Veggie World

Chinese vegetarian restaurant, a detour off M 1 Motorway. Mostly vegan food, has a lunch box menu, daily specials, and many mock meat dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-Friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese, Asian

First Review by bavegan
annette
annette

HIdden Gem

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

We went to Vege world Tuesday and unfortunately it was closed. We returned Wednesday and were not disappointed. The small chinese cafe style restaurant was clean and the staff were friendly. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We will definitely go back again.

Cons: limited opening times
Icahlua
Icahlua

This is my most favourite local restaurant!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

I love living only a few miles away from this place - you can't get food like this anywhere else!

I'm a big fan of mock meats however the tofu dishes are fantastic too. I normally go for the veggie ji skewers ('chick*n' & satay), veggie roast pork noodles and veggie asam fish. Have always enjoyed everything I have ever chosen from the menu.

Highly recommended - I always take my friends/family here when I can (mostly meat-eaters) and they really enjoy eating here too!

They also sell mock meats and all sorts of goodies on their website for cooking at home.

Please note they are open Weds - Saturdays 11:30 am - 2:30pm and then 5:00pm - 10:00pm. They do not accept credit card payments however there is a (free) cash point across the road so it's no big deal.

p.s. I have no idea why the reviewer from 2007 said that Veggie World was 'nothing special'. I was amazed when I first came across this awesome place!

Pros: Delicious and unique food, Quick service, Consistently good value for money
Cons: Do not deliver, Not open sunday - tuesday, Would prefer if relocated to Central MK
Azrayel
Azrayel

All kinds of NOM

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

This is our go-to for tasty vegan take-away. A great menu of Chinese and oriental inspired food and the vast majority of it is vegan (I think the only exception is the cheese spring rolls). Really hearty and delicious, and tastes just like the non-vegan version which makes it great for fussy non-vegan friends and family members. I regularly feed my omnivorous friends on this grub, and I've not had many complaints! In fact, if I get take-away here without inviting my non-vegan partner, he gets a right hump about it!

Pros: Delicious, Generous portions, Excellent value
Cons: Only Chinese and oriental food, Closed 2-3 days a week
angellizbeth
angellizbeth

Yummy Veggie Meals

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

I have been coming to this restaurant for the past four years and have always enjoyed the food which is clean, tasty and good portions, the service which is always very friendly and considerate, although I would like to see them in a less like cafe premises, the fact that it is cafe like probably keeps the prices down which I have also enjoyed. You cannot go wrong even meat eaters find the veggie meats very close in taste to the carnivores meats. They are my number one preferred place to eat in Milton Keynes.

Pros: Very tasty food, Very Friendly service, Nice variety of choices
Cons: Would be better with more than one loo.
bazjscott
bazjscott

Amazing Chinese food

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

First the bad, the website and the exterior make this place look a bit like a tacky cafe, ignore this, please.

The staff are friendly, so much so that most of the other people arriving were greeted by name, sometimes with hugs and often when they ordered a dish the waitress knew they would want the tomatos left out or some other change. We were served quickly without being rushed and left to enjoy our food.

The food is amazing, we chose a mixed appetiser starter with ribs, satay chicken, won ton, spring rolls and crispy seaweed, all vegan subsitutes. It was all delicious but the satay chicken was amazing. Main courses were just as good and for dessert the vegan ice cream and Rabbit Buns (a traditional chinese sweet dough with som kind of fruit paste in the middle) are a new favirite of mine, you get 4 and they would be perfect for children and adults to share.

The food was as close to meat as I think I have ever had, it smelt, tasted and felt like real Chinese food, whilst not being too greasy it had enough to make it believable real.

The menu here is huge, I will be going back to work my way through some more of it.

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Staff
Cons: Exterior, Website, Not nearer to my house

ziggy_patchy
ziggy_patchy

Great food, Great service!

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

After finding this place on the happycow iphone app(great tool by the way!), we had to try it out!
We managed to find the place easily, the postcode on the website took us to parking behind veggie-world.
Upon entering we were greeted with a smile and offered to sit wherever we pleased...I like this as sometimes waiters sit you far to close to others near by which isn't too nice.
The menu is extensive and comprehensive with lots and lots to choose from! It is undoubtedly somewhere you could go with a big family and have a real versitile mix of dishes to choose from!
I would recommend you booked a table as space is limited.

The quality of the food was second to none! Great chinese food and the meat replacements are top quality and very well prepared.
Portion sizes were perfect and overall it was great value for money.
The service was friendly and well balanced. Food was delivered in great time.

This restaraunt is a must for anyone in the surrounding area, we travelled around 20 miles and would have gone further had we needed to!
Shall be recommending this place to friends and family!

Pros: taste, service, price
Cons: size, we need more of these eateries!
catherius
catherius

The Best Chinese Food!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

My hubby and I have been going to Veggie World for years. We have had the pleasure of trying nearly all of the dishes on the menu and never once have we been disappointed. All dishes are reasonably priced, made with fresh vegetables and full of flavour. As with any Chinese dish, how many vegetables you get depends on the dish so order according to your preference. You can order pure vegetable dishes, dishes with tofu or mock meats, noodle dishes as well as starters, soups and desserts. Nearly everything is vegan and what isn't is clearly marked. If in doubt ask the staff who are friendly and helpful. Try the Rendang Curry or Crispy Chilli Veggie Beef on plain fried rice (no egg) if you're around and don't forget a pancake roll and satay 'chicken' skewers to start. (The pancake rolls are simply heavenly!)Finish it off with some banana fritters and you will be not be disappointed. Even my omnivorous family members love the food! =)

Pros: Great Taste, Freshly made, Lots of choice
Cons: Far from where we live!
otherside27
otherside27

Excited to go...hmm.

3 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

So I was super excited to try this out, it's not a restaurant it's a takeaway with tables essentially!! Call it a cafe. So, I checked out the menu online and thought the aromatic duck would be the mock duck all vegans know - from the can, "meaty" texture. This stuff was essentially toast. Tasted like muffins and was not a hit with anyone, vegan or omni. The mock chicken satay was popular (I didn't get any!!) as well as the fried "pork" which was popular with the younger ones. Chicken balls were amazing - the BEST sweet and sour sauce, nice and lemony and not just ridiculously sweet. Noodle dishes were nice - came with the duck we expected so why can't they use it for the aromatic duck dish? Was way more expensive than I thought (~£90 for 4 adults and 2 young children) that was probably the "duck" bread which we did not ask to take home! Took everything else home as leftovers, was only one small carton as everything except the duck was well received with few complaints from the omnis! Probably an amazing takeaway but not really a "restaurant" experience; not really many places to go in the area so defo a good place to know! 5 star food hygiene rated sticker on the door was reassuring also. I think if you know what to order (and what to avoid!) your experience will be top notch, but I was so disappointed with the "aromatic duck" - especially as it was so expensive for deep fried bread!!!

Pros: Wide range of foods, Excellent sweet&sour sauce, All vegan bar 1 item
Cons: Aromatic duck tastes of bread, Café style so bit small for big groups, Bit hard to find
Emorp
Emorp

Low key gem

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

We are so lucky to live near this restaurant. Full Chinese menu with unparalleled selection of meat substitutes.
The chicken style (ji) satay sticks are a highlight, as is the sesame ji, and the dumplings.
Consistently good for take away, as well as eat in.

Pros: Vegan selection, Good prices, Good portion size
Cons: Closed Mon and Tues
emzy1985
emzy1985

We go as often as we can!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

My partner and I often frequent Veggie World and it just occurred to me that I had never written a review.

The food at Veggie World is entirely vegan, bar one dish which has cheese on it. (Very strange!) The staff are friendly and the food is the best Chinese food I have ever had in my entire life. I especially love and would recommend the Mock mutton curry and aromatic rice. There are also plenty of vegetable options for those not liking the mock meats. If you haven't been, you need to go! :)

Pros: Delicious, Reasonable, Friendly
Georgina
Georgina

Excellent all-round

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

I go here whenever I can as I live nearby and think it's a fantastic place. The service is great, there are loads of regulars (always a good sign), I've never been told they've run out of anything, food has always been quick to be prepared/served, it's very clean and tidy, the vegan ice cream is a bonus! I'm working my way through the full menu and have only found one dish that was not good; besides that one myself and my veggie and meat-eating friends have always loved the place/atmosphere/food. It's not posh, a relaxed cafe-style atmosphere, although in evenings with dainty curtains and candles it does feel transformed. Note that it often closes over Chinese New Year. It's also quite small, but packed in (so probably does seat c40?) and I've never been turned away.

Pros: Great food, Great value for money, Great service/atmosphere
Cons: Short opening hours, Smallish
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Plenty of vegan choices - great satay -

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2008

Simple cafe / restaurant - functional design - clean & tidy - well laid out.

Chinese style "good karma" veggy place.

Child friendly - I thoroughly enjoyed a meal there with a group of friends - including 2 & 5 year olds.

Very busy when we were there early evening - we did not book - the team very happily rearranged tables to accomodate us.

It was obvious that diners at other tables were also enjoying their meals - I overheard plenty of superlatives.

Well designed menu's - emphasis on mock meats but enough veggies to satisfy me.

The satay with it's hot peanut dip came close to rivaling "May Kaidee" in Bangkok.

Good selection of fresh juices & teas.

bavegan
bavegan

Eh, so so

3 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2007

Decent food, but nothing special... Plenty of mock meats, but not enough vegetable.

Pros: Good mock meats, Friendly staff
Cons: Not enough Veggies

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie World: