurants around. (Ones that check up on their suppliers to confirm that their products are truly VEGAN. In fact they tested their "chicken" product at an independent food lab to confirm it had no poultry or milk products.) You can eat the "veggie meats" you shun elsewhere with confidence here.

They are always coming up with in-house made items that are unusual and delicious. Their newest offering are handmade Vegan BBQ PORK STEAMED BUNS (CHA-SIU-BAO) and Steamed Bao filled with CHINESE MUSTARD GREENS.

I have lots of favorites here, but usually I recommend the orange chicken for newbies. (Fried, sweet, tastes like the real stuff from Panda Express, etc.) I personally like some of the homemade stuff like the crispy eel, fish with basil in brown sauce, sliced bbq pork, dim-sum su-mai, etc.

They have over 100 items on their menu, and like the last reviewer said, yes they have VEGAN CUPCAKES for dessert!!!
(They have a good fried banana dessert too.)

Also, as stated in other reviews they ONLY TAKE CASH, but this is not a problem as the prices are super reasonable, and there is a credit union atm about 150 feet down the strip mall (near Chuck-E-Cheese). There are also ATMs for Bank of America, Union Bank, and Wells Fargo around the corner on Gridley Rd. If they had credit cards, the prices would be higher for sure. I'll happily bring cash.

Oh, and they have a website that has a MONTHLY COUPON these days. Print it out and you need even less cash with you!

If you feel like you had a bad meal here, you need to try a different dish (with different meat/sauce/veggies) to give it a fair shot. I have had a few things I did not really love (like the homemade squid), but I've had friends rave about it, so I think it's all about personal taste.

Pros: VEGAN, HOMEMADE FOOD, 100+ DISHES
Cons: CASH ONLY, CLOSED ON SUNDAY, 10 TABLES ONLY
MichelleOJ
MichelleOJ

Good food & they carry vegan cupcakes!

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2009

Stopped by for an impromptu lunch a few weeks ago. Thought I'd written a review, but I guess not so I'll try to remember what I had. ;)

Restaurant was well crowded for lunchtime but I was seated and served in a friendly, timely manner. This is your typical Asian restaurant with typical Asian menu. I think I ordered veggie stir fry or something and brown rice and had a steamed bun. All was very fresh and delicious.

Must admit that one reason I dropped in was because I learned they carry cupcakes from Luscious Organics which I've been dying to try. Even though the cupcakes were dropped off on Monday/Tuesday there were still a few leftover which were fresh & moist & yummy. I opted for the chocolate cupcake which blew me away.

As previous posters have stated this restaurant takes cash only but isn't too pricey so that shouldn't be an issue. Was a nice touch to see copies of VegNews and various vegan-friendly magazines on the front counter. :)

Staff was polite, friendly, and efficient. Food was fresh and yummy. Brown rice was exceptional. And they serve Luscious Organics vegan cupcakes so bonus points!! :)

Pros: Friendly staff, Affordable, Vegan Cupcakes!
luciano
luciano

is ok

2 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

the food is ok, but I HATE THE FACT THAT THEY DOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARD I mean we are in 2008 where everybody use plastic!!!

the fod is good I will go back soon

Pros: good food, nice service
Cons: no credict cards, no parking, bad music
  • webmaster webmaster

Luciano,
    Just because they don't take credit cards is hardly a reason to give a place two cows! You even say the food is good and that you plan to return. Please consider re-submitting your review (and use spell check next time too). Thanks.

Andrealv
Andrealv

Good food

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2008

I have been eating here for about 8 years. The food is always good, but I hae to say my favorite thing is their rice. It's not just plain brown rice, it's full of yummy grains.

Pros: good food, good prices, rice
Cons: parking
litano
litano

Vegetarian chef's review

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I have been going to Vegi Wokery since its opening around ten years ago. I have been a vegetarian chef since 1975, so I know good cooking. Since the owner is the chef, I have never had a bad meal there. Bonnie, the wife, is sweet and always helpful. ten stars!!! Lloyd Itano

Pros: consistent, friendly, fair prices
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Fantastic - this is what I like to read - a review written with passion - giving your real name - thank you Lloyd.

Heroelux
Heroelux

Upsell Upsell Upsell

3 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

The steam buns are delicious! The owner will try to upsell you on EVERYTHING.

Pros: Steam Buns
Cons: Upsell everything
crutalley
crutalley

Good Food

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

This place is one of my favs. It has a good menu,lots to choose from. I like the sweet and sour choices.I am sure you will like this place too!

Pros: menu, taste, consitency
JoJo121
JoJo121

Awesome!

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2007

Everytime I go to visit in California I have to eat here. Everyone is so nice and the food is incredible. Love the cinnamon tea and the lettuce wraps. Keep up the good work.

veganteacher
veganteacher

not 100% vegan

3 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2007

I was there recently and asked about the drumsticks - my daughter loves them, but we have only found 1 restaurant that has vegan ones. The server said that they are vegan but didn't understand 'whey'. She checked the ingredients and came back to say there is 'whey protein' in the drumsticks.

Food is okay - closest vegan option in the area.

Cons: not 100% vegan, difficult to find out, what is and isn't
  • veganteacher veganteacher

If you would've looked at the date on my review, you would have seen that it was posted three years ago. I haven't been back since. That is great that they have now posted the whey on their menu! Not sure why you are so arrogant in assuming that I can't read a menu. As vegans we are more likely to read menus and ingredient labels. Perhaps it was BECAUSE I spoke to the server that you now know there is whey in the drumsticks.

• storyarc storyarc

It states right on the menu, right next to Drumsticks, "Contain whey." It's possible you went before they were aware of this, but Bonnie informed me as soon as they discovered their supplier was using whey (about three years ago) and they put it on the menu shortly thereafter. Not sure how much more disclosure you need. The drumsticks are the only non-vegan item on the menu, and this is clearly stated on the menu.

Meganfrolic
Meganfrolic

Amazing!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2007

I love Vegi Wokery, I eat there regularly, and the people are so nice. The restaurant is completely Vegan, contrary to what was said by someone, they even catered my wedding. My favorites are the Chicken Drumsticks and the Vegetable Casserole, so tasty.

Pros: Wonderful staff, Yummy food, Good prices
Cons: Closed Sundays
  • veganteacher veganteacher

I was there recently and asked about the drumsticks. I was told they were vegan but the server didn't understand 'whey'. She offered to look at the ingredients - she came back and told me that whey protein is listed as an ingredient. :(

No1_Vegan_Goddess
No1_Vegan_Goddess

Yummy Wokery!!

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2006

Even tho I live waaaaaaaaaay in L.A., I don't mind driving to the Vegi Wokery, even during the traffic-rush!! The food is great with nice, friendly staff in a beautiful, calm and peaceful environment!!
The menu is TOTALLY vegan and my carnivorous friends love it, too!! I've eaten here since 1997 and the food is STILL excellent!!

Pros: Great, friendly service!!, Dee-lish & healthy!!, NOT pricey!!
  • No1_Vegan_Goddess No1_Vegan_Goddess

That must be a NEW thing. How recent was this?

• maryzaint maryzaint

actually not everything on the menu is vegan, i asked once and the owner pointed out what wasnt vegan.

spidey
spidey

GREAT!!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2006

This place is awesome, ive been coming here for about 2 years now and ive brought a ton of friends and family to eat here and they all agree that the food is outstanding...and all of them are meat eaters. The ladies that run this place are soooo sweet and the environment is peaceful and relaxing. Then you come to the food and its soooo awesome. Im going to keep coming back again and again, even if you try it once you'll admit that the food here is very good.

Pros: great food, lots of choices, good appetizers

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegi Wokery: