CLOSED: Veghead's Drive Thru

Asheville's first vegetarian drive thru, established in 2011. Offers different tempeh sandwiches, wraps, salads, a kid's menu, seitan philly, and sides. APR 2014 REPORTED SHUT, PHONE NOT WORKING. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out
705 Merrimon Ave
Asheville, North Carolina 28804
828-505-8540

Open Mon-Thur 10am-9pm, Fri-Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 12-8pm.

First Review by mathman
Farmaroundthebend
Farmaroundthebend

Best fast food EVER

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

This place is awesome! Salads are great, the lemon-tahini dressing is out of this world. The Philly "cheese steak" sandwich is insanely good- seitan that's out of this world delicious, made vegan without the cheese. The falafel wrap is delious as well. Get a black bean brownie- an amazing vegan dessert!! Not a huge fan of the hummus wrap- the hummus is delicious don't get me wrong, I just prefer their other items. I've never seen the place crowded- my husband and I usually split 3 items and a brownie and it's around $20/25.

Pros: Healthy drive thru!, The Philly cheese steak is vegan!, Great prices
Cons: Limited seating is outdoors only, Not open late
AlexandMarie
AlexandMarie

loved it !

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

Really liked the Korean BBQ wrap and the Falafel wrap. The couscous slide was very tasty too.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 13, 2012

don't forget to get a "frequent eater's card" to qualify for a free luncheon after 10 visits

Pros: friendly, fast, inexpensive
Cons: none
jkirk
jkirk

Yummy!

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

This place was great! It was really fast, and the staff knew right away what was vegan vs veg. I had the philly minus the cheese, and it was delicious! I was really excited to try the peanut salad, but the pasta was a bit undercooked. Other than that, I would stop again!

Pros: Great flavors, Fast

Carrie C. Reid
Carrie C. Reid

Good Stuff

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

The food here is good and well priced. It is awesome to have fast food that is vegetarian. I would prefer that they were better informed about what vegan ingredients are, and have more true vegan options, using vegan sugar, ketchup, etc. Great place though.

Pros: Fast, Great tasting
appandy15
appandy15

Veggie Drive Thru!!

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

Want something tasty and isn't raw fruits or vegetables on the go? This is your place! This One thing you have to remember is you are paying for convenience. If you had time to go home and create your own vegetarian/vegan you could. But for options on the go, it doesn't get much better than Veghead.

The seaweed salad was amazing! The 'steak and cheese' was very good, even though I regretted the health chose later.... My wife had the dirty rice which she really enjoyed.

Check it out!

Pros: Convenient
redquetzel
redquetzel

Vegan Fast Food! Love it.

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

I love the Hummus/Avocado Wrap and the Falafel and the Korean BBQ Tempeh has an awesome sauce... also, seems like most days they have a Special (sometimes vegan, sometimes not) and delicious soups. How Fabulous to have healthy, vegan fast food!
A more expansive menu would be even nicer.

cheezyvegan
cheezyvegan

vegheads. i wanted to love you but i didn't.

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

i really wanted to love vegheads. planning our trip to asheville this year, we were excited to try out a new veg place. the menu was a bit limited for vegans, but that didn't throw us. i was super-excited about trying their "fast food" burger, and i found a side (other than chips) that didn't have onions (i'm not a fan at all). so we rolled up, got two mountain burgers, two sides of peanut pasta salad, and a cookie. $27, which i normally wouldn't complain about at all.

but the food wasn't great. the mountain burger was loaded with cumin, which is a spice i personally cannot stand. i wasn't able to eat it at all, but my wife ate hers and said it was a basic, old-school veggie burger. not great, not terrible. i figured i'd eat both our pasta salad sides, but unfortunately, they were loaded with onions, though onions were not at all on the list of ingredients (i always double-check since i detest them so). that left me with the cookie. it was double chocolate, and the chocolate chips were so old that they were almost white. very disappointing.

i'm not the type to complain usually about ANY place that serves vegan food (seeing as i live in an area where the closest veg restaurant is over an hour away), but this was definitely an unfortunate dining experience. kudos for the great idea of a veg drive-thru. just need to maybe update the menu to include the correct ingredients. and maybe increase the vegan options.

Pros: it's a veggie drive-thru
Cons: food was not great, ingredient list not true to dish
lpass809
lpass809

Great idea!

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2011

I think it's a great idea to have a healthy fast food option for once! It's expensive and tastes good. I got the vegan bbq tempeh wrap and it was fantastic.

Pros: fast, inexpensive, yummy
Cons: somewhat limited vegan options
mathman
mathman

VegHead's Drive Thru

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

I ordered a Mountain burger (vegan) and a brownie (also vegan) and got the pair for under $13. The burger was great: a tasty patty cooked just right on a nice bun with L & T; and the brownie was rich and smooth.

OK, so the "food" part of "fast food" was fine; but guys, you're aching me with your slow service. I arrived exactly at noon on a weekday, but it took 17 minutes to get my burger-and-brownie order. There were several cars lined up at the drive-thru window, but a few at the back gave up and left. As far as I could see, there were three people working inside: either more people are needed, or more pre-lunch-crowd prep should be done to speed things up. If this is fixed, the place has a bright future.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 13, 2011