Opened in April 2013, this is a vegan food restaurant that also provides raw food and fresh salads. All dishes are made from scratch with organic ingredients including seitan, bread, desserts. Offers hearty meals like vegan schnitzel, chipotle burger, and veggie cutlets with roasted potatoes; plus weekly changing soups. Cozy interior with large windows. Accessible by Randstadrail 3 from central station (stop at Valkenbosplein), or by tram 12 from Hollands Spoor station (stop at Weimarstraat). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, American, Raw, Beer/Wine

First Review by eveliene99
LauraPacheco
LauraPacheco

Vegano y delicioso

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Después de una visita a La Haya, nada mejor que cenar en Veggies on Fire. Es un restaurante 100 % vegano, donde tienen una carta deliciosa, llena de sabores y con algunos platos picantes. Los propietarios y camareros son acogedores y agradables, es un lugar donde me sentí muy bien atendida.

Pros: Platos sabrosos, Personas amigables y educadas, Verdura fresca, del día
Cons: Horarios de apertura
Veggielover13
Veggielover13

Yaaaaay

3 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

Very very nice! Had some amazing food here. Wonderful nut-based dips, delicious burger (yummy spicy chipotle burger) with a very good side salad (lots of different veggies), very nice crispy potatoes and delicious mayonaise. And the desert... wow!
Also a big plus: the passion that they have for what they make, and the willingness to unravel the cooking secrets.
I'm already looking forward to the next time I can go here!

Pros: Delicious Food, Nice Atmosphere, Friendly Staff
Cons: ..?
EmileKuijvenhoven
EmileKuijvenhoven

Tasty food and friendly staff

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

This nice vegan restaurant is worth a visit. After a visit to the Mauritshuis, the beach or an other attraction you can finish yout day with a nice meal served by friendly staff.

Pros: Taste, Staff, Good amount
Cons: Opening hours

JSlinks
JSlinks

Exceeded expectations, great vibe !

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

Great place ! The food and presentation are exquisite!
Loved the croquettes and the burger was great ! I was skeptical about the Crème Brulee, being vegan and all, but gave it a whirl and I was very pleasantly surprised. Man, this was a feast fit for a king and I will most definitely come back soon. Next time I'll try the pepper steak !
The service was also outstanding ! I also met the owners. Great people with a genuine dedication which is reflected in every way !

Pros: Superb Organic Food, Outstanding Service, Great Atmosphere
Dcf
Dcf

Vegan with passion, but the food is only so-so

2 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

While I love every new option for vegan dining, I was underwhelmed by Veggies on Fire. The decor and sfer is great and the service is very attentive. However, the kitchen seems to be run more on idealism than on cooking skills, because the food turned out to be hit-or-miss.
The groente kroket as a starter was nice, but the pate with the crackers was somewhat boring. It is basically a spoonful of an ok-tasting veggie paste with some dry crackers.
After that, we waited a full hour for our main course, which is simply unacceptable to me.
The tower of tempeh was very tasty, but it comes with a big side salad that was completely undressed and therefore was not pleasant to eat at all.
The Chipotle Burger consisted of a very mushy patty, a quite dry bun and a splash of Ketchup. Why can't there at least be a slice of tomato, salad, cucumber on the burger? Even a 1€ Burger at McDonalds has that. For 16€, this main was extremely disappointing.
There also some RAW food options on the menu which I only saw being served to otherwise customers. It looked like a decent sized salad of julienne vegetables, but I don't think I would want to go back to try it as it also seems quite pricey at 17€.

Pros: Fully vegan, RAW options, Sfer
Cons: Pricey, Food only so-so, Very long wait for main course
Sarita
Sarita

Vegan organic restaurant

2 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

The owners are very nice and friendly people, but you don't get for what you pay. They can work on making their main dishes some more tasty and give some nice made vegetables.

Pros: 100% vegan, organic, friendly
Cons: doesn't taste special, too expensive for what you get, lack of herbs and spices in food
ody.lucia
ody.lucia

Cosy place, great food!

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

This place is where I have been waiting for: pure, healthy food served in a very elegant way. Some of the plates look like small pieces of art in which you see the passion of the owners. Veggies changes the menu with the season, so even if you come more frequent, there is always something new to try. And... I never got disappointed, only more impressed.
It might take a little longer for some plates to be served, but once you see and try the food, you'll understand why and judge it worth waiting for!

Pros: Great tast, Beautiful presentation, Very friendly staff
Cons: ...?
Lynette
Lynette

A must-visit!

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

The service was wonderful, with each course carefully explained with a true passion and love for their fresh ingredients. The food simply delicious. The ambiance fresh, clean and modern. The real pleasure to have experienced Veggies on Fire!

Kathy Quinn
Kathy Quinn

Awesome Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

We had one of the best meals we ever had. Everything is homemade, right down to the kale chips, seitan, tortillas, ketchup, and coconut whipped cream. Raw options are available. Wines are vegan and delicious. Ours was fair trade and suffer free as well. The chipotle burger is a spicy house specialty, on a home made whole grain bun, and is incredible. Hachee, a traditional Dutch dish with cinnamon and cloves, was very good with homemade seitan. The brownie with homemade raspberry coulis and coconut whipped cream is heavenly. Menus change quarterly to honor seasonal local farming. Service is great and they explain everything you are eating.

Janvdw
Janvdw

Insanely good!

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

This is the place to be in NL to have Veggie food.
Unlike a lot of other Veggie restaurants VOF keeps high standards on friendlyness, and food quality.
very good choice of wines.
Even when its full house you still have enough space and you can talk with and hear eachother.
We have been there now for the third time and will return asap!

Pros: Food quality, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere
Tomvegan
Tomvegan

Awesome!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

After our visit to De Vegetarische Snackbar and the beach, we went to Veggies On Fire for another nice meal.

Veggies On Fire started in April 2013 and call them self a vegan restaurant. They also offer raw food and use mainly local and organic ingredients.

We went there by bus, but it's also possible to take one of three times that stop almost in front of the place. We didn't call ahead, so unfortunately there was no table for us to sit at. We were advised to go out, walk around a little and then come back. Unfortunately after we came back, there was still no table for us. We waited and waited, but no one left. Then finally we were offered a table by a family who overheard our conversation, so we could finally eat!

Since we had enough time being hungry, we already chose what we wanted from the menu, so we could tell the waitress immediately our order.

For me:
Drinks: Bitter Lemon (organic) and water
Appetizer - Fried Tempeh Riceballs
Main course - Sate (Seitan)
Dessert - Raw Raspberry/Chocolate Cream Cake

And for my girlfriend:
Drinks: Coke (organic) and water
Appetizer - Summer Roll
Main course - Chipotle Burger
Dessert - Coconut/Lime Cake

I could describe all the dishes, but I can just sum it up by telling you up front that literally everything on our plates tasted wonderful. The fried tempeh riceballs were very juicy, the (seitan) sate couldn't be better and I never had a better chocolate cake than the one I had at Veggies On Fire. My girlfriend was also very pleased with everything she ordered and of course we tried from each others plate.
After a very nice talk to the owners, we took our desserts to go with us for the 2,5 hours back to Eindhoven. What a great visit this was, it couldn't be better.

Food: 10/10
Service: 10/10
Decor: 10/10 (Even the bar is made out of local wood! Also great lighting and overall ambiance)
Bodybuilder-friendly: 10/10 (Lots of protein on the menu and rich portions on your plate!)

Mainly local, organic, vegan, even raw, very nice people, great atmosphere and easy to reach.

!10/10!

Pros: Food, Service, Decor
xyvox
xyvox

Truly amazing!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

We had a great time at Veggies On Fire. The staff was very friendly and the food was truly amazing!
The dishes were very tasty and not the usual vegan stuff. As a starter I had cauliflower fried in dough. My partner had a raw dish: beetroot with macadamia nut paste. Excellent!

Main dish was puff pastry seitan, a subtle and tasty course. Again, my partner had the raw option. A bit too for her to eat everything, but the taste was great.

We shared a chocolate mousse for dessert... And I know, it sounds boring: but the taste was so good.

This place is truly a must go for every vegan. For every vegetarian. And every omnivore.

Pros: great food!!, friendly staff, fancy decoration
Cons: none , nothing, zilch
Amsterdam+girls
Amsterdam+girls

Disappointing

3 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

We do appreciate the initiative very much but unfortunately were very disappointed with the food quality. the selection of vegan places in The Netherlands is still very poor and therefore we were very excited to read about this new place in Den Haag and went to check it out with high expectations after reading the reviews here. The service is nice and attentive and the place is clean it is only the food which isn't good enough. Without insulting anyone the cooking level was of an amateur , perhaps something you would be happy with visiting friends at their home but definitely not on a restaurant level. We tried the 'Oven dish' , mix of Tofu and some vegetabls hardly spiced , was very bland and boring and shapelessly placed on the plate. We also tried the chipotle burger, which was better than the other dish but still not very good. It tasted nice but it's texture was totally mushed , it didn't have a bite to it and the home made bread was pretty dry. In any vegan fast food place you would get a better quality vegan burger and won't pay 16 euros for that. The 'salad' that comes as a side dish isn't very exciting either and pretty dry. The plating is what you would get here at any average 'Dutch cafe', some side Salad, some potatoes and your main dish . A good word we should give to the vegan mayonise which was very nice.
We feel bad having to write a negative review , we would have loved to love the place . We hope it was a bad day at the kitchen or maybe the quality would improve with the time , but we wouldn't go back there and therefore couldn't recommend it to others.

Pros: Clean , nice service
Cons: Bland food , too expensive for the food quality
zubora
zubora

Delicious!!

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2013

Beyond delicious! This is the type of food that makes me want to rush home and try to recreate it. If you haven't been here, you really should try it. I'm definitely coming back!

Marguerite
Marguerite

A delight for the eyes and the palate!

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

Superbly presented, deliciously prepared, served with a flourish! We had: raw capaccio (superb), soup du jour (lentil carrots, very tasty), chipotle burger (we'll have to have it again, soon), coconut lime pie (delicious) and raw chocolate mousse (best raw dessert ever). The wine was good, service was efficient and teuly friendly (rare qualities in the Hague), an excellent dining experience, and all vegan to boot ! An absolute winner.

Pros: Great vegan food, Friendly service, Subtle visual design
kristaov
kristaov

Excellent!

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2013

We had a very good dinner today at Veggies. The best miso soup I've ever tried, a good and spicy burger and the coconut-lime cake was the grand finale!
The wine was very good too!

Pros: Delicious, Cosy, Friendly Staff
IwanWesterduin
IwanWesterduin

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

This young vegan restaurant offers great food prepared with a meticulous attention to detail, flavor and presentation.

The atmosphere is light and casual, service is punctual, friendly, and personal and most importantly, the balance of subtle but distinctive flavors - as well as textures - of the dishes we tried were simply fantastic.

This is definitely not the bland, unexciting type of food some people expect a vegan restaurant to offer, and the staff takes noticeable and well deserved pride in this.

The menu is very compact. Perhaps even sparse. But the available choices are diverse enough to offer something for any taste. There are options available for people following a raw food diet.

If you choose to go and give Veggies on Fire a try, which (as should be clear by now) I highly recommend, I have one advice: Do NOT skip dessert!

Prices are not low, but fair.

Pros: Excelent food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere and decor
Cons: Small-ish menu
FluffySheep
FluffySheep

Worth the ride

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

Very tasty food, good wine and nice decor. My husband, who is a vegetarian but grumbles when I want to go vegan, definitely enjoyed this all vegan food. The chocolate mousse was better than many non-vegan chocolate mousses I have had!

It is a bit out of the way if you're used to eating in the city centre but still very doable by bike and tram number three stops very close to the restaurant.

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive
LaurieXB
LaurieXB

Great little vegan restaurant in Den Haag

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

This is a lovely little vegan restaurant not far from the centre of Den Haag. The menue is quite small but the food was tasty and had a home cooked feel to it. The portions were generous, and the staff very helpful and friendly.
We'll certainly be coming back!

Pros: Tasty wholesome food, Very friendly staff, Nice athmosphere
Cons: Limited choice of dishes
yessija
yessija

Promising new vegan restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

The food was delicious, it's all vegan. The schnitzel was good, comes with lots of sides (a.o. roasted chopped potatoes with good vegan mayonaise). The chipotle burger was delicious, spicy but not too hot, it also comes with lots of sides. Raw banana icecream and lemon cheesecake were very good.
Nice athmosphere, modern interior.

Pros: Very good food, All vegan, Modern
Cons: Not near the city center
Joloco
Joloco

GO THERE NOW!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

There are many things to like about Veggies on Fire. One is that it's open until 11pm, and in a country where people eat dinner early and many restaurants stop serving at 9pm, that's quite a find!

The care put into the food is wonderful. The husband and wife who run the place are clearly passionate about vegan food, all of which is made fresh on the premises. Even the schnitzels are made to order from wheat flour!

Anyway, we had sushi (wonderful), the schnitzel (awesome, with roast potatoes and fried veg and salad), and Mexican tortilla (delicious). The portions are huge! They're happy to box up the left-overs if you can't manage everything.

So if you're looking for great food in Den Haag (whether you're veg'n or not) then visit Veggies on Fire, you won't be disappointed.

Pros: All vegan, All freshly made, Friendly, helpful staff
seymourW
seymourW

Potential for greatness

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

The place is very pretty and easy to find. It's cosy. The sushi is fantastic. The burger and schnitzel are not bad, but could be improved as they are a bit tasteless. The tempura-tempeh, fries, salad and chocolate mousse are good. The portions are good, the prices are decent and the music choice is great. I would definitely recommend this place, but especially the sushi.

Pros: Cosy atmosphere and nice deco, Friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Music a bit too loud, Main dishes lack a bit of taste
Appel
Appel

Excellent

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

Great tasting food, nice service

Pros: Passionate people, Generous portions
acadiechick
acadiechick

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

I LOVED Veggies on Fire! It is also conveniently located in my neighborhood, another plus. The food was great (taste and portions were excellent) and the service was amazing. We had to wait a wee bit longer for our main course and as a result we got a round of drinks on the house to compensate. We also spoke to the chef, who really wants to ensure that you enjoyed your meal. His smoked tempeh tastes just like bacon! Great place and will def go again soon.

Pros: Food (portions were super generous!), Friendly staff and owners, Nice cosy atmosphere
Maakun
Maakun

Awesome vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Located a bit outside of the city center, but very close to a few bus and tram stops is Veggies on Fire.

If you look at the menu the food might not seem that exciting. But it's not as simple as it seems from the descriptions. Very well cooked and flavoured food, nicely aranged on the plates. I discovered the cook has a passion for smoked peppers, which is great, but he also knows how to make subtle use of them.

Because it was really busy we had to wait a little while for our main course, but they gave us some cherry tomatoes and a beer on the house, so it was all good.

The owners really have a passion for food and are extremly proud of their restaurant, and rightly so. It looks great, the service is awesome and the food is really good.

The only things which could use minor improvement is that the menu is indeed a bit small, and my desert was a tad small. But I'll definately go here more often, it's a great experience.

Pros: Great food, Great service
Alynda
Alynda

Don't miss out on this one!

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

A fully vegan restaurant in my own city.. wow! Went there to check it out, together with my omnivorous stepfather who is quite the criticus. I liked the dishes, though I already had quite a lot of deepfried food lately (at the Vegetarian Snackbar!) so maybe the tempeh tempura and chipotle burger weren't the best choices I could have made. Did like the meals though. The portions were big, too big for me, but you do get value for your money that way. It's a suitable restaurant for omnivores, though my stepfather wasn't impressed by the food (but maybe that's just him).

We tried all of their deserts, the chocolate mousse is definitely the best and their cake is wonderful. The ice cream wasn't like ice cream at all, and it took quite a while before we got the deserts... but well they were only open for two days when we were there, so I guess they still have to get used to things a bit. I definitely recommend a visit!

Oh and... yes there aren't many choices on the menu, but since all of them are vegan it's still hard to choose anyway ;-)

Pros: organic, nice atmosphere, good value
Cons: small menu
Gudrun
Gudrun

Finally a great vegan place in Holland!

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

A very nice (and clean) place with friendly staff and cozy atmosphere. The food is just yummy!

I have been there once so far. I had a carrot soup with orange (= the "soup of the week"), tempura made of tempeh and Thai spices, a Sherperd's Pie (vegan version of course) and as dessert a lemon cake with raspberry sauce. They also serve pretty nice (vegan) red wine and of course soy cappuccino.

The owners are extremely friendly and helpful, and it is very obvious that they love what they are doing. The only thing I noted which could have been a bit better was that I found the side salad a bit dry but before I could say anything my neighbor made a remark and we immediately got some very nice extra sauce as a dressing. Such things are just a matter of personal taste anyway.

The prices are not really low but it is definitely good value for the money.

Yes, everything was just great and I am sure I will get back many times. And I would not hesitate to take omnivore friends to this place, since I believe a lot of them would love it, too.

The restaurant is located a bit outside of the city center of The Hague, but supereasy to reach by public transport, for example by "RandstadRail" (a type of tram with several stops in the city center) number 3, stop "Valkenbosplein". And it is definitely worth a detour.

The venue opened only recently but it is already quite popular, so reservations are recommended.

5 stars!

Pros: Great food, Nice people, All-vegan
eveliene99
eveliene99

Great vegan restaurant

3 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

Veggies on fire just opened yesterday, so everything was still very new. The staff was not fully settled yet, but were very friendly, and stopped by our table to talk to us. The food was great! I got a dish that didn't sound all that special, but the taste was great. I personally thought there could be a bit more options on the menu, there were 2 soups, 4 entrees, 4 main dishes and 3 desserts, but everyone at our table got something different and they were all very good.

It's definately a place I would go to again and recommend to others.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food!, Good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggies on Fire:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the The Hague page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/07/15